Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #641
camiller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,882
Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
I replaced the cotter pin with machine screw, JB welded the grind plate, and added 3 washers to the tensioner frame. I must not have done a good job aligning the grind plate because it is not parallel to the opposing grind plate.
Were you getting a bad crush before you did all that stuff? .... FWIW, all I did was remove the cotter pin, rotate the retaining collar 90 degrees, and reinsert the same cotter pin. No JB, No washers. No bolt. No only crushing on even numbered days while standing on one foot and singing the Ave Maria. IMHO, letting the plate float a little lets the pressure of the grain even out the plates all they need to be.
camiller is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #642
rack04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 477
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Were you getting a bad crush before you did all that stuff? .... FWIW, all I did was remove the cotter pin, rotate the retaining collar 90 degrees, and reinsert the same cotter pin. No JB, No washers. No bolt. No only crushing on even numbered days while standing on one foot and singing the Ave Maria. IMHO, letting the plate float a little lets the pressure of the grain even out the plates all they need to be.
Never crushed with it so I don't know. I may try singing the Ave Maria though.
__________________
rack04 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 02:23 AM   #643
xxsn0blindxx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 55
Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Man you guys weren't kidding about turning it down until you're scared and then turn it more. On the first batch I ran I tried to crush it to look similar to the crush from a roller mill and ended up with terrible (<60%) efficiency. On my second batch I cranked it down. Compared to the adjunct grains crushed at the LHBS, my crush was floury and tore up to the point I was worried, but I kept the board's advice in the back of my mind and kept going. I ended up getting 70% efficiency and no stuck sparge so I'll take it up another notch on the next batch. I think the adjustment instructions should be, turn it down until you get a stuck sparge, then back off a quarter turn

__________________
xxsn0blindxx is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 02:27 AM   #644
Beezy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,384
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Default

I have done one crush with mine. Took a stab in the dark and got 78% efficiency. My hulls were mostly intact... It wasn't all flour either.

__________________
Beezy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #645
camiller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,882
Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
Never crushed with it so I don't know. I may try singing the Ave Maria though.

So if you had never crushed with it what exactly were you trying to fix by doing all that other crap.

No offense intended, I am just trying to make the point for you and anyone else reading this that you do not have to automatically do all these tweaks unless there is a specific problem you are trying to fix and then only do what is necessary to fix the problem you are having. I know I read one instance where someone did the JB weld only to have the auger shaft snap due to the extra stress.

Anything you do to these mills should only be done to fix a problem with your specific instance of the mill. The manufacturing tolerances of these mills are so loose that they simply cannot all be treated alike. What may be necessary for one mill may not be necessary for another or at the extreme may make a problem worse. There is a reason the design has the plate floating and not simply cast as part of the auger.

I apologize if this came across as a rant/dig/slam.
camiller is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #646
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
CidahMastah's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: , New York
Posts: 4,264
Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
So if you had never crushed with it what exactly were you trying to fix by doing all that other crap.

No offense intended, I am just trying to make the point for you and anyone else reading this that you do not have to automatically do all these tweaks unless there is a specific problem you are trying to fix and then only do what is necessary to fix the problem you are having. I know I read one instance where someone did the JB weld only to have the auger shaft snap due to the extra stress.

Anything you do to these mills should only be done to fix a problem with your specific instance of the mill. The manufacturing tolerances of these mills are so loose that they simply cannot all be treated alike. What may be necessary for one mill may not be necessary for another or at the extreme may make a problem worse. There is a reason the design has the plate floating and not simply cast as part of the auger.

I apologize if this came across as a rant/dig/slam.
no +1

if it ain't broke don't fix it.

my Victoria mill just needed to be tightened and that was it. 76-78% I didn't do any of the mods.
__________________

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

CidahMastah is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #647
rack04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 477
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller

So if you had never crushed with it what exactly were you trying to fix by doing all that other crap.

No offense intended, I am just trying to make the point for you and anyone else reading this that you do not have to automatically do all these tweaks unless there is a specific problem you are trying to fix and then only do what is necessary to fix the problem you are having. I know I read one instance where someone did the JB weld only to have the auger shaft snap due to the extra stress.

Anything you do to these mills should only be done to fix a problem with your specific instance of the mill. The manufacturing tolerances of these mills are so loose that they simply cannot all be treated alike. What may be necessary for one mill may not be necessary for another or at the extreme may make a problem worse. There is a reason the design has the plate floating and not simply cast as part of the auger.

I apologize if this came across as a rant/dig/slam.
I have thick skin so no worries. I am not a "if it ain't broke don't fix" kind of guy.
__________________
rack04 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #648
Quaffer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 488
Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
IMHO, letting the plate float a little lets the pressure of the grain even out the plates all they need to be.
That is also my experience. I think it is supposed to wobble when there's no malt in it.
__________________

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Quaffer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 05:30 AM   #649
Crypticx666
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchuklobrau View Post
Attachment 24548

not sure if it qualifies as ugly junk but it just got me 83% last brewday.
Ahhh Nice! i tried making a corona mill stand tonite... it didn't go so well! haha. I like this setup though. easy, simple, and effective!
__________________
Crypticx666 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #650
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey Shore, Jersey
Posts: 6,585
Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
letting the plate float a little lets the pressure of the grain even out the plates all they need to be.
Sorry for the reduncy, but this is worth repeating. You really only need to "true up" the grinding plate if it is bound up crooked and unable to "true itself" during grinding. It is really a remarkable design that is able to overcome such piss-poor manufacturing and QC.
__________________
wilserbrewer
BIAB Bags, Hop Bags and Ratchet Pulleys for sale

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com



CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0
wilserbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grain Mill - Is corona mill same as meat grinder? aeonderdonk Equipment/Sanitation 16 06-16-2012 02:51 AM
Corona Mill Dude Equipment/Sanitation 44 05-12-2009 10:37 AM
How about an ugly junk competition? Laughing_Gnome_Invisible General Chit Chat 11 01-13-2009 07:38 PM
Let's see your ugly junk Short Drive Home Brewing Photo Forum 44 12-05-2007 06:45 PM
Corona Mill Gap Sea Equipment/Sanitation 3 11-16-2007 08:51 AM