Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #1261
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
About these corona mills... Can they be used to make flour at home? My wife is wanting something to crack flax seeds and also wants to grind her own flour.
When I purchased mine from Amazon, all the negative reviews were from people trying to make finely ground flour.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #1262
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 187 Posts

Well I stand corrected. I thought he could pull it off. Hopefully he didn't buy one on my crappy advise.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #1263
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyChopps View Post
Well I stand corrected. I thought he could pull it off. Hopefully he didn't buy one on my crappy advise.
Nope... thought I would wait out a few other responses first. Hmm... I may need to rethink this plan. Maybe this mill for cracking flax seed and an actual grain mill for making flour.
Thanks for all the replies guys...

Old 11-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #1264
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Corona mills are really corn grinders, not grain mills...I think you can make corn tortillas, but "gold medal" type flour is doubtful. Flour mills usually use a stone for a very fine grind.
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/189...-and-tortillas
Yeah, you can actually buy the stones that fit on them,

Sunshine Corona Stone Conversion Kit

Quote:
Turn that old Corona mill you bought into a quality Stone Flour Mill

The regular Corona Mill is fine for grinding course cereal; however, if you desire to grind fine flour and get it the first time through, you need our Sunshine Corona Stone Conversion Kit.

The kit includes everything you need to turn your regular Corona into the finest stone hand mill, capable of grinding your grains, like wheat, into the finest, lightest flour you can produce. Think about it – no more running your grain through the mill five times and still ending up with a coarse cereal.

You may purchase the stones only, and use the mill with the original auger, but we recommend that you also purchase the optional Modified Auger. The Modified Auger has been engineered to provide just the right feeding rate for the finer grinding milling stones. Using your old (unmodified) auger will make your mill much harder to turn.

With the Sunshine Corona Stone Conversion Kit, it’s like having two mills in one. Leave your mill as it is and you have a steel burr for grinding course cereal or any soft, oily grains or beans. Or change it to the stone burrs, which will allow you to grind fine flour in one pass.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #1265
AnchorBock
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Should have my Discount Tommy mill this week, I'll get some pics up when it's done. Leaning towards a two bucket with some type of hopper extension, just not sure what yet.

Homebrewing blog: http://bagendbrewery.wordpress.com

Beer Engine Caskegerator - Hand pump/keg enclosure for Real Ale at home.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #1266
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for posting that link Revvy, I had no idea this existed. Has anyone tried out this stone conversion kit? My wife would love to grind flour with the corona mill.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #1267
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Nice... I might be buying 2 corona mills pretty soon then. One for my wife with the retro-fit stones. And one for me to crush grains with! haha!

Old 11-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #1268
loud1
Swill Maker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hey Revvy, Love the "Buddy Jesus" avatar.

"Why yesh, I have been drinking my homebrew again, How nische of you to notisch."

Revvy Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #1269
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
Hey Revvy, Love the "Buddy Jesus" avatar.
Thanks, I loved the movie Dogma. It was funny though, I found the pic when I was actually looking for something serious about spirituality and beer, the quotes by Martin Luther and other early church leaders as quoted in the book "The search for god an guinness" and this popped up in a blog referencing those quotes.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #1270
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodm View Post
Thanks for posting that link Revvy, I had no idea this existed. Has anyone tried out this stone conversion kit? My wife would love to grind flour with the corona mill.
I have half of the stone conversion kit on a mill I pieced together from two broken mills. The bigger/flat/part that turns is the stone part and the flour it makes is definately finner.

Quick Reply