Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #31
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4261 Times on 3104 Posts
Likes Given: 811

Wow- that's looking good Revvy. I'm glad that you have found a use for the corona mill. My barley crusher works great- I ran some grain though it to see how the crush was with the factory settings, but I haven't brewed yet. I'm hoping to on Wednesday this week.

My crushing station is uglier than yours- but I do have a nice shiny BC sitting on a bucket. I'll try to take a picture when I crush on Tuesday night.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #32
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Holy BFD! Wonder when that was made... Looks good though! Personally I would do something to seal the wood, just in case you are storing it somewhere it could soak up moisture.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #33
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't use them anymore, but my porkert was what got me started into AG brewing and I loved it. I only moved to a monster mill because I fell into a nice motor and some birthday money. Here is my ugly junk setup!

Here it is upgraded to control some of the mess, as you can see it still got covered in dust so I ended up throwing a garbage bag over the entire works so I could avoid having to wear a respirator.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 11-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #34
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul View Post
I don't use them anymore, but my porkert was what got me started into AG brewing and I loved it. I only moved to a monster mill because I fell into a nice motor and some birthday money. Here is my ugly junk setup!

Here it is upgraded to control some of the mess, as you can see it still got covered in dust so I ended up throwing a garbage bag over the entire works so I could avoid having to wear a respirator.

Yeah Brad, you're was one of the first setups I found when I was searching for info on it....Your and booboos, and the guy that has a page on tweaking croronas off site.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #35
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Do any of you have pictures of the gap in your plates? All the picts I've seen shows the blast shield on...nothing with the gap in the grinding plate.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #36
Otis The Drunk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
How do you use yours? Yesterday was the first time I used mine and knew half way through the grain, that I needed to rig something a little more stable up...hence the...oh geez, I need to name it or something don't I?
I have mine clamped to a piece of steel and grind into a bucket with a garbage bag over the whole thing so that I don't lose any grain. I use a 5 gallon plastic water bottle with the bottom cut out as a hopper and a 1/2 inch chuck drill... (I have burned up a couple of 3/8 chucked drills to the point of smoking)

As far as my grind, I grind 1/3 granules, 1/3 husk, 1/3 flour.
I Batch sparge (because I am basically lazy) but I sparge painfully slow (2 hours).

As far as a name for your creation, Looks like a Choo - Choo to me.... Run with it.

Currently in Primary: zip
Currently in Secondary: Dry Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Not a Thing
Drinking: Run of the mill Pale Ale
What's Next: Lake Walk Pale Ale

The Liver is Evil, therefore it must be punished

Old 11-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #37
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 395 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Revvy,

The way my mill is adjusted, the gap in the grinding plates is almost nill, maybe the width of a credit card. Running the milll empty at the end of a run, the plates will actually clack together intermittantly. I believe some of the crushed grain actually exits via the grooves b/w the plates??

Old 12-01-2008, 12:16 AM   #38
rod
beer -just brew it
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i just tighten mine until i don't see any uncrushed grains then back off 1/4 turn.
i usually get into the 80's for effeciency.
30 minutes grinding each brew day by hand is good excercise for my bad rotator cuff

simplified signature:
beer, wine, cheese in various stages of production

Old 12-01-2008, 01:06 AM   #39
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Wow- that's looking good Revvy. I'm glad that you have found a use for the corona mill. My barley crusher works great- I ran some grain though it to see how the crush was with the factory settings, but I haven't brewed yet. I'm hoping to on Wednesday this week.

My crushing station is uglier than yours- but I do have a nice shiny BC sitting on a bucket. I'll try to take a picture when I crush on Tuesday night.

Why didn't you try to use it Yoop?
I get it, you must be one of those "rich city folk"

I thought about getting a roller mill, but with 83% efficiency why change

Old 12-01-2008, 01:12 AM   #40
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 563 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Yep Revvy...

That sure is purty...

Purty damn ugly...

Welcome to the club.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply