Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Stirplate... Cheap and Easy Build...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #1181
TBaGZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Yes, it is a 10 (just took it out of the package). I also put a 100 inline and that made it too slow. I will just pick up another rheostat and try it. Maybe I should get a higher ohm one? Could it be that when I initially put it to the 19 volt PS I fried it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #1182
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

It's possible, I guess. Did you notice it being hot or smelling burned? May as well try another rheostat.

Out of curiosity, what are the specs on the fan?

For what it's worth, a slow spinning stir plate is better than a faster spinning one. I keep mine at 25-30% speed at the most. When it gets too fast the stir bar gets spun off easily. You don't need a huge vortex, you just need to keep the liquid turning with a small dimple to get air into the solution. So the 100ohm may work well by itself, i.e., without a rheostat.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #1183
TBaGZ
Recipes 

So I was messing around with magnet placement and whatnot with just using two sided tape for temporary mount until I knew where I wanted them permanently placed. As you see the magnetism pulled the stacks together and layers them down. So I figured what the heck and gave it a try. Seemed to work pretty good. Figure I will just have to raise it up closer to the lid, but that's it. Anybody ever put their magnets laying down?

image-1247014757.jpg  

Old 11-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #1184
TBaGZ
Recipes 

Btw the fan specs are 12v .16a.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:29 AM   #1185
Kirch3333
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just build a stirplate using this thread as a guide and it turned out awesome! Very very quiet. the only issue I had was that I bought a computer fan that came with a rheostat but I was unable to use the rheostat because of the way it was built (with little circuit boards attached). Now all I need is a flask... How many more days til Christmas?

image-608005621.jpg  

Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #1186
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Does anyone have a good method for centering a washer (to be glued) on the fan? I've built a stir plate but having a hard time getting the washer centered so the fan is wobbling quite a bit.

On tap: Turbo DIPA, 68' Wheat (Watermelon), Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 11-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #1187
Kirch3333
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've heard if people using a 60 second epoxy so that they have time to adjust it before it sets

Old 11-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #1188
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirch3333
I've heard if people using a 60 second epoxy so that they have time to adjust it before it sets
That could work so set it, turn it on for a second to get spinning, adjust. I used krazy glue last time... Nope
On tap: Turbo DIPA, 68' Wheat (Watermelon), Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 12-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #1189
Roadliner
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Built it.. Turned out awesome and is spinning away a starter as we speak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirch3333 View Post
Just build a stirplate using this thread as a guide and it turned out awesome! Very very quiet. the only issue I had was that I bought a computer fan that came with a rheostat but I was unable to use the rheostat because of the way it was built (with little circuit boards attached). Now all I need is a flask... How many more days til Christmas?
Nice on making the removable part the top! Wish i would have thought of that.. could have saved me a whole lote of trouble with how many times I had to pull it apart to get it just right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirch3333 View Post
I used a 5 min epoxy.. let it set for a minute so it was slightly tacky and then fine tuned till my hearts content. Worked well for me.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #1190
evolcoms
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I am looking to build one of these, but I wanted to check and see if anyone had a couple magnets or one hard drive magnet they would sell?

Beers
In the Works: Peach Berry Wheat Ale
Conditioning: Blue Moon Clone, Double O' Blossom Honey Hefeweizen
In the Fridge:Blind Pig IPA, Raspberry Wheat Ale, Capt. Cascade American Amber Ale
Ciders
Primary #1: Carmel Apple Cider 4 weeks on 01/16/13 Primary #2: Spiced Apple Cider 2 weeks on 01/17/13

Quick Reply