New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #741
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I just recieved mine from discount tommy, so far so good. The only thing I noticed is that there is no guard or barrier above the grinding wheels on mine. Is this going to be an issue? Grain flying all over the place?

I must say, this thing is heavy duty.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #742
BlackJaqueJanaviac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, if you mount it inside a 5 gallon bucket, taking care to place it low enough to put the cover on, there is no need for the "fender". I set mine so that the top of the cast iron piece is flush with the bucket top. Then I only needed to cut a hole in the lid to allow me to connect the hopper.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #743
BlackJaqueJanaviac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Rico,

The drill I have is a 3/8" AC powered DeWalt.

Is that heat a bad sign?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #744
permo
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJaqueJanaviac View Post
Well, if you mount it inside a 5 gallon bucket, taking care to place it low enough to put the cover on, there is no need for the "fender". I set mine so that the top of the cast iron piece is flush with the bucket top. Then I only needed to cut a hole in the lid to allow me to connect the hopper.
Excellent......I suppose a guy could always fashion one as well.

Also, what is the verdict? Are folks JB welding the outer wheel in place or just using it as is...kind of wobbly?

Old 11-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #745
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
Excellent......I suppose a guy could always fashion one as well.

Also, what is the verdict? Are folks JB welding the outer wheel in place or just using it as is...kind of wobbly?

I place a plastic bag around the plates and loosely hold it closed with one hand, while crushing.

I turned the pin 90 degrees and was able to keep the outer plate from being wobbly.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #746
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Here is my install, which uses the bucket lid to eliminate flying grain & dust, muss & fuss:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/index21.html#post1408147

Had the old paint bucket to start with, and decided on a two-bucket arrangement (which helps get the mill up to a level where I sit holding the drill. I just cut a hole with a 2" hole saw in the bottom of the paint bucket, and I've been able to accommodate 20# of malt.

I didn't do much modification- just pulled out the cotter pin, which was pretty mangled and twisted to start with. I replaced it with a SS bolt, nut & washers of the correct size, and it took the wobble out of the plate, although the plates still aren't perfectly parallel. Doesn't seem to matter, though, since I get a great crush and hit the correct OG with boring regularity.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #747
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
Are folks JB welding the outer wheel in place or just using it as is...kind of wobbly?
It all depends on your particular mill, crush some grain first and see how it is. My plate is wobbly but I did end up replacing the cotter pin with a bolt & nut.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 11-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #748
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I picked up one from amazon but the outer plate floats freely by design instead of being mounted on a plate so changing the bolt won't stabilize mine unfortunately (it also renders adding spacers useless as well unfortunately) but it still manages a consistent crush without shredding the husk once you get the bolt loose enough.

Still tho, if you have access to one of the models with the outer plate stabilized with a bracket that you can move in and out with spacers (a friend of mine has one of these and it is fantastic) for a minimal crush width get it instead. Mine is quicker and less troublesome to adjust tho but even does well with red wheat and oats too.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #749
Getafix
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My Victoria mill, made in Columbia, converted to some Ugly Junk:

Its the version with the wobbly outer plate. I turned the cotter pin, now it is less wobbly. I've had it about 3 months and have crushed lots of grain with it. I got the best results by crushing my malts separately and malt conditioning. I took the advice on this thread and crush finer, but am careful not to get it too fine. This thread really helped to tweak it out, thanks alot guys.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #750
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getafix View Post
My Victoria mill, made in Columbia, converted to some Ugly Junk:

Its the version with the wobbly outer plate. I turned the cotter pin, now it is less wobbly. I've had it about 3 months and have crushed lots of grain with it. I got the best results by crushing my malts separately and malt conditioning. I took the advice on this thread and crush finer, but am careful not to get it too fine. This thread really helped to tweak it out, thanks alot guys.
DING, DING, DING, DING! I believe we may have our new winner folks!!! Nice Job!!!!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply