Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Weldless Build Using Strut

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #341
ianw58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Much better quality can be found here http://www.topfoodservice.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=KECABJ

They have a good price and search the site for pilot also for around $5 you can get a pilot that threads into the burner they also have cool little manual pilot shutoff valves that fit 1/4 inch tubing and also cheap gas lines. $48 for a better quality burner is fair IMO... Plus there are many people on this forum who have used them and they are really happy with them.
What size burner do you recommend for a 15 gallon kettle - 16" diameter?

Do you have a source for the pilot light?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #342
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 402 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
The bayouclassicdepot 10 tip burners are some of the cheapest quality out there look through old threads where people have tips fall out and cant thread back in. Just look at their disclaimer on the page about how none of them are tested and you cant return them.

Im not sure how you plan on igniting the burners but also not that bayouclassicdepot burners the 10 tips do not have the threaded hole for a standing pilot..

Much better quality can be found here http://www.topfoodservice.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=KECABJ

They have a good price and search the site for pilot also for around $5 you can get a pilot that threads into the burner they also have cool little manual pilot shutoff valves that fit 1/4 inch tubing and also cheap gas lines. $48 for a better quality burner is fair IMO... Plus there are many people on this forum who have used them and they are really happy with them.
Awesome! Thanks. I have been googling for weeks and I never came accross that site. I don't have a problem spending the extra money, especially if I can get the burners in a reasonable time. I'm going to cancel my other order.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #343
b-boy
16%er

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianw58 View Post
Do you have a source for the pilot light?
Yes - I'd love to get more info on the pilot light. I originally had no plans to do this, but while I'm getting the burners I may as well take advantage of it. I'm not familiar with everything I would need. What pieces would I need to get?

Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #344
MrRoboto
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
Yes - I'd love to get more info on the pilot light. I originally had no plans to do this, but while I'm getting the burners I may as well take advantage of it. I'm not familiar with everything I would need. What pieces would I need to get?
Here is links on the same site all you have to do is type the word pilot into the search box they have several methods that will work well but this is what was original brutus 10 and on you will need this stuff

http://www.topfoodservice.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KECAP002&Cat egory_Code=
That same pilot is sold for $15 at a online homebrew store

a pilot tube there are several options for this as well you can use a gas hose also but this is a cheaper way to go
http://www.topfoodservice.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KECAP011&Cat egory_Code=

Some shutoff valses would make good adapters and be usefull coming out of gas piping on rig
http://www.topfoodservice.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KECAV015&Cat egory_Code=

Old 02-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #345
b-boy
16%er

Recipes 

Quote:

Here is links on the same site all you have to do is type the word pilot into the search box they have several methods that will work well but this is what was original brutus 10 and on you will need this stuff

http://www.topfoodservice.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KECAP002&Cat egory_Code=
That same pilot is sold for $15 at a online homebrew store

a pilot tube there are several options for this as well you can use a gas hose also but this is a cheaper way to go
http://www.topfoodservice.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KECAP011&Cat egory_Code=

Some shutoff valses would make good adapters and be usefull coming out of gas piping on rig
http://www.topfoodservice.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KECAV015&Cat egory_Code=
Thanks. Appreciate the information.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:18 AM   #346
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 772 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 529

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraNova View Post
Thanks, this combined with the zinc flaking off during a brew session makes me think Stainless is the way to go for me.

Someone suggested soaking the metal in vinegar (or other acid I am assuming)...how do you soak 5 foot metal rods at home? To get it done commercially would make it cheaper to go with stainless.
I'd use a length of pipe stood up with the bottom capped.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:33 AM   #347
HDIr0n
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I think if you spray it it will work as well, you just need an area available to do so. Then I would hit it with a wire brush on an angle grinder.

-G

My Brutus 20 build

My Brutus/1550 Failed build

“Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."

– David Wallace

Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #348
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
I'd use a length of pipe stood up with the bottom capped.
Brilliant idea there... couple of options to expand on that.

I would say use a piece of PVC, with the bottom capped. Lay it on an angle with the open end propped on a chair or something so you're not trying to work vertical... 5ft pipe plus 5ft strut requires 10ft-ish of clearance + control. Laying it down at a angle will let you work more horizontally. Make sure you use a peice of string on the Strut so you can pull it back out w/o haveing to dump it out and loose all the liquid.

or you could cut down the length of PVC pipe, and make a trough. cap both ends and fill it up.

Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #349
LiquidFlame
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts

All the people that are still worried about the zinc, is that because your using a gas system? I just want to make sure that I'm not the only electric brewer that isn't worried. I just don't see how an electric rig could get hot enough externally to dissolve/flake off the zinc coating.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #350
Chrisharvey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrewedit

Still waiting on casters and jet burners to show up in the mail, but I'm getting close. I've still gotta tap into the home natural gas line too.
Do you have a cut list? That's exactly how I want to build mine

Quick Reply