Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Weldless Build Using Strut

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #471
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 383 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I paid about $11 per foot. I ordered 5 ft sections from strutchannelfittings.com. It looks like the prices have changed. When I bought mine the longer pieces were more expensive. I think it's because of the shipping, which is built into the price.

My stand is about 50% SS, 50% galvanized. I think the SS added about $300 to the build. For me it was worth it.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #472
gifty74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy
I paid about $11 per foot. I ordered 5 ft sections from strutchannelfittings.com. It looks like the prices have changed. When I bought mine the longer pieces were more expensive. I think it's because of the shipping, which is built inot the price.

My stand is about 50% SS, 50% galizanized. I think the SS added about $300 to the build. For me it was worth it.
B-boy, can you snap some pics of the SS and how it's holding up with the direct heat? I was going to say too, I got a price of $80 for 10' stick locally and just wanted to make sure that was decent.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #473
b-boy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifty74 View Post
B-boy, can you snap some pics of the SS and how it's holding up with the direct heat? I was going to say too, I got a price of $80 for 10' stick locally and just wanted to make sure that was decent.
That sounds like a good price. I couldn't find the SS locally. I went with SS bolts, nuts, and some fittings around the burners. Again, it was a little pricey, but I'm happy with the results.

I've only used it for 3 brew sessions so far, and a couple of trial runs. All I've seen is some discoloration due to the soot being spit out by my burners (that's another issue I'm trying to work through). My idea was to avoid any direct flames on the non-SS parts. My design worked, but it made the stand a little longer than I would have liked. Overall, I'm happy with the final product.

I haven't taken pictures yet, but I will try to upload some tonight.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #474
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When I priced stuff out for mine it is cheaper to order the pieces from strutchannelfittings in the correct smaller sizes than to order the stainless precut. Now I just need to skip a few brewing sessions to save the money for the stand.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #475
marshallbeer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I found mine on Craigslist. I paid $12.50 for 20' lengths.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #476
b-boy

Recipes 

Quote:
Here are a few pics. It's a 2-tier, 2-burner system running on NG.

I also have a water tie-in that I hook up to an RV water filter so I have a dedicated water source. I have a QD on the water source so I can hook it to my immersion chiller, or add a hose to clean or fill pots.

I have 75 feet of PVC gas hose because the site I bought it from kept sending me hoses, even though I kept calling them and telling them to stop (I can now brew in the next county).

I'm setup with a single pump. I use it for fluid transfer and whirlpooling.

You can clearly see where my burners are and how far the flames spread. I'm having some soot issues with my burners. It cleans up with a scrubby and some barkeepers friend. I'm not too worried about it. The stainless is holding up fine. I've already burned myself twice because I keep forgetting how hot the top of the stand gets. The weiIrd thing is, anything 8 inches or more from the flames stays pretty cool.

The entire top of the unit is SS, as are any vertical pieces that are touched by flames. Likewise, all bolts, nuts, and bracket pieces that are touched by a flame are SS. I probably could have gotten away with using less SS strut with the same results.

I may put up more information on a build thread at some point. I think I stole ideas from just about everyone on this thread, so thanks to all.
dsc00124.jpg   dsc00137.jpg   dsc00139.jpg   dsc00136.jpg   dsc00127.jpg  

Old 04-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #477
gifty74
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Nice looking stand. You are right though, the SS really gets discolored. I'm not even sure that is a soot issue. My buddy has an exact Brutus 10 clone, with the 2" SS square tube and all. After just a few sessions his was looking exactly like yours, and he was not sooting much at all that we could see. It has gotten a good bit worse (he probably has 25 batches on it now). Not much you can do about it I don't think, just the coloring of the material with pretty high heat/temps. Just wondering if it's really worth the price difference. The galvanized I used burns off, and leaves that dull metal look, but it is not rusting and don't think it will, at least not for a few years. The SS seems to get a lot more discolored.

Are you having issues getting a good blue flame with your burners? I'm also running NG on similar burners and don't notice any soot on the frame or keggles.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:58 AM   #478
b-boy

Recipes 

Quote:
Nice looking stand. You are right though, the SS really gets discolored. I'm not even sure that is a soot issue. My buddy has an exact Brutus 10 clone, with the 2" SS square tube and all. After just a few sessions his was looking exactly like yours, and he was not sooting much at all that we could see. It has gotten a good bit worse (he probably has 25 batches on it now). Not much you can do about it I don't think, just the coloring of the material with pretty high heat/temps. Just wondering if it's really worth the price difference. The galvanized I used burns off, and leaves that dull metal look, but it is not rusting and don't think it will, at least not for a few years. The SS seems to get a lot more discolored.

Are you having issues getting a good blue flame with your burners? I'm also running NG on similar burners and don't notice any soot on the frame or keggles.
I'm not too worried about how it looks. I like not having to worry about rusting. Everything metal in my garage rusts. The climate sucks here.

I am having sooting issues. I've found the first burner in line has issues when I run both flames. It's a pain because I have to wipe it off of my pots. If I keep the burners on high it's not too bad, but if I turn them down below 50% I get the yellow flames on the first burner. i'm thinking of lowering the burners a few inches. I am running a regulator as well. Maybe I can make some adjustments there as well. I'm thinking that if I can increase the pressure it might fix my problem.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #479
ultimatesports
Recipes 

Not much you can do about the discoloration now, but for anyone building one using a heat shield will take care of the discoloration. I use a single burner stand because I BIAB and there is a seller who makes stainless heat shields for the Bayou Classic burners. The heat shield gets discolored, and BRIGHT red when brewing, but the stainless on the stand looks great!

Old 04-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #480
b-boy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatesports View Post
Not much you can do about the discoloration now, but for anyone building one using a heat shield will take care of the discoloration. I use a single burner stand because I BIAB and there is a seller who makes stainless heat shields for the Bayou Classic burners. The heat shield gets discolored, and BRIGHT red when brewing, but the stainless on the stand looks great!
I decided to see what it would take to get rid of the SS discoloration. First off, I did some research and it's normal for SS to discolor at high heats. I got recommendations for BKF, white vinegar, and nitric acid (yikes). I passed on the nitric acid. When they mentioned chemical gloves and a respirator, I tapped out.

First, I got a green scrubby and some warm water - no soap. With medium pressure I was able to remove about 80% of the discoloration. That's more than good enough for me. If it were not for the sake of Science I would have stopped there.

Next I used the vinegar with the scrubby. Didn't seem to do much.

The BKF was last. It did a better job, but I didn't kill myself scrubbing either. I used the liquid, but I prefer the powder. I think it does a much better job.

Overall I'd say I took off 90% of the discoloration in about 10 minutes. This was from 4-5 1-hour burner sessions. Hope that helps anyone on the fence about the SS.

As for me, this is the cleanest my stand will ever be. I'm just too damn lazy to scrub it down every time, so thanks for that!

Quick Reply