Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Weldless Build Using Strut

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #421
TerraNova
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver
marshallbeer.... Why wouldn't you mount the CFC vertically? That way it will drain out when you're done and unhook it.
That's been a huge design issue I am having with my rig. I want it vertically mounted so it will drain via gravity but then the exit end is lower than the top of my fermentor. I could raise the height of my rig but then the top of the vessels would be at an awkward height. Or i could mount it horizontal and use a pump but I feel that adding a pump to the chilling aspect is asking for infection trouble (I know, I know people do it all the time and they pre circ boiling wort to sanitize the pump and lines but I believe it will be an issue for me. Just too many small parts inline for my paranoia to accept).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #422
gifty74
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What fermenter are you using that is that tall?

Old 03-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #423
sccrgolee
Recipes 

your cfc is already hinged to come out and away from the stand, why not add another hinge that allows you to extend the cfc up once it is away from the stand. so a horizantally moving hinge adn then a vertically moving hinge. does that make sense??

Old 03-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #424
marshallbeer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraNova View Post
That's been a huge design issue I am having with my rig. I want it vertically mounted so it will drain via gravity but then the exit end is lower than the top of my fermentor. I could raise the height of my rig but then the top of the vessels would be at an awkward height. Or i could mount it horizontal and use a pump but I feel that adding a pump to the chilling aspect is asking for infection trouble (I know, I know people do it all the time and they pre circ boiling wort to sanitize the pump and lines but I believe it will be an issue for me. Just too many small parts inline for my paranoia to accept).
I think I'm gonna have to pump the wort through my chiller. I agree with your worries, but I'm going to gie it a shot.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #425
TerraNova
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifty74 View Post
What fermenter are you using that is that tall?
What fermenter ISN'T at least 20" tall?

Top of fermenter 20" tall on the floor (ale pale or 6.5g carboy) + 2" to create a drop for gravity + 8.5" for CFC in vertical position (which would mean you would somehow need to attach it to your stand at that exact height and not have to worry about the heat from the burners making your chiller melt) + 2" to create a drop for gravity + 18" tall kettle = 50.5" to top of the kettle.

50.5" to the top of the kettle for a single tier. That's a bit higher than comfortable in order to stir/add hops/ other activities in BK. Good luck pouring 20 lbs of grain into your MLT in a smooth easy to stir manner above the 50 inch top of your kettle. Maybe you are taller than me, but my armpits are around that height. Sounds weird but even 4 inches of height make everything more manageable. Having that tall of a set up defeats the WHOLE PURPOSE of a single tier.

However, if you have a 2 or 3 tier your mash tun might be over your eye level, (on a 3 tier your HLT will be over your head = INSANITY)

Old 03-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #426
TerraNova
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallbeer View Post
I think I'm gonna have to pump the wort through my chiller. I agree with your worries, but I'm going to gie it a shot.
It seems to work for many, many people. So I could be overly paranoid. Good luck, your set up is SWEET!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #427
Ddubduder
Brewing Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraNova
(on a 3 tier your HLT will be over your head) = INSANITY.
Amen, completely baffled by why someone would want 150 degree water that high... Let alone a stainless steel vessel. But, that's my opinion.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #428
gifty74
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You don't need any height to account for the CFC. It does not need to be higher than the fermenter. You can keep your stand height like mine at 20", gravity feed down to the CFC on the ground, and it will flow up and into the fermenter above it. Unless you have major restrictions, all that matters for gravity is that the feeding vessel is higher than the accepting. Given that, the flow rate through my CFC is still too slow, so I pump through to my fermenter on the ground. Going to also start to whirlpool at the end of boil so I'm going to already have the cooling circuit and pump already plumbed in.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #429
marshallbeer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
You don't need any height to account for the CFC. It does not need to be higher than the fermenter. You can keep your stand height like mine at 20", gravity feed down to the CFC on the ground, and it will flow up and into the fermenter above it. Unless you have major restrictions, all that matters for gravity is that the feeding vessel is higher than the accepting. Given that, the flow rate through my CFC is still too slow, so I pump through to my fermenter on the ground. Going to also start to whirlpool at the end of boil so I'm going to already have the cooling circuit and pump already plumbed in.
Thanks Gifty! I'm gonna do a practice run before brewing anways and I will see how it cools without a pump and make a decision there as to wheather I need to pump the wort through my CFC or if gravity should work fine. I do have a cheap false bottom in my boil keetle and it's worked well to filter out the hop gunk.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #430
TerraNova
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Yes, it CAN be done. I have seen it first hand.

But, it is a pain. Flow rate is slow and hard to adjust. And you leave any wort in the CFC once the feeding vessel is empty (lame on a small batch). I thought the whole point of building a rig is to streamline and make as many things as possible easy. Having the rig set up for efficiency is ideal.

Quick Reply