New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter Tun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 02:23 AM   #1
ChemE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter Tun

Like most good engineers I'm enthralled by efficiency. I think it is the mental challenge of trying to squeeze every last drop of performance out of a minimal amount of materials that appeals to me. One of my all time favorite engineering quotes is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
So motivation aside, I wanted to come up with the most efficient mash lauter tun I could. Design objectives were:

1) Accommodate 5 gallon all grain batches (except barleywine)
2) Provide good filter thickness even with low-gravity 2.25 gallon test batches
3) Minimize dead space so as not to reduce efficiency
4) Allow for fly sparging without exposing the mash to cold air
5) Allow for easy cleaning and maintenance
6) Rinse the grain bed as efficiently as possible in order to maximize efficiency

With my design objectives set, I went about educating myself and selecting a cooler which would meet my design constraints. How To Brew - Appendix D has some very good information on optimizing mash lauter tuns. I would have loved to have found a Coleman Xtreme or Ultimate Xtreme that fit the bill but these are all squat and wide. I really wanted something with a minimal footprint and good depth. My best option was a cheap no frills $20 cooler with questionable insulation shown below as the finished product.

The final product

I shot the lid full of great stuff and once it was dry, I cut the excess off and sealed the injection ports with white silicone caulk. This modification is nearly undetectable but helps the cooler maintain its temperature during mashing and sparging.

With that done, I set about making a copper manifold which would drain the cooler as close to completely as possible, maximized the number of slits, and minimized the distance that sugar from any one grain would have to travel to enter the manifold. This was the winning design. Nothing is soldered because there is absolutely no need and it would only complicate clean up at the end of the brew day.

Manifold as viewed from the top

Next order of business was coming up with a way to safely cut the slits very close together which was both neat and more importantly safe. After a few hours in the shop I came up with this jig for my jigsaw.

Jig used to cut slits in copper pipe

Jig in [simulated] action

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Last edited by ChemE; 12-17-2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Originally said batch sparging in goal 3) rather than fly sparging - I blame 2 dead guy ales
rmyurick Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2008, 02:25 AM   #2
ChemE
Recipes 

Now that I could safely and neatly cut slits at whatever spacing I wanted, I got to work cutting. A few hours later this is the result.

Bottom of manifold

Notice the flexible tubing which allows the manifold to connect to an internal nipple. This lets me place the manifold on the very bottom of the cooler and yet still take it in and out for easy cleaning. The manifold fits in the cooler so tightly that even the most vigorous and drunken stirring can't knock the manifold out of place or the hose loose from the nipple.

Manifold in MLT

During a few hydro tests, I let the MLT drain totally and then closed the valve and carefully poured off the remaining water into a Pyrex measuring cup. Average dead space without tilting the MLT was a scant 0.03 gallons. Perfect (or close at least).

Next I wanted to ensure that I could efficiently fly sparge without having to expose the mash to cold air. That and an integral sparge manifold is just easier to use as it is always set up and never in the way. This was easily constructed out of 1/2" CPVC and held in place by a ball valve on the top of the lid. Everything here is friction fit to allow for easy disassembly and cleaning.

MLT lid with integral sparge manifold

Top of MLT with ball valve inlet to sparge manifold

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Last edited by ChemE; 12-12-2008 at 02:49 AM. Reason: idiotic spelling mistake; doh!

Old 12-12-2008, 02:27 AM   #3
ChemE
Recipes 

HLT plumbed into the MLT

MLT fit into my compact three-tier brew system

So that's it. I'm still dialing in my process but the fist two batches I've brewed with this yielded brewhouse efficiencies of 86% and 92% with original gravities of 1.043 and 1.074 respectively. So clearly this equipment is able to deliver very good efficiency with big beers.

Secondary - Air
People Like This 
Old 12-12-2008, 02:28 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of us were discussing internal sparge manifolds on cooler lids over the summer, bud none of us did it...

you answered my question

Awesome!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-12-2008, 02:30 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

What capacity is that square cooler? It looks like a 5 gallon.

ANd you will put together a parts list won't you?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-12-2008, 02:31 AM   #6
ChemE
Recipes 

Thanks Revvy. I read hundreds of threads here this summer as I was plotting and scheming so I would be willing to bet I pilfered the idea from one of you.

As any good engineer, I've already started a mental checklist of all the aspects of this project which could (and eventually will) be further optimized.

Secondary - Air

Old 12-12-2008, 02:32 AM   #7
ChemE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
What capacity is that square cooler? It looks like a 5 gallon.

ANd you will put together a parts list won't you?
Yup, 5 gallons. Too bad Coleman doesn't make the Ultimate Xtremes in this aspect ratio and in 5 and 10 gallon volumes.

Secondary - Air

Old 12-12-2008, 02:35 AM   #8
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 5730 Times on 5097 Posts
Likes Given: 568

holy crap, that is awesome!

Old 12-12-2008, 04:40 AM   #9
BrewinHog
Recipes 

Do you have a parts list? Where did you get the cooler?

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Dry hopping Blind Hawg Pale Ale
Bottled - Double Chocolate Stout, Honey Cream Ale, AHS Special Holiday Ale
Kegged - Apfelwein, Orange/Cascade Pale Ale

Old 12-12-2008, 05:15 AM   #10
rtockst
Recipes 

sorry, I put the wrong picture up there. It's supposed to be the view of the manifold with the inside drain tube connected to it

So how do you only lose .03 gallons when you drain from the tun? The way you have the draining tube under the manifold makes it look like your manifold wouldn't be completely on the bottom of the cooler. Doesn't this matter?

Great work by the way!!

Primary: Oktoberfest!!

Secondary:

Bottled:

Quick Reply