New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Weldless Build Using Strut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #351
HDIr0n
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFlame View Post
All the people that are still worried about the zinc, is that because your using a gas system? I just want to make sure that I'm not the only electric brewer that isn't worried. I just don't see how an electric rig could get hot enough externally to dissolve/flake off the zinc coating.
Yes it is due to the burners, you will not heat up the stand enough to worry about the zinc burning. Due to the way the heating elements work (heating up the water directly vs. indirectly with burners) it will never get that hot.

On my current stand which was the galvanized angle, it burned off the first time I did a wet run, and never noticed the fumes in the subsequent brews.

-G

My Brutus 20 build

My Brutus/1550 Failed build

“Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."

– David Wallace

bobbrewedit Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 01:29 AM   #352
LiquidFlame
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDIr0n View Post

Yes it is due to the burners, you will not heat up the stand enough to worry about the zinc burning. Due to the way the heating elements work (heating up the water directly vs. indirectly with burners) it will never get that hot.

On my current stand which was the galvanized angle, it burned off the first time I did a wet run, and never noticed the fumes in the subsequent brews.

-G
Is your current stand electric or gas?

Old 02-11-2013, 02:09 AM   #353
HDIr0n
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFlame View Post
Is your current stand electric or gas?
I have ran it first as electric then converted to gas. I have brewed about 25 batches on it. After that first burn in, I couldn't detect any zinc fumes thereafter.

HTH,
-G

My Brutus 20 build

– David Wallace

Old 02-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #354
bobbrewedit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisharvey View Post
Do you have a cut list? That's exactly how I want to build mine
Message sent. As soon as it's complete I'll post the info here, unless someone else needs it sooner. Good luck bud!

Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #355
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDIr0n View Post

-G
Thanks for posting this. I was starting to wonder with all the vinegar talk, what it was going to take for me to make it safe. This is what I originally assumed, but we all know what happens when all you go on is an assumption!

Old 02-12-2013, 03:51 AM   #356
HDIr0n
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrewedit View Post
Thanks for posting this. I was starting to wonder with all the vinegar talk, what it was going to take for me to make it safe. This is what I originally assumed, but we all know what happens when all you go on is an assumption!
No worries, it is better to ask the "dumb" question than to make an "assume"tion.

-G

My Brutus 20 build

– David Wallace

Old 02-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #357
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDIr0n

No worries, it is better to ask the "dumb" question than to make an "assume"tion.

-G
The only reason I was going to do vinegar or gradual torch burns was so it burned off evenly instead of only burning the sections that get flame licked. That way the whole top section of my stand would be a matching rust color. :-)

I think I'm just going to go stainless on my boil kettle section anyway since my HLT and MLT are going to be electric. I only need to buy two 3' sections. Not too bad.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #358
b-boy

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
The bayouclassicdepot 10 tip burners are some of the cheapest quality out there look through old threads where people have tips fall out and cant thread back in. Just look at their disclaimer on the page about how none of them are tested and you cant return them.

Much better quality can be found here http://www.topfoodservice.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=KECABJ
Thanks for the tip. I ordered from these guys - http://www.topfoodservice.com.

The items shipped yesterday, which is actually still earlier than Bayou Classic Depot (even after the 2 weeks I spent waiting for them to repond to my original order). I'm pretty impressed by how fast they got the order out the door.

The weird thing is that they don't take credit cards online. I had to order online, wait for an email with shipping/tax added, then call back and give them my card number. That added 2 days to the process. I don't understand how a company can function online without taking credit cards or at least PayPal? Normally, I wouldn't have bothered completing the order because of that, but I really needed the items.

I canceled my Bayou Classic Depot order, but I haven't received a response from them yet. Hopefully I don't get another box of burners on my doorstep in a few days. I definitely won't deal with them again.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #359
bucfanmike

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

im going to start my cutting tomorrow for my stand. Ill be using converted kegs. I dont want to cut all the multiple 45s for the classic look of pot supports. I want my kegs to sit directly on the long spans and the short supports that form the squares. I am thinking of 13" cuts, which with the 1 5/8 struts will make the overall depth just over 16". Im using the big banjo burners. Would I be better to cut it down to 12" to make sure there is enough frame for a good solid area for the kegs?

Mike in Duluth

Currently on Tap
1. Hefeweizen
2. BM Centennial Blonde
3. LHMS Clone

Pipeline
Next on Tap-Denny Conn Rye IPA
Kegged and aging Ed Worts Apfelwine, Denny Conn BVIP
Fermenters -

Old 02-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #360
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 118 Posts

I used a $7 BBQ grate for over a year doing 13.5 gallon boils. You'll be fine. Kegs are very strong. FWIW, I'm using keggles until I can afford my 25gal kettles and am only planning on using the two supports front to back to support them. With both the kegs stiffness and strength, and the same from the unistrut I don't foresee any problem at all. I will be rigging something to keep them from sliding though.

Quick Reply