New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Weldless Build Using Strut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 01:43 AM   #291
bobbrewedit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesSoda6 View Post

Looks great, make sure you have the proper btu rating by the time you hit your burners. But I did the gravity fed design.
I'm actually a little concerned about this. I've got 1/2" pipe into my laundry room that I'm going to tie into. I'm guessing that worse case, I'll have to make sure the dryer is off while brewing, but hard to tell without firing it up, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 04:17 AM   #292
JonesSoda6
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrewedit View Post

I'm actually a little concerned about this. I've got 1/2" pipe into my laundry room that I'm going to tie into. I'm guessing that worse case, I'll have to make sure the dryer is off while brewing, but hard to tell without firing it up, right?
Easy actually. Search for btu natural gas charts. Figure out length and diameter of pipes and appliance load. Improper load can starve your furnace and shorten its lifespan

Old 01-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #293
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 76

heypeterman4531 - I love your build! I'm strongly considering a two tier build myself, just haven't decided on whether to keep the mash tun and HLT on the same level or the kettle and HLT on the same level. I guess, looking at a build like yours, it probably makes sense getting a little extra height for the Kettle/Tun tier and keeping the HLT up by its lonesome.

Two questions though:
1) How did you accurately get the 45 degree angle cuts for your kettle supports and what kind of strut fittings did you use to mount them (ok, maybe that's two and not one?)?

2) Why two pumps for a two tier? Is it simply to save time from changing the connections in between operations, or are there certain operations where you need to have both pumps firing at once using this rig?

Old 01-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #294
heypeterman4531
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger
Two questions though:
1) How did you accurately get the 45 degree angle cuts for your kettle supports and what kind of strut fittings did you use to mount them (ok, maybe that's two and not one?)?

2) Why two pumps for a two tier? Is it simply to save time from changing the connections in between operations, or are there certain operations where you need to have both pumps firing at once using this rig?
The 45 degree cuts I made using a borrowed metal chop saw which had the ability to do the angled cuts for me. The first one I made I measured and cut a few times to get it right then used as a template for all the others. I wasn't really sure at first how I was going to mount the angled pieces, but ended up just attaching them using the standard 2-hole strut fitting and it's rock solid! Here's a photo of the connection:

image-1398494760.jpg

As far as using two pumps, the biggest reason I have two is because the stand I bought on Craigslist had two. But I've found two useful for a few reasons: 1. During the mash recirc with the Herms setup I obviously use one pump to movs the wort through the herms coil, but the second pump is useful to keep the HLT water flowing across the HERMS coil for better heat transfer, and a more accurate temp reading on my thermometer. 2. I found the second pump also useful (but not necessary) during the whirlpool. I hooked the pumps together in series to double the head and get a stronger whirlpool going. I hadn't expected that to be needed but it definitely was nice.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #295
LiquidFlame
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
does anyone have a Google SketchUp file for their single-tier build that they would be willing to share?

i'm just starting the planning phase of my rig and was hoping to take inspiration for others' work. still learning sketchup, so far so good...

thanks!
Sorry it took me so long to post pictures, but here you go. Tried uploading my SketchUp files, but HBT won't allow the file type. So if you want them, just PM me your email address.

These are the THK-227-L & THK-227-R fittings that some people wanted to see

People Like This 
Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #296
ianw58

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegis61 View Post
Lowes is currently closing out 10' sections of electro galvanized superstrut. The regular price was $18.69. Closeout price was $11.21.

I found a store in Huntsville that had 12 left and told them I wanted 8 @ $11.21 then talked them into throwing in the other 4 for nothing to close out their inventory. That ended up in a cost of $7.47 per 10' section.

I don't know if any lowes stores in your areas still have this but if they do, it's a good deal. Item number is 167125.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_167125-53911-ZA12HS10EG_0
According to the manager at my Lowe's, they're NOT closing this out.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #297
johns
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 25

your brutus clone looks sweet. The addition of the movable lcd panal give it a nice touch. Can I ask why in some places there is only one corner bolt in that side of the corner? Also what kind of controlers will you have on your rig?

Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder
WC Fields

Kegged: Centennial Blond

Bottled: Mambo in your mouth, Cranberry mead, Peach Ginger mead, HopSlam, Citra DIPA

Primary: Vanilla Bean Dark Lord.

Secondary: Firestone Walker Wooky Jack

Old 02-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #298
LiquidFlame

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns View Post
your brutus clone looks sweet. The addition of the movable lcd panal give it a nice touch. Can I ask why in some places there is only one corner bolt in that side of the corner? Also what kind of controlers will you have on your rig?
The reason why the THK-227-L & THK-227-R fittings don't have a bolt in each hole is, you can't. As you can see I had to drill holes on the side of the strut and with the way the holes line up, the nuts are too big to fit in each spot, they run into each other. I hope that makes sense.

The panel is "The Electric Brewery 50A Back to Back Kit", so the controlers are the same PIDs that they use.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #299
b-boy

Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 99

I'm trying to figure out the base height for my stand design. I'm using 2 NG jet burners. I'm thinking that my base without wheels will be 18 inches high. The burners will be positioned 4-5 inches below the brewpots. I'm planning on running 1/2" black iron pipe for the gas lines with shutoffs. This will give me a clearance of about 11-12 inches from the bottom of the burners to the ground/pipe.

Will this work? My concern is that my burners may be too close the the gas pipe.

Also, how much heat do these burners generate below? I'm considering a heat shield using some aluminum. I place my current burners on a piece of cement board because I have rubber flooring in my garage.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #300
Reaver
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
OK - this thread is starting to drive me nuts. It's been 3-weeks and I haven't ordered anything besides a pump.
Oh yeah... I keep checking back to see what's up. I have some Lowe's Gift Cards to burn up and I am building a stand! I need to get some #"s together before I buy... and then figure out how I'm going to get 10ft'ers home.

Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

Quick Reply