Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #1091
loud1
Swill Maker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have to stop reading the DIY section, first i was "forced" to build a pneumatic bottle capper now your making me power a corona style mill with a motor! What are you going to make me do next?

"Why yesh, I have been drinking my homebrew again, How nische of you to notisch."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #1092
tchuklobrau
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedIdiot View Post

Plus I think there would be something nice and ugly about using a motor that's 3-4 times the size of the mill its running...
+1 isnt that what this thread is sposed to be about? lol nice and ugly

Old 08-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #1093
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
I have to stop reading the DIY section, first i was "forced" to build a pneumatic bottle capper now your making me power a corona style mill with a motor! What are you going to make me do next?
Build a keezer if you don't have one already.....Then an electric brewing setup.

Haven't you figured it out yet, half the fun is the DIY aspect, and there's always another project on the horizon.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 08-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #1094
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedIdiot View Post
Well, considering the motor is free, its $28 for the variable RPM switch, or skip the motor and buy a $34 Harbor Freight drill (none of my current drills lock).

Plus I think there would be something nice and ugly about using a motor that's 3-4 times the size of the mill its running...
$28 variable RPM switch
$ ?? cord
$ ?? coupling to attach motor to mill
$ ?? misc. hardware

This option is far from free...Just my opinion, but the HF drill at $34 is a value for something that you know will work. Will that motor provide enough torque at low RPM's to turn the mill? Not all motors are variable speed, but are typically gear reduced to run slow w/ adequate torque. Not trying to rain on the party...have fun whichever course you choose.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0
rico567 Likes This 
Old 08-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #1095
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
$28 variable RPM switch
$ ?? cord
$ ?? coupling to attach motor to mill
$ ?? misc. hardware

This option is far from free...Just my opinion, but the HF drill at $34 is a value for something that you know will work. Will that motor provide enough torque at low RPM's to turn the mill? Not all motors are variable speed, but are typically gear reduced to run slow w/ adequate torque. Not trying to rain on the party...have fun whichever course you choose.
The motor is already corded, just have to plug it into the variable RPM switch. I have plenty of misc. hardware laying around the garage to attach the mill and motor to whatever substrate I want.

The only thing I would need to worry about is how to connect the motor to the mill. I don't know exactly what I would use for that, but I could probably find something to fit that wasn't too expensive.

I'm not trying to avoid buying the drill, I just have this motor available to me for free and was seeing if it was feasible to use it.

Kegged: Galaxy/Vienna SMaSH Pale Ale
Kegged: Prohibition Lager
Kegged: Ricks Red Ale
Kegged: Wheat
Bottled: LH Milk Stout Clone
Primary 1: Biermunchers Centennial Blonde
On Deck: Milk Stout, SNPA clone, maybe a pale ale so I can use my homegrown hops to dry hop.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #1096
autobaun70
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

I finally reworked mine into a bucket in bucket setup. The original wasn't bad, I mainly just wanted a bigger hopper.

I've done about 3 batches with the bucket in bucket. Between the larger hopper and the dust being eliminates, I love this design.

I added a couple of chunks of scrap wood to space the mill bucket up from the lower bucket just enough to keep one from sticking inside the other. It just so happened that these lined up with the mounting board for the mill, so I just stuck them in place with my finish nailer.

image-1369910922.jpg   image-939327358.jpg   image-2065628404.jpg   image-596268095.jpg   image-4227013729.jpg  

image-3596554293.jpg   image-1380792569.jpg  

Old 08-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #1097
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

The only issue you'll have with that is if you need to hand-crank if for any reason. I have mine so I can attach the crank outside the bucket (the mill shaft sticks through the bucket) because I had my old drill die on me once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #1098
autobaun70
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er
The only issue you'll have with that is if you need to hand-crank if for any reason. I have mine so I can attach the crank outside the bucket (the mill shaft sticks through the bucket) because I had my old drill die on me once.
Shouldn't be a problem. I've got multiple drills, and several other methods of spinning it.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #1099
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yep, an old hand-drill or a ratchet would work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-21-2012, 02:38 AM   #1100
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1010 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 2677

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Shouldn't be a problem. I've got multiple drills, and several other methods of spinning it.
This is me. I have 3 drill motors and a couple routers that I could even use if I wanted to. Heck, for that matter I also have a few electric motors that could get the job done. I will NOT hand crank!

Quick Reply