Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Weldless Build Using Strut

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #511
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Any issue with this one?

Lowes

Blog:
http://riverwards.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @ecoffy
Instagram: @ecoff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #512
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
Any issue with this one?

Lowes
That is the same strut that I used for my build. It will work just fine. You might want to get your fittings online at the place where gifty orignally bought his (I can't recall the name now). I bought mine from there and it was much cheaper than Lowes or Home Depot. I bought the strut from Home Depot because it was easy and not that expensive.

Mark

Old 05-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #513
FTG-05
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiInIdaho View Post
That is the same strut that I used for my build. It will work just fine. You might want to get your fittings online at the place where gifty orignally bought his (I can't recall the name now). I bought mine from there and it was much cheaper than Lowes or Home Depot. I bought the strut from Home Depot because it was easy and not that expensive.

Mark
I agree: http://www.strutchannelfittings.com/

Primary:
Joe's Ancient Old Mead (JAOM) 10/26/2012
American Wheat
English Bitter
Apple Jack's Limeade Skeeter Pee
Secondary:
Skeeter Pee 10/6/2012
Bottled:
NB Cream Ale and AK47 Pale Mild

Old 05-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #514
marshallbeer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
i don't see any reason why you can't use the non-square version. it will be plenty strong.
Just did it on the supports. May end up changing it.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:15 AM   #515
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 632 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallbeer View Post
Just did it on the supports. May end up changing it.
any particular reason why?

i haven't used strut yet, my current build uses angled steel (version 2.0 will be strut), so i'm most interested in hearing about your experience with non-square strut.

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #516
reuliss
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Here's mine that I assembled this weekend. Still lots to do (add burners, propane lines, RIMS system, etc), but you can get a sense for where I'm going with it. I modeled it after one of the MoreBeer sculptures. I like the layout as a good space saver.

20130519_182528.jpg  

Old 05-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #517
gifty74
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuliss View Post
Here's mine that I assembled this weekend. Still lots to do (add burners, propane lines, RIMS system, etc), but you can get a sense for where I'm going with it. I modeled it after one of the MoreBeer sculptures. I like the layout as a good space saver.
Cool, glad you were able to find the material and get a stand going. Just wondering if you were planning to make any changes, or if this is the way you were going to keep it going into brew day. I ask because I think there could be a potential for stability/structural problems with the way it is as posted in the picture. Let us know.

Also, not sure if you knew this or not, but one of the great things about strut is the built-in channel locking system. The strut profile makes for a channel on the underside that when used with the strut locking nuts, allows you to put a fitting anywhere you want, not just where there's a hole/slot in the top side of the strut. I ask because it looks like all of your bolt head are showing on the top side of the strut. If you look at my first original post you can see that all of the bolt heads are on the underside of the material, out of the way, and locked into the channel on the underside with the strut nuts. Just wondering if you knew and just wanted to do it a different way, or if you did not know about the channel and associated nuts.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #518
reuliss
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifty74 View Post
Cool, glad you were able to find the material and get a stand going. Just wondering if you were planning to make any changes, or if this is the way you were going to keep it going into brew day. I ask because I think there could be a potential for stability/structural problems with the way it is as posted in the picture. Let us know.

Also, not sure if you knew this or not, but one of the great things about strut is the built-in channel locking system. The strut profile makes for a channel on the underside that when used with the strut locking nuts, allows you to put a fitting anywhere you want, not just where there's a hole/slot in the top side of the strut. I ask because it looks like all of your bolt head are showing on the top side of the strut. If you look at my first original post you can see that all of the bolt heads are on the underside of the material, out of the way, and locked into the channel on the underside with the strut nuts. Just wondering if you knew and just wanted to do it a different way, or if you did not know about the channel and associated nuts.

Yeah, I'm considering adding two supports because of your point. That said, I'm only doing five gallon batches, and as it stands right now (no pun intended), it is really, really solid. All the same, I look at it and feel the same urge you do about adding some center supports under the lowest tier.

As far as the channeling, that is something I figured out after I was pretty far along in the build, and I've slowly started turning some of the pieces around for that purpose. I was only able to get a limited selection of fittings at my local hardware store, so I was sort of forced to figure out ways to bring everything together. After having worked with it for a weekend, though, I do feel like I might have put it together a bit differently.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #519
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 401 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuliss View Post
Yeah, I'm considering adding two supports because of your point. That said, I'm only doing five gallon batches, and as it stands right now (no pun intended), it is really, really solid. All the same, I look at it and feel the same urge you do about adding some center supports under the lowest tier.
I'd second the center supports for your stand.

Right now your brackets are handling most of the load. I think over time, with repeated heating/cooling (not to mention the weight of the pots) they will probably warp. Even with 5-gallon batches you might have close to 9 gallons of pre-boil wort sitting on your stand. That could put you close to 80-90 lbs plus the weight of your cooler/hlt.

You want any downward forces to be directed through the strut, which was designed to handle a lot of weight.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #520
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 632 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 247

what others have said... center support suggested/recommended.

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Quick Reply