Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #641
camiller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
I replaced the cotter pin with machine screw, JB welded the grind plate, and added 3 washers to the tensioner frame. I must not have done a good job aligning the grind plate because it is not parallel to the opposing grind plate.
Were you getting a bad crush before you did all that stuff? .... FWIW, all I did was remove the cotter pin, rotate the retaining collar 90 degrees, and reinsert the same cotter pin. No JB, No washers. No bolt. No only crushing on even numbered days while standing on one foot and singing the Ave Maria. IMHO, letting the plate float a little lets the pressure of the grain even out the plates all they need to be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #642
rack04
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Were you getting a bad crush before you did all that stuff? .... FWIW, all I did was remove the cotter pin, rotate the retaining collar 90 degrees, and reinsert the same cotter pin. No JB, No washers. No bolt. No only crushing on even numbered days while standing on one foot and singing the Ave Maria. IMHO, letting the plate float a little lets the pressure of the grain even out the plates all they need to be.
Never crushed with it so I don't know. I may try singing the Ave Maria though.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:23 AM   #643
xxsn0blindxx
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Man you guys weren't kidding about turning it down until you're scared and then turn it more. On the first batch I ran I tried to crush it to look similar to the crush from a roller mill and ended up with terrible (<60%) efficiency. On my second batch I cranked it down. Compared to the adjunct grains crushed at the LHBS, my crush was floury and tore up to the point I was worried, but I kept the board's advice in the back of my mind and kept going. I ended up getting 70% efficiency and no stuck sparge so I'll take it up another notch on the next batch. I think the adjustment instructions should be, turn it down until you get a stuck sparge, then back off a quarter turn

Old 07-19-2011, 02:27 AM   #644
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I have done one crush with mine. Took a stab in the dark and got 78% efficiency. My hulls were mostly intact... It wasn't all flour either.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #645
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
Never crushed with it so I don't know. I may try singing the Ave Maria though.

So if you had never crushed with it what exactly were you trying to fix by doing all that other crap.

No offense intended, I am just trying to make the point for you and anyone else reading this that you do not have to automatically do all these tweaks unless there is a specific problem you are trying to fix and then only do what is necessary to fix the problem you are having. I know I read one instance where someone did the JB weld only to have the auger shaft snap due to the extra stress.

Anything you do to these mills should only be done to fix a problem with your specific instance of the mill. The manufacturing tolerances of these mills are so loose that they simply cannot all be treated alike. What may be necessary for one mill may not be necessary for another or at the extreme may make a problem worse. There is a reason the design has the plate floating and not simply cast as part of the auger.

I apologize if this came across as a rant/dig/slam.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #646
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
So if you had never crushed with it what exactly were you trying to fix by doing all that other crap.

No offense intended, I am just trying to make the point for you and anyone else reading this that you do not have to automatically do all these tweaks unless there is a specific problem you are trying to fix and then only do what is necessary to fix the problem you are having. I know I read one instance where someone did the JB weld only to have the auger shaft snap due to the extra stress.

Anything you do to these mills should only be done to fix a problem with your specific instance of the mill. The manufacturing tolerances of these mills are so loose that they simply cannot all be treated alike. What may be necessary for one mill may not be necessary for another or at the extreme may make a problem worse. There is a reason the design has the plate floating and not simply cast as part of the auger.

no +1

if it ain't broke don't fix it.

my Victoria mill just needed to be tightened and that was it. 76-78% I didn't do any of the mods.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 07-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #647
rack04
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller

I have thick skin so no worries. I am not a "if it ain't broke don't fix" kind of guy.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #648
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
IMHO, letting the plate float a little lets the pressure of the grain even out the plates all they need to be.
That is also my experience. I think it is supposed to wobble when there's no malt in it.

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Old 07-20-2011, 05:30 AM   #649
Crypticx666
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchuklobrau View Post
Attachment 24548

not sure if it qualifies as ugly junk but it just got me 83% last brewday.
Ahhh Nice! i tried making a corona mill stand tonite... it didn't go so well! haha. I like this setup though. easy, simple, and effective!

Old 07-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #650
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
letting the plate float a little lets the pressure of the grain even out the plates all they need to be.
Sorry for the reduncy, but this is worth repeating. You really only need to "true up" the grinding plate if it is bound up crooked and unable to "true itself" during grinding. It is really a remarkable design that is able to overcome such piss-poor manufacturing and QC.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Quick Reply