New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Weldless Build Using Strut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #531
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdoyle View Post
This thread rocks...I've been looking at weldless stands for awhile and this looks like a winner.....I have the hardware on order and will get the uni strut at Lowes....My question is heat!! How hot does the stand get during a hour long boil? If I have a silicone hose that makes contact with the stand will I run the risk of burning it? This metal is all interconnected so just wondering.
Thanks.
The Uni Strut will get hot enough -- especially around the burners -- to burn you. I know. However, you should not have any problem with silicon hoses melting. They do make baking dishes out of silicon and they go in a hotter oven.

Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #532
Da_Jakthund
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Here's the stand I've designed in SketchUp using a "strut" component. The plan is to build this out in the next month or so.

I plan on adding casters near the end of the lower rails ala Ruby Street Brewing so the stand is not on wheels while brewing, but can be wheeled around by the table off the right end and stood up on the left end for a small foot print. I also plan on adding gas lines 2-3 pumps, water filter and chiller (CFC or Plate, undecided).

Where are you guys getting your gas lines and regulators for splitting your connection from your LP tank?

Any recommendations on where I can get a heat shield for banjo burners?

-Jason

Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #533
Ddubduder
Brewing Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Jakthund
Here's the stand I've designed in SketchUp using a "strut" component. The plan is to build this out in the next month or so.

I plan on adding casters near the end of the lower rails ala Ruby Street Brewing so the stand is not on wheels while brewing, but can be wheeled around by the table off the right end and stood up on the left end for a small foot print. I also plan on adding gas lines 2-3 pumps, water filter and chiller (CFC or Plate, undecided).

Where are you guys getting your gas lines and regulators for splitting your connection from your LP tank?

Any recommendations on where I can get a heat shield for banjo burners?

-Jason
I used some sheet steel from homedepot. It's in the chimney/furnace aisle meant for make your down chimney, think it was about 6-7 bucks for a 36in piece. Worked great.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #534
b-boy

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdoyle View Post
This thread rocks...I've been looking at weldless stands for awhile and this looks like a winner.....I have the hardware on order and will get the uni strut at Lowes....My question is heat!! How hot does the stand get during a hour long boil? If I have a silicone hose that makes contact with the stand will I run the risk of burning it? This metal is all interconnected so just wondering.
Thanks.
My stand gets hot within about 8 inches of the pot. Farther than that it is safe to touch. I was surprised how quickly the heat dissipates.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #535
Da_Jakthund
Recipes 

When building your stand, did you guys use fittings with 2 holes per side or just one? Would you do it differently?

Brewski- I didn't realize how liberally I borrowed from your design, I may do a little more yet! Nice work.

Where have you guys been sourcing your LP gas hardware, like tank connectors, needle valves and the flex hosing to connect to the burners?

Thanks.

-Jason

Old 06-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #536
b-boy

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Jakthund View Post
When building your stand, did you guys use fittings with 2 holes per side or just one? Would you do it differently?

Brewski- I didn't realize how liberally I borrowed from your design, I may do a little more yet! Nice work.

Where have you guys been sourcing your LP gas hardware, like tank connectors, needle valves and the flex hosing to connect to the burners?

Thanks.

-Jason
I used 2-hole fittings. Honestly, the one hole fittings would probably be more than sufficient. I generally over-engineer everything. If it needs one nail - I use ten.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #537
cracked1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Jakthund

Thanks.

-Jason
I mostly used the one hole per side brackets/connectors. If you look at the spec sheets even those have way more strength than what we really need.

I've seen some of the best prices on the LP accessories at Amazon. You can find regulators, needle valves, burners, etc there. I picked up this regulator and hose - http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-Adjustible-Regulator-Assembely/dp/B007PS0938/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0

My LHBS carries the needle valves too so that's where I got mine. My burners came from my old turkey fryers which I attacked with an angle grinder so I was able to use the windscreens from them too. The flex lines I got from Lowes and then found a shorter version at a small mom and pop plumbing shop. The flex line packages have adapters to go from 1/2" pipe to 3/8" flare so I used one of those to attach the regulator line to the black pipe.

I was going to change my signature but I ran out of clever.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:48 AM   #538
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Just reading this article in BYO and uve def peaked my interest.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 06-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #539
Da_Jakthund
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracked1 View Post
I mostly used the one hole per side brackets/connectors. If you look at the spec sheets even those have way more strength than what we really need.

I've seen some of the best prices on the LP accessories at Amazon. You can find regulators, needle valves, burners, etc there. I picked up this regulator and hose - http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-Adjustible-Regulator-Assembely/dp/B007PS0938/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0

My LHBS carries the needle valves too so that's where I got mine. My burners came from my old turkey fryers which I attacked with an angle grinder so I was able to use the windscreens from them too. The flex lines I got from Lowes and then found a shorter version at a small mom and pop plumbing shop. The flex line packages have adapters to go from 1/2" pipe to 3/8" flare so I used one of those to attach the regulator line to the black pipe.
With the 1 hole fittings, any issues with horizontal(side to side) sway? Any thoughts of needing cross beam supports?

What is the black pipe you used? 1/2 inch threaded steel pipe and brass fittings? I think I found the gas appliance install kit on Lowes website, is this what you used? - http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=134133-72906-PSC1081&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3130337&catalogId=10051& cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Old 06-15-2013, 03:58 AM   #540
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Damn you guys, just ordered up my materials. 6 sticks from Lowes (it'll be just barely enough), 105 lbs in connectors and hardware from strut channel fittings, casters from ebay, and a $40 chop saw off Craigslist. Super over-engineered but whatever, it'll work. And all that pales in comparison to the remainder of the electrical brewery on my credit card.

For those buying from strut channel fittings, coupon code SAVE will get you 10% off. Saved me $20 or so.

Quick Reply