Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Stirplate... Cheap and Easy Build...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2009, 11:59 PM   #201
ClaudiusB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Well done.

Just some info:
The yellow wire is not a fan ground, it's the RPM signal out.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 05:42 AM   #202
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyurboy View Post
Just out of curiosity, how did you get the magnets out of the HDD? I took one apart earlier this week, and it appears that the magnets are epoxied to a metal plate. I am assuming that the magnets you are talking about are the ones that support the arm in the drive?

Edit: Figured it out on my sacrificial drive....there was a layer of adhesive, but it was not epoxy like it appeared. Was able to crack it with a longer screw in the mounting hole that was below the magnet.
I use a single edge safety razor blade with a little brass hammer, run the razor edge parallel between the metal stamping and the magnets joint. The adhesive material breaks away as the blade drives down between the two.
I've found a few thin magnets of app .060" thick with the most being .142" thick. I have six pull out tower units that hold ten hard drives per pull out hence 100 computer magnets .142" thick and a few thin ones. They are plated but at the adhesive side some of the plating comes off the magnet which is rather thin. Blood blisters are common unless you wear gloves these magnets are strong. I now have a stack of chrome discs with their aluminum spacers. It takes 3 minutes each HD to murder and remove the magnets.

DO NOT PLACE ONE OF THESE MAGNETS ON ANY COMPUTER TUBE TYPE MONITOR. My son did this with a small magnet when he was 5 or 6 years old this made a permanent dark ghost mark on the screen of a old spare monitor I had in storage.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 03-30-2009, 06:17 AM   #203
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiusB View Post
Well done.

Just some info:
The yellow wire is not a fan ground, it's the RPM signal out.
Cheers,
ClaudiusB
My 12 voly .72 amp 4" fans have a black and red for the motor with two white wires to thermistor or some type of temp probe in the air stream of the computer fan. Polarity protected. I believe these fan motors have a internal thermal protection as the fan will stop pulling after 3 seconds of applied power while locked rotor.
These 720 mA 12 volt fans must be rather close in torque as your 400 mA 24 volt fan motor you have Cladius. I salvaged six of them on my rat pack adventure.
A pot used as a rheostat for stir plate speed control on these higher amp fans are great for getting hot and letting the smoke out of the pots, after this happens they seem to quit working. At 13.62 volts and 720 mA I get 9.8 watts withreadings of 1262 mA on the start up amperage surge of 17 watts. A loud cry from those 3 watt pots.
A LM317 voltage regulator should handle these fans plus the best adjustable speed control.
CJ..........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 03-30-2009 at 06:22 AM.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #204
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
My solution to all the different problems I have encountered, flasks shapes, sizes, etc.

The four magnets have a pull force of 5 lb each.

2" stirbar in action.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB
ClaudiusB;
what is the thickness of those round magnets you glued to your fan motor? The above reply you stated they are 1/2" diameter. This is a start.

I'll have over 100 hard drive .140" thick magnets when i'm done murdering these hard drives but still would rather have a row of round magnets to drive the 1" and 2" stir bars. I will use the 2" stir bar for most of my starters as i'll be pitching yeast for stouts with a volume of 17 plus gallons of wort into the fermenter. This sounds like a large flask will be needed on my next parts order besides 1/2" round magnets. I like the vortex result with a 2,000 ml flask in your posted picture. That is some stirring action. How much slower or less of a vortex will it produce with the thicker starter yeast viscosity?

This is why the the use of the 12 volt 720 mA computer fan motors I have vs the lower mA fans I have run across, these higher mA motors have a lot more torque that should work well for this stir plate project. Fans, power cubes, resistors and caps are already in my boxes of of materials from past projects this should make for a cheap no brainer project to build. A LM317 with some of my spare parts collection should be my next build item. Then work on another replacement grain mill, sold my old one after making new replacement bushings.

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 03-30-2009 at 08:27 AM.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #205
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Posted by BrewBeemer
Quote:
A LM317 voltage regulator should handle these fans plus the best adjustable speed control.
Good choice.

