New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #741
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,711
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Default

I just recieved mine from discount tommy, so far so good. The only thing I noticed is that there is no guard or barrier above the grinding wheels on mine. Is this going to be an issue? Grain flying all over the place?

I must say, this thing is heavy duty.



__________________
permo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #742
BlackJaqueJanaviac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Posts: 158
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Well, if you mount it inside a 5 gallon bucket, taking care to place it low enough to put the cover on, there is no need for the "fender". I set mine so that the top of the cast iron piece is flush with the bucket top. Then I only needed to cut a hole in the lid to allow me to connect the hopper.



__________________
BlackJaqueJanaviac is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #743
BlackJaqueJanaviac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Posts: 158
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Rico,

The drill I have is a 3/8" AC powered DeWalt.

Is that heat a bad sign?

__________________
BlackJaqueJanaviac is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #744
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,711
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJaqueJanaviac View Post
Well, if you mount it inside a 5 gallon bucket, taking care to place it low enough to put the cover on, there is no need for the "fender". I set mine so that the top of the cast iron piece is flush with the bucket top. Then I only needed to cut a hole in the lid to allow me to connect the hopper.
Excellent......I suppose a guy could always fashion one as well.


Also, what is the verdict? Are folks JB welding the outer wheel in place or just using it as is...kind of wobbly?
__________________
permo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #745
BBBF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 965
Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
Excellent......I suppose a guy could always fashion one as well.


Also, what is the verdict? Are folks JB welding the outer wheel in place or just using it as is...kind of wobbly?

I place a plastic bag around the plates and loosely hold it closed with one hand, while crushing.

I turned the pin 90 degrees and was able to keep the outer plate from being wobbly.
__________________
BBBF is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #746
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rico567's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central IL
Posts: 2,973
Liked 68 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Here is my install, which uses the bucket lid to eliminate flying grain & dust, muss & fuss:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/index21.html#post1408147

Had the old paint bucket to start with, and decided on a two-bucket arrangement (which helps get the mill up to a level where I sit holding the drill. I just cut a hole with a 2" hole saw in the bottom of the paint bucket, and I've been able to accommodate 20# of malt.

I didn't do much modification- just pulled out the cotter pin, which was pretty mangled and twisted to start with. I replaced it with a SS bolt, nut & washers of the correct size, and it took the wobble out of the plate, although the plates still aren't perfectly parallel. Doesn't seem to matter, though, since I get a great crush and hit the correct OG with boring regularity.

__________________

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

rico567 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #747
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,263
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
Are folks JB welding the outer wheel in place or just using it as is...kind of wobbly?
It all depends on your particular mill, crush some grain first and see how it is. My plate is wobbly but I did end up replacing the cotter pin with a bolt & nut.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #748
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Accidic's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Millbrook, Alabama
Posts: 1,334
Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default

I picked up one from amazon but the outer plate floats freely by design instead of being mounted on a plate so changing the bolt won't stabilize mine unfortunately (it also renders adding spacers useless as well unfortunately) but it still manages a consistent crush without shredding the husk once you get the bolt loose enough.

Still tho, if you have access to one of the models with the outer plate stabilized with a bracket that you can move in and out with spacers (a friend of mine has one of these and it is fantastic) for a minimal crush width get it instead. Mine is quicker and less troublesome to adjust tho but even does well with red wheat and oats too.

__________________
Accidic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #749
Getafix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 69
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

My Victoria mill, made in Columbia, converted to some Ugly Junk:





Its the version with the wobbly outer plate. I turned the cotter pin, now it is less wobbly. I've had it about 3 months and have crushed lots of grain with it. I got the best results by crushing my malts separately and malt conditioning. I took the advice on this thread and crush finer, but am careful not to get it too fine. This thread really helped to tweak it out, thanks alot guys.

__________________
Getafix is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #750
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,263
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getafix View Post
My Victoria mill, made in Columbia, converted to some Ugly Junk:





Its the version with the wobbly outer plate. I turned the cotter pin, now it is less wobbly. I've had it about 3 months and have crushed lots of grain with it. I got the best results by crushing my malts separately and malt conditioning. I took the advice on this thread and crush finer, but am careful not to get it too fine. This thread really helped to tweak it out, thanks alot guys.
DING, DING, DING, DING! I believe we may have our new winner folks!!! Nice Job!!!!


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grain Mill - Is corona mill same as meat grinder? aeonderdonk Equipment/Sanitation 16 06-16-2012 02:51 AM
Corona Mill Dude Equipment/Sanitation 44 05-12-2009 10:37 AM
Let's see your ugly junk Short Drive Home Brewing Photo Forum 44 12-05-2007 06:45 PM
Corona Mill Gap Sea Equipment/Sanitation 3 11-16-2007 08:51 AM