The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #1111
camiller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I *think* I've read about guys using big-rig windshield motors.
Yeah, you have read that in another thread here. So have I. I just don't have access to spare wiper motors from semi tractors. I think that the wiper motor that monsterguts sells for animating Halloween decorations might have enough oomph to do it. I just don't have a torque wrench to check how much torque it takes to turn the mill, with grain in it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #1112
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Yeah, you have read that in another thread here. So have I. I just don't have access to spare wiper motors from semi tractors. I think that the wiper motor that monsterguts sells for animating Halloween decorations might have enough oomph to do it. I just don't have a torque wrench to check how much torque it takes to turn the mill, with grain in it.
Here's a figure: A LOT. I conditioned my malt this weekend and the drill had a hard time starting (10A, 1/2" drill) on slow speed. Had to crank speed up to keep it going. Dry grain takes less, but it does take some beef on these since they're grinding rather than just squeezing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #1113
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Here's a figure: A LOT. I conditioned my malt this weekend and the drill had a hard time starting (10A, 1/2" drill) on slow speed. Had to crank speed up to keep it going. Dry grain takes less, but it does take some beef on these since they're grinding rather than just squeezing.
Yeah, but when I turn it by hand it doesn't seem like it takes much force. I really want to figure out a way to get a rough measurement before I drop the coin on a motor that might not work. Hmmmm..... I have a digital handheld luggage scale. I could connect that to the handle of the mill and pull it around then do the math from there. That ought to get me close. I've also thought about taking the motor out of one of those harbor freight drills and figuring out a way to mount it. More ideas than time.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #1114
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Those big semi wiper motors are readily available from junked trucks online....and it's not like I don't have a gigantic 12VDC power supply. It's just that I don't want the level of complexity that would go into that kind of installation.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #1115
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Yeah, but when I turn it by hand it doesn't seem like it takes much force. I really want to figure out a way to get a rough measurement before I drop the coin on a motor that might not work. Hmmmm..... I have a digital handheld luggage scale. I could connect that to the handle of the mill and pull it around then do the math from there. That ought to get me close. I've also thought about taking the motor out of one of those harbor freight drills and figuring out a way to mount it. More ideas than time.
I can break a bolt loose easier than my drill, too...but I tire faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #1116
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beernut70 View Post
I think I might add some sheetmetal at the screws in the bucket to reinforce it.

Looks to me like:

1. Homer bucket is thin plastic and maybe a bit flimsy
2. The screws look to close together, try spacing the screws as far apart as possible...even it you have to angle them and they will support the mill better.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 08-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #1117
beernut70
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Looks to me like:

1. Homer bucket is thin plastic and maybe a bit flimsy
2. The screws look to close together, try spacing the screws as far apart as possible...even it you have to angle them and they will support the mill better.
The homer bucket is pretty flimsy. I used deck screws which have a pretty small head and I am a bit worried they will pull through over time. I have some pan head screws to change them out with and maybe add some sheetmetal. The mill is supported ok I tried tipping the bucket and everything and it doesn't move.

I went with your design so if I get a water bottle for a hopper all I have to do is get a new lid.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #1118
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 175

Quote:
The homer bucket is pretty flimsy. I used deck screws which have a pretty small head and I am a bit worried they will pull through over time. I have some pan head screws to change them out with and maybe add some sheetmetal. The mill is supported ok I tried tipping the bucket and everything and it doesn't move.

I went with your design so if I get a water bottle for a hopper all I have to do is get a new lid.
A couple of washers should be more than enough to keep them from tearing through the bucket.

Kegged: Galaxy/Vienna SMaSH Pale Ale
Kegged: Prohibition Lager
Kegged: Ricks Red Ale
Kegged: Wheat
Bottled: LH Milk Stout Clone
Primary 1: Biermunchers Centennial Blonde
On Deck: Milk Stout, SNPA clone, maybe a pale ale so I can use my homegrown hops to dry hop.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:04 AM   #1119
beernut70
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here is my revision. I didn't have any washers on hand small enough so I used some 24 GA sheet metal. Hemmed over the short sides so that when the screws tightened they wouldn't distort the metal and leave any sharp edges. This is so solid I could probably stand on the mill. Plus it adds some junk to it. ;-)

Old 08-25-2012, 01:17 AM   #1120
EllisTX
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Here is my revision. I didn't have any washers on hand small enough so I used some 24 GA sheet metal. Hemmed over the short sides so that when the screws tightened they wouldn't distort the metal and leave any sharp edges. This is so solid I could probably stand on the mill. Plus it adds some junk to it. ;-)

You've got my favorite tool next to your bucket there. I can do just about anything with a set of channel locks. I'm still just clamping my drill on a 2x4 and setting it on the top of a homer bucket. After revisiting this thread I'll have to change that.

"La La La Lo Lo Lo Luuuke, Luuuke, I am your father, Lo Lo Lo Lu Lu Lu"- Chris Farley

Quick Reply