Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Weldless Build Using Strut

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #251
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatesports View Post
I just placed an order for a BIAB stand setup. Just for anyone's information, if you give them the lengths you need they will cut it for you for free and charge you by the foot. I paid the little extra $ than the Lowes channel to not have to hassle with getting a blade and cutting the metal. When you factor your time in its actually way cheaper and faster to have them cut your lengths.

Just an FYI
You're talking about g-p llc?

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #252
ultimatesports
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

That is correct

Old 01-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #253
LiquidFlame
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts

Wish I knew about that, probably would have bought the black powder coat strut pre-cut.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #254
BroStefan
Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatesports
I just placed an order for a BIAB stand setup. Just for anyone's information, if you give them the lengths you need they will cut it for you for free and charge you by the foot. I paid the little extra $ than the Lowes channel to not have to hassle with getting a blade and cutting the metal. When you factor your time in its actually way cheaper and faster to have them cut your lengths.

Just an FYI
Could you describe your design, or put up a sketch. I'm been playing with ideas for a BIAB design myself.

Primary -
Long Winter's Nap Barleywine

Conditioning -
6 Jolly Fellows Porter
Cream of Three Crops Cream Ale
Flanders Red
Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere clone - sort of
Cyser

Tap 1 - Tripel
Tap 2 - American Wheat
Tap 3 - House Mild
Tap 4 - Black IPA - from Lucid Brewery wort
Bottles - Long Winters Nap Barley Wine - 2012 & 2013, & some odds and ends

In the bullpen:
Helles
Weizendopplebock

Old 01-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #255
ultimatesports
Recipes 

I'll do my best to describe it, since I didn't draw it out. I ended up going w a bit simpler design than my original plan also. To preface, I have a 62 qt Bayou Classic pot with the basket. Currently when I'm done mashing I pull the basket up by hand and have a buddy (or fiancé) put a stainless steel grill grate that fits exactly over my pot down, and I set the basket over that.

Anyway, my stand will be 16" wide x 16" deep. 24" tall. The stand will basically be a rectangle . I opted for the 8 hole angle brackets which ate probably overkill, but why not There will also be a strut piece across the front and back, about halfway down. This will have a piece of metal across it making a shelf for the banjo burner. I'm then mounting a piece of 10' strut to my garage ceiling. They make a "trolley" that has wheels and will slide within the strut channel. My plan is to hook up a motorized hoist (harbor freight $100) to that trolley and could assist brew friends lifting their bags out, etc as well as my own.

I will post the parts list of what I would have used if I attached a BIAB arm to the stand to help with lifting the basket out. I would suggest looking at their wing fittings, angle fittings, and shelf brackets and I guarantee you could envision any number of arm designs that would work.

Think erector set for adults

Old 01-23-2013, 02:09 AM   #256
LuiInIdaho

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'm then mounting a piece of 10' strut to my garage ceiling. They make a "trolley" that has wheels and will slide within the strut channel. My plan is to hook up a motorized hoist (harbor freight $100) to that trolley and could assist brew friends lifting their bags out, etc as well as my own.

[/QUOTE]

With a setup like this, anyone can have a hoist for BIAB or what ever you have to lift and move.

Mark

Old 01-23-2013, 02:19 AM   #257
jdesch75
Recipes 

Quick question. I love the material design. I'm thinking of making the stand 6ft long to accommodate a 3 station burner setup. Do you think I will need to add center pieces for stability? If so what connections do you think I can use to get the center pieces in since I won't be at a corner?

Old 01-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #258
ultimatesports
Recipes 

There are lots of different bracket options. You could get L type brackets and have the strut facing sideways. That would allow you to bolt it to the bottom on 1 side by the channel, and on the other side by the slots in the strut.

If it were me and I was making one that big I would certainly but something in the middle for stability and to brace it. I am assuming you will have crossmembers on the "top" of your stand much like the original poster for your pots to rest on. I would bolt a strut to each one of this vertically in the front and back using an L or 90 degree bracket.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #259
jdesch75
Recipes 

Good point! I think I'll have to get creative with the brackets and mounts so I can keep places to mount pumps and such

Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #260
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 82

OK, another question occurs to me, looking at a couple of the designs (the very first one in particular).

Looking at a few welded brew stands, I've seen various methods designed to ensure that the kettles stay right where they belong - whether there's a "lip" that runs around the outside edge to keep the kettle from ever shifting, or cross beams going at 45 degree angles across the corners to catch the kettle should it ever shift, there's usually _something_ there.

But in most of these strut designs, I just don't see that. And I don't think I see any strut components that would seem appropriate to the purpose. Am I missing something, or just overcomplicating things?

Quick Reply