The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #561
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
I'm still trying to figure out if this wiper motor has enough torque at only $16. I need to find a torque wrench in the right range to test the mill.
From the specs, and since the translation from foot-pounds (3.98) to inch-pounds is 47.76, I'd say it may be in the ballpark for sufficient working torque. Where you may be in trouble would be sufficient starting torque. You may be able to get around that by starting the rig empty, and then feeding the grain. I've rejected the 12V idea (even though I have a 25A 12V power supply that weighs as much as a concrete block), because I don't want to dedicate space to something like that, neither do I want to set it up and tear it down each time I mill.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2011, 03:03 AM   #562
tchuklobrau
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just got my mill recently(inspired by this thread), i noticed that where the auger shaft comes through the base is poorly milled. I cut a piece of cardboard(from an empty 18pk of bud left by my buddy) wrapped this around the shaft then assembled the mill this took alot of the wobble out of my plates. When i get my pos computer to accept the memory card from my camera ill post pics of my mill.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #563
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
From the specs, and since the translation from foot-pounds (3.98) to inch-pounds is 47.76, I'd say it may be in the ballpark for sufficient working torque. Where you may be in trouble would be sufficient starting torque. You may be able to get around that by starting the rig empty, and then feeding the grain. I've rejected the 12V idea (even though I have a 25A 12V power supply that weighs as much as a concrete block), because I don't want to dedicate space to something like that, neither do I want to set it up and tear it down each time I mill.
Since it only really needs 2A I'm thinking a used computer power supply I have lying around should be sufficient and not that heavy. Mounted on top of the mill bucket should be OK and hopefully I can figure out a way to mount the motor on the side of the bucket so it is all self contained.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:46 AM   #564
tchuklobrau
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

100_1589.jpg

not sure if it qualifies as ugly junk but it just got me 83% last brewday.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #565
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 379 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchuklobrau View Post
I just got my mill recently(inspired by this thread), i noticed that where the auger shaft comes through the base is poorly milled. I cut a piece of cardboard(from an empty 18pk of bud left by my buddy) wrapped this around the shaft then assembled the mill this took alot of the wobble out of my plates. When i get my pos computer to accept the memory card from my camera ill post pics of my mill.
Hah, yes my mill has the same poor tolerance as the shaft is a sloppy undersized fit. Cardboard bushings...prefect solution. I bet they last a helluva lot long longer than you'd think.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 04-23-2011, 01:31 AM   #566
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Hah, yes my mill has the same poor tolerance as the shaft is a sloppy undersized fit. Cardboard bushings...prefect solution. I bet they last a helluva lot long longer than you'd think.
My 'Victoria' branded mill is as sloppy as the next, from what I've read. All I did was to take out the cotter pin and replace it with a tight-fitting SS bolt....after reaming out the hole in the shaft with a drill. That took the PLAY out of the front plate, but not by any means its eccentric rotation....and I don't think any bushing I can make would help.
OTOH, since I cranked down the clearance between the plates until they almost touch, I get all my numbers when I mash, and even though there's a certain amount of flour and shredded husks, no stuck sparges.
I'm just not sure there's all that much extreme precision involved in crushing grain. If I'm AB InBev, doing grain by the rail car, then these things matter a great deal. To me, a homebrewer making 5-gallon batches in plastic buckets, not so much.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #567
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just scored a Weston mill on Warehousedeals.com for $26.00 shipped. Should be here by Monday. I talked SWMBO into it by mentioning we could use it to switch between barley crushing and flour milling. She uses our blender to make flour but would rather use a mill.

So how big of a pain is it going to be for me to tweak the crush every time? I figure I'll set it as flour by default for her since she'll use it more often than I will. I don't mind running a handfull of grain thorugh to tweak the crush each time.

It would be killer if I could find a spacer like an alluminum billet otr something of the correct width to set the gaps.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #568
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
I just scored a Weston mill on Warehousedeals.com for $26.00 shipped. Should be here by Monday. I talked SWMBO into it by mentioning we could use it to switch between barley crushing and flour milling. She uses our blender to make flour but would rather use a mill.

So how big of a pain is it going to be for me to tweak the crush every time? I figure I'll set it as flour by default for her since she'll use it more often than I will. I don't mind running a handfull of grain thorugh to tweak the crush each time.

It would be killer if I could find a spacer like an alluminum billet otr something of the correct width to set the gaps.

My wife had a Corona for milling flour already when I met her. Only I use it now.

I set the crush every time I mill. It is quick and easy. I make two-three turns of the crank with my hand under the mill. IMHO, this is the best way because it is easy to only see the chaff and coarse pieces of endosperm if you don't get your hand in there. I get a fair amount of flour and no whole kernels. I presoak the malt to avoid shredding the husks.

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Old 04-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #569
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

you presoak your grains before you mill?

That has to make quite the mess, I never heard of doing it that way. Did you have an issue with hull shredding before? I just keep my drill at a medium steady pace and I have had good efficiency and no stuck sparges.

props for milling your own flour. For the price of flour I am sure there isn't a cost advantage - is it the freshness you are going for?

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 04-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #570
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
you presoak your grains before you mill?
Yupp, learned about it here on HBT from BrewKaiser. I use 2% water by weight of the malt, soaking for 20-30 minutes before milling.

Quote:
That has to make quite the mess, I never heard of doing it that way. Did you have an issue with hull shredding before? I just keep my drill at a medium steady pace and I have had good efficiency and no stuck sparges.
It is a little messier, but not bad. Presoaking allows me to use a more aggressive mill setting without shredding the husks. The husks get kind of leathery. I get about 86% brew house efficiency, give or take a few percent depending on recipe.

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Quick Reply