Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #101
dontman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The pink duct tape does add a certain je ne sais quoi but I still think think I edge you out. I now have the capability to post photos so I'll show you. At worst I'm in your league.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #102
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Used mine for the first time after adjustment! what a difference! I'm Shocked. Big difference on a small amount of specialty grains for my Hefeweizen.

Gearing up to my 60% grain 40% extract, partial. Might crush grains for that next weekend! Can't wait

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #103
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

I have had a Corona since before 2000 (Y2K bug gear), but never used it until the past Sunday. I had some 2-row I had toasted in the oven I wanted to add to a small amber ale. Most of the grain had been ground at the LHBS.

I managed to go from whole grains coming out, to flour. I played with it until I got the grind close to the malt I got from the store.

I should have read this thread first...

My Corona came with a fairly good size hopper that clips on. It will hold probably a pound and half.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:10 AM   #104
NYbrewer
Recipes 

I still don't understand how, once the width of the crushing plates are adjusted, what stops the plates from coming back together.??

Old 02-03-2009, 01:12 AM   #105
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbrewer View Post
I still don't understand how, once the width of the crushing plates are adjusted, what stops the plates from coming back together.??
The pressure of the grain pushed by the feed screw is more than enough to keep the plates separated.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 02-03-2009, 01:16 AM   #106
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul View Post
The pressure of the grain pushed by the feed screw is more than enough to keep the plates separated.

Besides the feed screw that brad is talking about above..some people also tweek it by adding some washers where the plate is attached by the wingnuts on each side.

I don't know if you can see but the washers are shiny in this picture above.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-03-2009, 01:20 AM   #107
NYbrewer
Recipes 

Thanks for the help guys !!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:26 AM   #108
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbrewer View Post
Thanks for the help guys !!
Glad we could help...anything you figure out as you play around, share it with us here...I'm still tweaking and playing around with mine...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-03-2009, 05:36 AM   #109
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Man...I've seen tons of those things at flea markets and yard sales over the years!

I've always thought that these things were sausage grinders, or maybe the things that I've been seeing out there WERE sausage grinders that just strongly resemble the Corona Mill!

Anyway...I've been thinking that these grains were just supposed to be barely cracked/pinched to be ideal for brewing.

If grinding to a meal/flour consistency is accepable, why not use an electric coffee grinder/mill, or simular appliance for this job?

Pogo

Old 02-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #110
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Anyway...I've been thinking that these grains were just supposed to be barely cracked/pinched to be ideal for brewing.

If grinding to a meal/flour consistency is accepable, why not use an electric coffee grinder/mill, or simular appliance for this job?

Pogo
You don't want to go quite that far. Have a look at this page on the wiki and you'll see what a good crush should look like (including a corona example, which for disclosure, is mine ).

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Quick Reply