The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My version of Brewit2it's "Cheapest New 2 Keg Keezer"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
heyjaffy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacaman View Post
I like both of these threads! I will probably end up doing this same thing. Only bad thing is that i already bought a single tap tower on ebay (It was $35!!). If i can't find a way to use that tower for a keezer, I'll definitely use this build since I was just about to buy this freezer at Sams last week.
I don't see why you couldn't attach a tower to the top of this freezer - I considered this myself, as I have a couple little kids for whom the taps are at eye level and I could see them accidentally or purposefully pulling on them, where a tower would be out of reach. The thing that I like about the collar vs. tower is that the collar is reversible - if I ever decide to upgrade to a different kegerator or keezer, or just decide to stop brewing (not likely), the freezer can be returned to its original condition, whereas with the tower, you're going to have to deal with the hole you cut in the lid.

"Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health" –Thomas Jefferson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
Cacaman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjaffy View Post
I don't see why you couldn't attach a tower to the top of this freezer - I considered this myself, as I have a couple little kids for whom the taps are at eye level and I could see them accidentally or purposefully pulling on them, where a tower would be out of reach. The thing that I like about the collar vs. tower is that the collar is reversible - if I ever decide to upgrade to a different kegerator or keezer, or just decide to stop brewing (not likely), the freezer can be returned to its original condition, whereas with the tower, you're going to have to deal with the hole you cut in the lid.
Plus a tower may need a fan to cool the beer line at the tower. Also, all the tower keezers i see here are all super fancy bar style keezers, with coffin or "T" shaped towers. Give I don't know anything about wood-working, a keezer with a collar and nice tap handles may look cooler than a simple tower on top of the freezer. Any thoughts?

-Alex

Old 03-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #13
heyjaffy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I think towers, in general, do look better on keezers that get the furniture treatment vs. the "look what I stuck on the top of my freezer" treatment. I do like the look of a chrome tower on top of a small freezer or kegerator but it needs more general dressing up, in my opinion, vs. a collar that can just be painted, stained, tiled, or wrapped in stainless steel.

"Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health" –Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
brewit2it
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

Through collar taps is going to be a lot more energy efficient, and as heyjaffy said, one of my motivations on this build was to have it be fully reversible. In this case you can tear off the collar and screw the top back on, unplug the ETC and you have a freezer in 5 minutes.

HJ, if you are concerned about the taps inadvertantly (or intentionally) being opened by anyone but you, you could consider tap locks. Problem is they are pretty expensive

http://www.alcoholcontrols.com/tapbeerlocks.html

Also, quick question for you, where did you buy and how did you attach your drip tray?

See my cheap new Keezer Build Here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...keezer-224848/

Primary: 2 Row IPA
Second Primary: Kolsch-like ale

Keg 1: Blur Moon
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Empty

Bottled: None

Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #15
heyjaffy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewit2it View Post
Through collar taps is going to be a lot more energy efficient, and as heyjaffy said, one of my motivations on this build was to have it be fully reversible. In this case you can tear off the collar and screw the top back on, unplug the ETC and you have a freezer in 5 minutes.

HJ, if you are concerned about the taps inadvertantly (or intentionally) being opened by anyone but you, you could consider tap locks. Problem is they are pretty expensive

http://www.alcoholcontrols.com/tapbeerlocks.html

Also, quick question for you, where did you buy and how did you attach your drip tray?
Tap locks look too expensive compared to just disconnecting the beer line from the kegs when I'm not around it. The keezer is in the "workshop" area of my finished basement so, for the most part, the kids stay away from it, but it's also in a spot where I could easily bump into a tap handle or two, so I'll probably just plan on disconnecting the hose when I think of it.

The drip tray came from Austin HomeBrew Supply:

http://tinyurl.com/4at277p

and I attached it with a thin magnet strip that I had laying around - a magnet that was originally attached to the backside of a metal strip meant to hold spice jars. I used some adhesive, I think liquid nails, to glue the magnet to the tray then just stuck it on the keezer. It's not strong enough to let you set a glass there, but it does catch the drips. I may get some super-strong hard drive style magnets to see if they'll be strong enough to hold a glass up too.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:54 AM   #16
heyjaffy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I managed to flip the taps on tonight for a good 10 seconds before I realized what I did - time to get more diligent with disconnecting the liquid out. Drip tray didn't catch all of it - floor caught most of it

Old 03-28-2011, 12:53 AM   #17
heyjaffy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I just added a third faucet (this time Perlick 525SS - the existing two are 575SS) for a 3-gallon keg that I'm expecting this week. I managed to order a silly-short shank so had to countersink the inside of the collar so that I'd have room to screw the mounting nut and tailpiece on. No big deal - can't tell when the cover is closed. One other mod is the switch to low-profile handles. The stock handles that came with the Perlicks were higher than the top edge of the cover - I found a few times that when I set something on top of the cover, and absentmindedly slid it off the front edge it would open the taps and spill the precious beer. The low-profile knobs ensure that won't happen. Oh, and I now need a longer drip tray - who's in the market for a 6" drip tray with a strip magnet glued on the back?

Old 03-28-2011, 03:54 AM   #18
Cacaman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Very nice! Props

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post

“Get your beer off the yeast cake on day 7 or your beer will crawl out of the fermenter and eat your youngest child”

“Your beer will be the equivalent of rhinoceros urine unless it sits on the primary yeast cake for at least 4 weeks.”

Old 04-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #19
NWMOBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is what I'm doing, but I'm fine with dealing with CL people, so i'm looking. I found one about 2 hours from me for $40, but don't quite have the freedom to drop that yet. I'll get to it in about 2-3 months. SWMBO wants her pop keg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegtoe View Post
my recomendation: Have an understanding SWMBO

Old 07-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #20
heyjaffy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I upgraded the keezer this week. Using 1x10 that I ripped to about 8.5" to build the collar, I tiled it with the most reasonable looking tiles that were on clearance at home depot. I used some foam insulation panels, doubled up to insulate the collar. Now I can just barely shoehorn 4 5-gallon corny kegs into this small freezer, with the co2 cylinder outside.

p1010129.jpg   p1010130.jpg   p1010131.jpg   p1010132.jpg  

yeastside Likes This 

Quick Reply