Quote:
what is the thickness of those round magnets you glued to your fan motor?
3/8" DIA x 5/16"

Quote:
The above reply you stated they are 1/2" diameter.
Are you sure?
Put the beer down.
The stir plate as pictured uses 3/8" magnets.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 04-03-2009, 03:26 AM   #206
wvBeerLover
Recipes 

hey guys i built this just the way it says to. i can get the led on the switch to come on but i can't get the fan to come on. my fan has 2 black wires. and my power supply is an old plug or a small drill charger. anybody know why it won't come on?

Old 04-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #207
BargainFittings
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvBeerLover View Post
hey guys i built this just the way it says to. i can get the led on the switch to come on but i can't get the fan to come on. my fan has 2 black wires. and my power supply is an old plug or a small drill charger. anybody know why it won't come on?
Reverse the wires.

Wayne

Stainless Weldless kits and Flat $5.00 shipping to USA 50 States!
NEW - KENT CARBONATION CAPS AND QUICK DISCONNECTS

BargainFittings.com

Old 04-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #208
jtucker101
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damonic View Post
I mocked up my stirplate and something just ain't right. I'm using a 12V power supply with a surplus .2 amp fan. I epoxied a big washer to the hub and am using 2 rare earth magnets, a 2" stirbar, and a 2L flask. So my problem is that it's very difficult to get the stirbar to "catch" and it usually gets thrown. When I can get it to catch the vortex only goes about halfway down the liquid level and certainly isn't the maelstrom of bubbles everyone else seems to have. What's the likely culprit? Magnets? Positioning? Spacing? I have a suspicion that my fan is spinning too fast and isn't torquey enough but would like to hear everyone's thoughts...
I just finished building mine, and I have a similar issue. If I just toss the bar in, let it attract to the center of the flask and turn the fan on, it typically gets thrown. I can usually tell when the bar is about to be thrown, so what I'll do is let it get almost to that point and then toggle the fan off and back on for just a brief second. I can then ramp up to full speed without the bar being thrown. When I turn the fan off, my bar actually gets thrown as the fan is slowing down. Maybe I don't have it balanced quite right but it settles out at higher speeds (kind of like tire vibration in your car)?

I don't have the huge swirling vortex of doom in my flask either, but if I position the flask so that the bar is spinning about 1" from the center of the flask i get drastically better results, with constant bubbling.

All that being said, I'm happy with it. The only thing I paid for was the flask and the stir bar...so my build came to about $14 total.

In my next life, I want to come back as a WLP099.

Beer is proof that God loves us (and I can prove that mathematically).

Old 04-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #209
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Posted by BrewBeemer

Good choice.

3/8" DIA x 5/16"

Are you sure?
Put the beer down.
The stir plate as pictured uses 3/8" magnets.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB
Thanks ClaudiusB, while I go away walking the road of shame on my wrong reply question stating 1/2" diameter. Me Bad. Thanks for correcting me. I believe the .72 amp 12 volt fans I have should have around near the same torque as your 24 volt 400mA fan your using, I coume up with 8.64 watt vs your 9.6 watts. That has me at 90% in wattage so plenty strong in torque. Zero progress at this time with anything due to conditions I have no control. Appointments are set for the back repairs to be will done ASAP.
A little off topic, I have a long outfield older Walker Turner 6" jointer in like new condition for $65. The motor was 3 phase but I had many spare single phase 1 hp replacements. I had to mention this as your into wood working. Also on Craigslist from a mega buck picture frame studio within 6 miles from me was a free floor model Square Frame Mitre picture frame saw complete with all options, arms w/stops to 48". Complete plus runs like a new machine. Lists at $2,544. They ordered 3 new ones for a tax write off then gave away this older one even with a first time freshly touched up special carbide blade. I have gone thru a lot of wood with it making frames for the fun of using it for friends. I can make odd paterns, limitless items with it just the supply of wood becomes short.
Nore to add later by Email. Carl...........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 04-12-2009 at 06:41 AM.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #210
fermenator
Recipes 

in regards to all the voltage issues, i found this: Amazon.com: PowerLine 0900-77A 1300mA Universal Adapter: Home Improvement

adjustable voltage from 3-12v, i would assume this could work, no?

Quick Reply