*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Stirplate... Cheap and Easy Build...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 03:00 AM   #1161
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated

I linked the yeast above, it was in a smack pack. It's good to know that I might not see any fermentation when making a starter with a stir plate though, the yeast arrived almost hot though (cold pack was hotter than room temperature which was in the 80s) and felt heated to the touch.. So I still have my doubts.
The small amount of foam in my photo is fermentation, it just dissipates before it can form a big krausen because of the stirring.

I've had a smack pack of yeast ordered online and delivered 7 days later already smacked and fat. It worked fine when I used it a few days later. I think yeast are pretty hearty, I bet yours are fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #1162
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyh View Post
The small amount of foam in my photo is fermentation, it just dissipates before it can form a big krausen because of the stirring.

I've had a smack pack of yeast ordered online and delivered 7 days later already smacked and fat. It worked fine when I used it a few days later. I think yeast are pretty hearty, I bet yours are fine.
So I dumped that yeast and started another starter with WLP085. Now that yeast was viable!

The starter overflowed and I have never sceen fermentation like what is going on in my fermentation chest now (have to go change the 1/2 gallon growler I'm using for a blowoff overflow because it's full!)

On the downside when the starter overflowed it seeped into the Stirplate and shorter it out. The LM317 was on the bottom of the box and is likely what shorted out. I waited till dry, but the stirplate is still broken. So whats the chances I just need to replace the LM317T? If its the potentiometer, I will need to solder up a new circuit, but the LM317T itself is replaceable.

EDIT:
So I determined it is the Potentiometer. I decides to play a bit and it shot flames out of it, but then it actually starter working again lol. Well I'm still going to replace it.
But how can I prevent this from happening again? Some sort of blowoff tube into another container?

Old 10-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #1163
raindogxx
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default One down, one (?) to go

Finally got my stirplate together. I ended up using a £0.99 PC fan speed controller in lieu of the rheostat listed in Anthony's opening post. Unfortunately Radioshack doesn't ship to Ireland and I've had very little success sourcing small parts here.

I powered the unit with a variable AC adapter set to 9 volts. 12 volts threw the stir bar too easily. I'm planning to make one or two more (gifts) and I'm sure they'll look a lot cleaner than this one but it does the job.

Cheers for the help

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...18968230641250

Old 10-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #1164
mojo2008
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
So I determined it is the Potentiometer. I decides to play a bit and it shot flames out of it, but then it actually starter working again lol. Well I'm still going to replace it.
But how can I prevent this from happening again? Some sort of blowoff tube into another container?
I suppose you could put a piece of thin rigid plastic between the stirplate and the starter so that it moves any overflow out beyond the stirplate itself.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #1165
rales
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I sometimes will use an aluminum drip tray between the flask and the stirplate to catch any overflow. Foam plugs for the flasks help also.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #1166
stjackson
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I bought some magnets from Radio Shack and I'm wondering if they will be sufficient for this project. The part number is 64-1895. Here's a link: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102642

I have four and planned on placing them across the center of my fan, ++--. Are these going to be strong enough to spin my bar? I've ordered a 2" stir bar from Amazon.

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #1167
sctocinci
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used 1/4 x 1/8 rare earth magnets that I got on ebay and those worked fine, so I would imagine that those would work as well.

Kegerator Now Set Up!
Keg 1: Saison
Keg 2: EMPTY

Old 10-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #1168
starsman20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is my build
Hard drive magnet -free
Pc fan -free
Scrap wire -free
Enclosure 4.99 at frys
Pot 1.99
Switch .99
Stir bar 4.99
Power supply from box of extras in closet - free
Total cost $13 bucks or so. Not bad

image-3835342157.jpg  

You don't understand the power of the dark side beer.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:14 AM   #1169
mcbaumannerb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 33 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3981 Times on 2207 Posts
Likes Given: 13361

I put my stir plate together today in under two hours and less than $12.00. I had an old PCthat is about to get recycled so I yanked out the fan and hard drives. A few whacks with my hammer and I had the magnets. From RS I got the toggle switch, rheostat and knob; the power was courtesy of an old router and I used a discarded Robbermaid container for the box. The rest came from my jars of junk - some rubber spacers to give room for the magnet to spin, plus screws, bolts and the washer. With it running the only noise i hear is a slight rattle from the stir bar. The hardest part of the project was getting the fan up to speed to move the started without stalling or sending the stir bar flying!

Many thanks to the OP - I'm confident this will be the key to a successful RIS I'm brewing this weekend!

image-468212667.jpg

image-1934173234.jpg  

Untappd: mcbaumannerb BEEr

Facebook: BEEr

"Oh mother, tell your children; not to do what I have done."

Old 10-31-2012, 03:27 AM   #1170
nmfree
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow52 View Post
This is a fool proof wiring diagram. All parts is obtainable from your local Radio Shack.
Just got done building my own stirplate using these plans. I was going to just do it the simple way but I had to go to RS to get a potentiometer anyway, and I figured I might as well do it the right way the first time.

It spins nicely, and I can't wait to get a stir bar to see how well it actually works with a flask.

Home of the world's first Yoctobrewery- brewing beer one sip at a time.

Quick Reply