Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Stirplate... Cheap and Easy Build...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #1221
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Thanks to the OP for posting this. Made mine per instructions last night. Runs like a champ. Many future generations of yeast thank you.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #1222
caioz1jp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

For those wondering, I used 5V power supply with a 12 volt 80mm case fan. Thing works like a charmed.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #1223
TBaGZ
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Had a gallon of water spinning perfect, but now that I have an actual starter on it the thing is being a pita! Go figure! I know the problem is that my jug doesn't have a flat bottom, but I don't have a flask yet. Guess I better get one ordered.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:09 AM   #1224
caioz1jp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaGZ View Post
Had a gallon of water spinning perfect, but now that I have an actual starter on it the thing is being a pita! Go figure! I know the problem is that my jug doesn't have a flat bottom, but I don't have a flask yet. Guess I better get one ordered.
Either drop the voltage of your power supply or look to add a resistor some to the fan positive wire. It could be spinning to fast.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #1225
TBaGZ
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 91

It's because the bottom of this gallon jug isn't flat.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #1226
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I have some questions for you guys. First ill say I have a bare bones education of wiring. I've installed a few lights and recepticals but that's the extent of my experience.

Anyway I picked up all the equipment for this project and started putting together last night. I picked up a 12v DC computer fan, and used my old razor charger which has a 6.5v dc output. I had it all wired up accordingly but it didn't move an inch when plugged in.

I took it apart (those dam connects cost a lot) and tried wiring it straight forward. White charger wire to red comp fan, and black to black. Nothing.

So I stripped a USB cable charger that I had laying around and hooked up the red wire to the red wire and computer fan and black wire to black wire. The other cables I left alone (green,white, and uninsulated). Then it moved. But with the magnet on top I have to spin it so it can start itself.

I hope you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #1227
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis
I have some questions for you guys. First ill say I have a bare bones education of wiring. I've installed a few lights and recepticals but that's the extent of my experience.

Anyway I picked up all the equipment for this project and started putting together last night. I picked up a 12v DC computer fan, and used my old razor charger which has a 6.5v dc output. I had it all wired up accordingly but it didn't move an inch when plugged in.

I took it apart (those dam connects cost a lot) and tried wiring it straight forward. White charger wire to red comp fan, and black to black. Nothing.

So I stripped a USB cable charger that I had laying around and hooked up the red wire to the red wire and computer fan and black wire to black wire. The other cables I left alone (green,white, and uninsulated). Then it moved. But with the magnet on top I have to spin it so it can start itself.

I hope you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance!
The magnet will keep the computer fan from moving if you place right on it. Glue a big metal washer to the fan hub (needs to be centered well) and then the magnets on it. Can use something not metal instead of a washer but then would have to glue the magnet to it. I need a 12 volt charger get my stir bar going, but depends on a lot of variables. Test for balance or the fan will burn out quick.
On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #1228
Mojzis
Recipes 

I picked up the washer this morning. I didn't have it while wiring and I did put the magnet right on the fan.

What do you mean test for balance? Make sure the magnet is balanced on the fan?

I also bought a 2" stir bar. I hope it's not too big.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #1229
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis
I picked up the washer this morning. I didn't have it while wiring and I did put the magnet right on the fan.

What do you mean test for balance? Make sure the magnet is balanced on the fan?

I also bought a 2" stir bar. I hope it's not too big.
Make sure the washer is glued exactly on the center of the fan, and the magnet is stuck note center of the washer. If they are not the fan will wobble. Will burn out the fan motor fast. Use some glue that doesn't dry quickly, put it on and slowly turn fan until it looks centered. Then plug in and you will see if its balanced. If not adjust. Magnet is easier because you just move around. You want the fan to spin without wobbling.
On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #1230
Mojzis
Recipes 

I got it all glued down and set up. I got the 5.6v charger to work but it doesn't want to spin the bar. The washer is pretty thick and the magnet is 50 x 10 x 5mm. Maybe its too much weight? Would a higher voltage power source give it extra power to get the 2" bar moving or do I just have too large of a stir bar?

Also my fan is a cheap 2$ fan off ebay, maybe its too sh***y?

Sorry for the continuing questions, but this thing is frustrating.

Quick Reply