New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Stirplate... Cheap and Easy Build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #861
gingerdawg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Many of us are 'undervolting" our 12v motors to get the right speed and control range of the fan for a stirplate. I have one running 9.6V and another at 12V. The 12v plate will throw a small stirbar or even the big one in a small starter.
Interestingly, I was replacing an 80mm fan in the power supply of my wife's computer last night. The new fan's motor specs stated 12v with a 6v minimum startup voltage. So I don't see any reason this fan can't be run anywhere between 6 and 12V+ (normally DC motors need full voltage for startup, and then can be turned down after start)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #862
gingerdawg
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxam View Post
So the motor in the printer is 12-42V, output 3-65W and 6300 rpm. Info here:http://www.compucanjes.com/manuales/RS_455pa.pdf

I assume it's way too powerful, but I want to play with it anyway. My question is, will the 30a 12v rocker and 25 ohm Rheostat and my phone charger power this thing. I'm very green to all of this and don't want to be unsafe. Power supply is input: 120vac out: 9vac.

I realize this I'm hijacking this thread a bit.
I think your biggest problem is that the cell charger output is AC not DC

Old 12-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #863
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Amp output is far more important than voltage honestly unless your talking about tiny voltages. There are motors that won't turn over with less than the rated volts but that isn't typical in my experience. Also, most wall warts I've seen rate their volt output versus expected load. IE I have a 10v that runs near 14v. You can test by wiring a 9v in series if it doesn't work and you think the voltage is the problem tho.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #864
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerdawg

I think your biggest problem is that the cell charger output is AC not DC
I have 2 other power supplies available. 1) Output 4.9VDC 450 mA & 2) an old external HD that has two dc output ratings 5v - 2 A; 12V - 2.2 A

Old 12-12-2011, 02:01 AM   #865
HenryVance3
Recipes 

I appreciate what you are trying to accomplish with using what you have. Can I just say from my experience in the DIY stir plate that having to match things like mili volts and amps with rpms and all the other variables is an absolute pain in the uterus! Unless you are a electric nerd that goes to robot wars I would strongly suggest the simple approach and buy a Fan like this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OJN250/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
The knob is relocatable and all you need is a USB wall wort and you are spinning!

"Are you going to be working on your brew stuff? Yes honey I am going to be working on my brew stuff."

Old 12-12-2011, 02:04 AM   #866
HenryVance3
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts
Sure Westphalen, I was going to post pics of the whole process, but forgot. Here we go:

Shopping List:
[*]Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VBW5G8/ref=oh_o00_s00_i01_details - $8.17[*]Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DCT71W/ref=oh_o00_s01_i00_details - $10.39 (Amazon currently lists this product as unavailable)[*]Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Mobile-External-Cooling-AF0007/dp/B002OJN250/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1321196036&sr=8-3 - $16.90[*]DAP StrongStik or any other adhesive that doesn't set immediately (Don't use epoxy).[*]2" steel washer

The parts of the fan after it has been disassembled:
(I already glued the washer on here, pretend it's not there)

The glue I used:
(It doesn't set immediately, this is useful for centering)

Centering the washer:
[*]This is the same technique for centering a thrown pot on a potter's wheel for trimming.[*]With the fan spinning, hold the pen steady and bring it towards the washer until it just touches.[*]Turn off the fan and look where the mark is. If the mark is equal all around, you're done. If the mark is only on one side, nudge the washer in the opposite direction of the center of the mark.[*]Repeat until the mark is equal all around.

Affixing the magnets:
I didn't permanently attach the magnets because I wanted to allow for adjustments. I just put a drop of Loctite on the washer beneath each magnet. This worked so well that I didn't need to permanently attach them.

Et voila
Here is someone who did the same thing

"Are you going to be working on your brew stuff? Yes honey I am going to be working on my brew stuff."

Old 12-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #867
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I built my pelican case stirplate last night. I went with the computer fan for now. Its pretty beefy but I think its awesome.

I still laid in bed last night thinking about that little motor and what I could do with it. This was my first foray into DIY electronics, albeit an extremely easy one. I had a blast and want to build something else now.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #868
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxam View Post
I built my pelican case stirplate last night. I went with the computer fan for now. Its pretty beefy but I think its awesome.

I still laid in bed last night thinking about that little motor and what I could do with it. This was my first foray into DIY electronics, albeit an extremely easy one. I had a blast and want to build something else now.
pic please!

P.S. I love pelican cases.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Fermentation Chamber | Concrete-Roller Mill | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet | Pneumatic Bottle Capper
Resources: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 12-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #869
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
pic please!

P.S. I love pelican cases.
I'll post one when I get home tonight.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #870
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Pelican Case stirplate. I replaced the air vent with the potentiometer.

SWMBO approves!

Quick Reply