Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > my ugly as hell fermentation chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
GranillaNutz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default my ugly as hell fermentation chamber

[IMG][/IMG]
i used the idea from The Northern Brewer Homebrew Forum • View topic - Fermentation Chiller (Pic's Included) but decided to use my computer as the 12v power supply

and instead of that glycol stuff i just put in a teaspoon of antifreeze... i didn't see the need of having somthing non toxic if it's not going to physically touch anything i'm drinking. i could've broke down and spend 30 bux on a transmission cooler but i decided to just make my own lil radiator out of copper pipe and copper sheet. as you can see, my sweating needs some work... oh well.. it's not meant to be pretty, just effective.

it dropped my temps from 80 degrees to 70 in about 15 minutes so i'm happy

"Sometimes when i reflect back on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then i look into the glass and think about all the workers in the brewery and all their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work, and their dreams would be shattered. Then i say to myself, "it's better that i drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver."" -jack handy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
tac0meat
Recipes 

I like it, has a mad max vibe about it. How does it cool though? does it pump the water through a fridge or some other method?

Old 05-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
GranillaNutz
Recipes 

thru the freezer part of my fridge. and yes it kools very well. took 15 minutes to get from 80 to 70 and the box keeps the temp pretty well, so it only cycles about once an hour for about 5 minutes to get it back to 70. the pump only draws .08 amps and the fans are 12volt. so it really doesn't use any electricity at all.

"Sometimes when i reflect back on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then i look into the glass and think about all the workers in the brewery and all their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work, and their dreams would be shattered. Then i say to myself, "it's better that i drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver."" -jack handy

Old 05-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
ChillyP
Recipes 

Nice FermkenChiller you got there. All I can say is...."IT'S ALIVE!!!!!"

Old 05-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

GanillaNutz -
I was thinking along the same lines. I have a beer fridge/kegerator. SWMBO gets the freezer.
Do you think that (for ales) that this would work in the fridge (40*) ?
Any experiment with volume of coolant ?

Ya know, Biermuncher is gonna feel a little pang of jealousy.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 100

going with the same plan, but using the cheap red antifreeze (potable water safe).
2-gallon tank made with plexiglas and epoxy in the kegerator, a small fountain pump, and a cheap transmission oil cooler off e-bay for the fermenting chamber. I still need to buy/build the 2" foam chamber and get a fan. Control is by a Love TS-31010 (new off e-bay for less than half price!).
I'll post pics as I build.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
Whiskey
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I was thinking of doing close to the same thing. I have boxes of Watercooling parts for PC's, various sized radiators, high output 12v pumps, etc... It would be a hell of a lot more convenient then swapping waterbottles every 12 hrs.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
danorocks17
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 66

it looks like some kind of sadistic robot

"blessing of your heart, you brew a good ale"

Old 05-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
HomebrewJeff
Recipes 

Looks good! Are you going to insulate the tubing going from the freezer to the ferm chamber? maybe some of that foam pipe wrap would be good.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:52 AM   #10
GranillaNutz
Recipes 

at first i used regular green car antifreeze but noticed that it just didn't get cold enough. my lil refrigerator/freezer really don't get that cold. the freezer part prolly doesn't get to even 40* so i just use straight water and don't worry about it freezing. i usually keep the beer i'm about to drink in the freezer part and it never freezes. just gets it to "drinking" temp. if any coolant is used, i would only suggest about a teaspoon of antifreeze to 3 liters of water. i don't think you'll need to worry about it being toxic or not because it's not going to come in contact with anything you drink.
water cooling setups for pc's would be perfect, especially if you allready have them.
if your fridge gets to 40* i think you'll be fine. you may want to put a bunch of ice in the coolant container just to get it started, but once you initially cool the box to the right temp, the insulation should keep it relatively close to that desired temp and you won't have to put ice in it anymore. my lil fridge is kindof on it's last legs as far as cooling goes. but it does enough to keep this system cool and keeps my box at a steady 70 degrees. just keep the box closed. as soon as u open it, it will loose the chill. my father in law controls the AC in this house and it's rarely under 80.
yeau some foam insulation around the tubing would prolly be a good idea. for one to keep the water from warming up during travel, and for another to keep the condensation from dripping on the floor.

some of that coolant for computers i think is pretty good stuff if i remember correctly. that may be worth looking into for my setup. i think it gets colder than freezing with out freezing, but with little effort... gave me a good idea whiskey and this whole idea with putting the pump in my freezer may not be a bad idea for cooling my pc. i also have a water cooled setup for my computer.

Last edited by GranillaNutz; 05-08-2009 at 01:57 AM.

Quick Reply