Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Stirplate... Cheap and Easy Build...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 04:30 AM   #501
butler1244
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidGold View Post
You don't need a vortex for this. You just need to keep the yeast in suspension. The 9v power supply will work for this. On one of mine I'm using a 5v power supply with a 1 liter flask. It has little to no vortex and makes lots of good yeast.
I noticed in other peoples that it goes far down and when it reaches the stirplate it kicks up bubbles. I thought that's what I was shooting for? So even if it only goes down only 1 inch and is about 5 inches from the stirplate that will still work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 04:53 AM   #502
RobBug
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by butler1244 View Post
I noticed in other peoples that it goes far down and when it reaches the stirplate it kicks up bubbles. I thought that's what I was shooting for? So even if it only goes down only 1 inch and is about 5 inches from the stirplate that will still work?
Yes...the objective is to move the yeast to the "food". I have had no problems with getting activity within a few hours due to no HUGE vortex. By just disturbing the surface of the liquid you should get enough oxygen transfer to support ludicrous propagation of yeaties

Bubblehead Brewing - Bangor, WA submariners' Brew Blogs
---
"The hardest part of all-grain brewing is arguing about it on the interwebs ;-)" - tjpfeister

Old 01-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #503
butler1244
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBug View Post
Yes...the objective is to move the yeast to the "food". I have had no problems with getting activity within a few hours due to no HUGE vortex. By just disturbing the surface of the liquid you should get enough oxygen transfer to support ludicrous propagation of yeaties
I wish I didn't cut my old power supply...no I have to rewire it again! I added a power connector that the 12v supply came with so I'll just have to wire the 12v connector to the 9v supply. As long as it works I'm happy, although the big vortex would make me happier.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #504
rack04
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Has anyone had any luck using a 1 gallon growler on this stir plate? If so, what size of stir bar are you using?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:58 AM   #505
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by butler1244 View Post
I wish I didn't cut my old power supply...no I have to rewire it again! I added a power connector that the 12v supply came with so I'll just have to wire the 12v connector to the 9v supply. As long as it works I'm happy, although the big vortex would make me happier.
You may also want to play with the magnet location a little too, if your throwing the stir bar it could be because it's not centered quite right.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 01-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #506
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I fill my 2 liter flask all the way to the where the neck begins with no problem.

you know it's best not to fill your flask to more than about 3/4 of its listed volume, right? with it that full your surface area to volume ratio is very small and you likely aren't getting as much oxygen to your yeast as they could use
BEGINNERS: Read the FAQ and the other Stickies (the 7 threads at the top) in the Beginner's forum before posting. SERIOUSLY!! This means you!!

Old 01-31-2011, 03:41 PM   #507
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever View Post

you know it's best not to fill your flask to more than about 3/4 of its listed volume, right? with it that full your surface area to volume ratio is very small and you likely aren't getting as much oxygen to your yeast as they could use
Naah...IMO, the continuous stirring takes care of that issue. Wort is exposed to the surface and exchanged very rapidly. I am convinced that the yeast get all of the oxygen they need regardless of the fill level so long as the wort is stirred continuously.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #508
TripleHopped
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBug View Post
+1. That's all you need.

Brew Strong
Brew Hard
Real Hard

5 Gallon Portable Corney Keg Cooler
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cool...-build-135048/

Old 01-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #509
TripleHopped

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever View Post

The only problem with filling up the flask more than 3/4 full is a lot of krausen coming out from under the aluminium foil cover onto the counter top, and having your wife tell you that your beer stuff is making a mess on the counter.

Brew Strong
Brew Hard
Real Hard

Old 01-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #510
TripleHopped

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
Has anyone had any luck using a 1 gallon growler on this stir plate? If so, what size of stir bar are you using?
I'm using a 1 inch stir bar with my 1 gallon growler. I tried a 2 inch one, but could not get it to work.

Brew Strong
Brew Hard
Real Hard

Quick Reply