*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Weldless Build Using Strut
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #331
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rbeckett's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bronson, Fl
Posts: 986
Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

ANy build should be allowed to burn off the zinc before you ise it. Zinc Flu is no fun, keep your head and face away from the whispy gray fumes and let the zinc burn completely off on super dooper blow torch high so that you dont have a contamination issue later on. Zinc can be removed succesfully, but attention must be paid to insure it is all completely burned off prior to exposing your brew to zinc fumes. Take it from an old skool welder with COPD, dont take chances. It is much nicer to be able to breathe without struggling due to being young and stupid a long time ago. Just sayin,, be carefull with zinc and you will be just fine, but ya gotta eliminate it safely and completely to avoid issues later on.... Nuff said......
Wheelchair Bob

__________________

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Rbeckett is offline
TerraNova Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #332
LiquidFlame
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
LiquidFlame's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Normal, IL
Posts: 386
Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
ANy build should be allowed to burn off the zinc before you ise it. Zinc Flu is no fun, keep your head and face away from the whispy gray fumes and let the zinc burn completely off on super dooper blow torch high so that you dont have a contamination issue later on. Zinc can be removed succesfully, but attention must be paid to insure it is all completely burned off prior to exposing your brew to zinc fumes. Take it from an old skool welder with COPD, dont take chances. It is much nicer to be able to breathe without struggling due to being young and stupid a long time ago. Just sayin,, be carefull with zinc and you will be just fine, but ya gotta eliminate it safely and completely to avoid issues later on.... Nuff said......
Wheelchair Bob
And for those of us that don't have a blow torch or are going to be using gas burners, is there another way of removing it?
LiquidFlame is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #333
snaps10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 739
Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Soak it in vinegar I believe

__________________
snaps10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #334
TerraNova
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 78
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
ANy build should be allowed to burn off the zinc before you ise it. Zinc Flu is no fun, keep your head and face away from the whispy gray fumes and let the zinc burn completely off on super dooper blow torch high so that you dont have a contamination issue later on. Zinc can be removed succesfully, but attention must be paid to insure it is all completely burned off prior to exposing your brew to zinc fumes. Take it from an old skool welder with COPD, dont take chances. It is much nicer to be able to breathe without struggling due to being young and stupid a long time ago. Just sayin,, be carefull with zinc and you will be just fine, but ya gotta eliminate it safely and completely to avoid issues later on.... Nuff said......
Wheelchair Bob
Thanks, this combined with the zinc flaking off during a brew session makes me think Stainless is the way to go for me.

Someone suggested soaking the metal in vinegar (or other acid I am assuming)...how do you soak 5 foot metal rods at home? To get it done commercially would make it cheaper to go with stainless.
__________________
TerraNova is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #335
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
b-boy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GETZVILLE, NY
Posts: 2,501
Liked 455 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Default

I purchased 2 10-tip burners from Bayou Classic about 1-1/2 weeks ago. Anyone ever deal with these guys? I'm a little concerned by the way they do business. Just looking for some reassurance.

I placed my order online and received an email instructing me to call a phone to submit my CC information. When I called, I got an answering machine listing about 6 other companies they own. I left a voicemail. I never heard back, so I called them several times and finally got a pickup. I reluctantly gave them my CC info, even though I was a little bit leary about it. I never heard anything after that. No CC charge, no follow-up email, and no product. I honestly believe they never processed my order.

I called several times and I kept getting their answering machine. I finally left another message last night. Today I got an email saying the items are not available and will not ship till late next week. Honestly, if I could have gotten these burners somewhere else I probably would have.

__________________

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

b-boy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #336
bobbrewedit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: , California
Posts: 296
Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Hmmm, that's a bummer man. Bad business for sure.

__________________
bobbrewedit is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #337
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,079
Liked 657 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
I purchased 2 10-tip burners from Bayou Classic about 1-1/2 weeks ago. Anyone ever deal with these guys?
what is the URL that you ordered from?

there are many vendors have that "Bayou Classic" in them, it's like a freakin' franchise. BC is actually the manufacturer, i don't think they sell directly. their website, www.thebayou.com, uses www.pelicansky.com as their vendor. did you use them, or www.bayouclassicdepot.com, or www.bayouclassicstore.com, or from any number of others with "BC" in the URL...

(yes, i've been researching pots recently)
__________________
.
What hops should I grow? Hop grower's comparison table. Looking for cheap honey?

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA
sweetcell is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #338
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
b-boy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GETZVILLE, NY
Posts: 2,501
Liked 455 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
what is the URL that you ordered from?

there are many vendors have that "Bayou Classic" in them, it's like a freakin' franchise. BC is actually the manufacturer, i don't think they sell directly. their website, www.thebayou.com, uses www.pelicansky.com as their vendor. did you use them, or www.bayouclassicdepot.com, or www.bayouclassicstore.com, or from any number of others with "BC" in the URL...

(yes, i've been researching pots recently)
It was www.bayouclassicdepot.com. The wesbite looked OK, but it seems like there is 1 guy running everything behind the scenes. They seem to be the only place that has the 10-jet burners for less than $100 each. If I get them I'll be happy, but I hope I don't have to wait 3 months.

I guess I'm spoiled, but I'm used to ordering something online and getting it in 2 days, along with email confirmations and shipping notifications.
__________________

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

b-boy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #339
snaps10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 739
Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I may end up going with stainless for the section of mine under my boils kettle. My HLT will be electric and my LMT is going to be a RIMS at this time. The boil kettle will be the only thing Natural Gas. I should only need four 18" pieces and some angle brackets. Not too much money for my rig staying bling.
Has anyone attempted to paint the Superstrut without prepping the galvanized yet? I know they say its paint ready, but just curious if anyone had tried it yet.

__________________
snaps10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #340
MrRoboto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 54
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
It was www.bayouclassicdepot.com. The wesbite looked OK, but it seems like there is 1 guy running everything behind the scenes. They seem to be the only place that has the 10-jet burners for less than $100 each. If I get them I'll be happy, but I hope I don't have to wait 3 months.

I guess I'm spoiled, but I'm used to ordering something online and getting it in 2 days, along with email confirmations and shipping notifications.

The bayouclassicdepot 10 tip burners are some of the cheapest quality out there look through old threads where people have tips fall out and cant thread back in. Just look at their disclaimer on the page about how none of them are tested and you cant return them.

Im not sure how you plan on igniting the burners but also not that bayouclassicdepot burners the 10 tips do not have the threaded hole for a standing pilot..

Much better quality can be found here http://www.topfoodservice.com/Mercha...ry_Code=KECABJ

They have a good price and search the site for pilot also for around $5 you can get a pilot that threads into the burner they also have cool little manual pilot shutoff valves that fit 1/4 inch tubing and also cheap gas lines. $48 for a better quality burner is fair IMO... Plus there are many people on this forum who have used them and they are really happy with them.
__________________
MrRoboto is offline
CloverBrew Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weldless Shelving Single Tier Brew Stand + Fermentation Rack build Zamial DIY Projects 14 02-12-2014 01:22 PM
Need Weldless Bulkhead Kit for Keggle Build JMSetzler DIY Projects 5 05-10-2012 11:52 PM
Single tier weldless brewstand build tulsabrewdaddy DIY Projects 35 01-31-2012 02:31 PM
***Weldless Bottle Caper Build*** JewBrew DIY Projects 12 05-26-2010 02:16 PM
My Weldless Electric HERMS build jcdillin DIY Projects 94 12-04-2009 01:11 AM