Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #1371
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Can't see too much in the photo, but if you say there are no whole grains left, I would say you are done...now get busy and make a batch of beer!

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #1372
atimmerman88
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 317 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 769

I want to further add my respect for the corona mill....

I've got about 5 or 6 batches on mine and I'm pretty regularly hitting 78% or 79% efficiency which is good enough for me!!

10# = 1 18v battery = 5min =

Untapped

Old 02-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #1373
Helly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah that pic wasn't the one I wanted sorry. But that's the idea right? Somewhere between uncracked kernels and all flour. Then just start brewing and dial it in. I'm going to finish my dual bucket system then hopefully brew a pale ale next weekend.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #1374
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts

I am becoming more convinced than ever to get a corona mill. With the numbers people are posting up here and the standard 68% I have been seeing from my LHBS crush, it just seems stupid not to get one.

My process gives me consistency but I would like a higher efficiency to go with that consistency haha.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #1375
Vellum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTrookie View Post
I am becoming more convinced than ever to get a corona mill. With the numbers people are posting up here and the standard 68% I have been seeing from my LHBS crush, it just seems stupid not to get one.

My process gives me consistency but I would like a higher efficiency to go with that consistency haha.
Do get one. This mill was the easiest (I.e. cheapest) way to get into bulk grain buying for me. I BIAB and regularly get 80+% efficiency (beer clears just fine with a nice cold crash). I love my corona mill and do not have any plans to replace with a more expensive roller one. The only problem I see with this mill is the DIY aspect. I love DIY so this didn't bother me but for others it could be a detractor.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #1376
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts

Yeah. I like DIY but I have a limited set of tools, both physical and mental. The only issue with the corona mill I forsee is building a hopper/base set up that is contained and easily stored.

There was a mill on here somewhere that was attached tot he top of a rubbermaid bin and it closed up all nice and looked clean. I would like to achieve that with the corona mill... but howww...

Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #1377
Fordzilla
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 33

So I was heating some strike water, preparing to brew with some friends on Saturday. This would be my second brew with my corona mill. I started to mill my grain with my Craftsman hammer drill at low speed (varied by trigger pressure) and about half way through my drill starts POURING smoke. I let it cool down and went at it until it smoked again, and repeated this until all grain was milled.

It seems I am going to need to find a drill more suited to low RPMs. Are there any cheap drills that max out at 200 RPMs or so?

Old 02-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #1378
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Check out this drill at harbor freight. I think there are several people on here that use them. There are 2 different drills, one with a D handle and one without. Either should work.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...ill-93632.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...ill-97594.html

Kegged: Galaxy/Vienna SMaSH Pale Ale
Kegged: Prohibition Lager
Kegged: Ricks Red Ale
Kegged: Wheat
Bottled: LH Milk Stout Clone
Primary 1: Biermunchers Centennial Blonde
On Deck: Milk Stout, SNPA clone, maybe a pale ale so I can use my homegrown hops to dry hop.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #1379
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 177

I have done 4 batches using my Corona Mill. I used a Dewalt corded drill, and I can usually get through about 7 lbs before it starts getting too hot and smoking. I will be picking up a cheap heavy duty low speed drill here soon, hopefully.

Anyways, using my full-volume BIAB in a keggle, I got a consistent 72-76% efficiency with the Corona Mill. That was without hardly any adjustments at all. I think I can tighten it up a little more, and I'll be tweaking my mashing/boiling setup soon as well. I'm hoping to bump it up closer to 80% and I'll be really happy with it.

Kegged: Galaxy/Vienna SMaSH Pale Ale
Kegged: Prohibition Lager
Kegged: Ricks Red Ale
Kegged: Wheat
Bottled: LH Milk Stout Clone
Primary 1: Biermunchers Centennial Blonde
On Deck: Milk Stout, SNPA clone, maybe a pale ale so I can use my homegrown hops to dry hop.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #1380
Fordzilla
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Thanks for the links. It would be nice if HF included an RPM value, but I have come not to expect too much from them haha. It would be great if I could pick up a drill that maxes out at an optimal grind speed. I will stop by HF and check out those drills for sure. My Craftsman drill has been great up until now, I would hate to kill it.

Quick Reply