The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Stirplate... Cheap and Easy Build...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #1051
GulfCoastGirl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow52 View Post
You need nothing more than a 1" to 2 " vortex / dimple. The one inch stir bar will help but also get a lager container like a 2000 ml lab flask. The lab flask works well with the stir bar since it has a very flat bottom. Can you slow it any without stalling?

I got my 2000 ml Erlenmeyer flask today and got it to spin once but then I turned it off and when I turned it back on it kept throwing the bar. I got irritated and gave up but I'm guessing it has to do with that big stir bar (which is the hexagon type). The new one I have on order is smaller and round so I'm thinking it will do better in the flask.

As for speed... that picture is the lowest setting. Unfortunately I didn't heed the advice of others here who said 12 v might be too much. The fan is 12 v and I let the guy at radio shack talk me into the 12 v DC power pack, he said the fan wouldn't run on anything lower. I'm a dummy... next time I'll know better

Is there a problem if the vortex is too strong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 02:02 AM   #1052
Mellow52
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastGirl

I got my 2000 ml Erlenmeyer flask today and got it to spin once but then I turned it off and when I turned it back on it kept throwing the bar. I got irritated and gave up but I'm guessing it has to do with that big stir bar (which is the hexagon type). The new one I have on order is smaller and round so I'm thinking it will do better in the flask.

As for speed... that picture is the lowest setting. Unfortunately I didn't heed the advice of others here who said 12 v might be too much. The fan is 12 v and I let the guy at radio shack talk me into the 12 v DC power pack, he said the fan wouldn't run on anything lower. I'm a dummy... next time I'll know better

I don't think that it is a real problem creating such a violent stir but as you already know it will frustrate you throwing the bar.

The 12v adapter was not a mistake. It sounds like you have the electronics wrong. My stir plate will go from a crawl to way too much and that is the trick to not throwing the stir bar, you have to ramp it up slowly and get the wort moving first.

I will be glad to share the exact part list and wiring diagram if you want. I got it all from my local Radio Shack. It will give you full speed control without throwing the bar and slow things down.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:27 AM   #1053
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastGirl View Post
Quote:
I got my 2000 ml Erlenmeyer flask today and got it to spin once but then I turned it off and when I turned it back on it kept throwing the bar. ...
Are those magnets glued down? I know I originally thought mine would hold itself to the washer by magnetic force alone, but after awhile the magnet started drifting. If your fan isn't slowing down much an additional resistor or lower voltage is in order.

In theory there is a point above which shearing force could cause damage to the yeast ... but your not anywhere close to that.

Edit: you are also the first I've seen to use ring magnets.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:03 AM   #1054
smurfwar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Randomly decided to build one today. Primitive looking wiring. Was fun.

image-2773310883.jpg

image-2000704474.jpg

image-4144761110.jpg

Want to try 6 volt power as i think low is to violent.

Looking for an extract black belgian witt recipe.
PM me if you find one. Thx

Old 03-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #1055
SaevaVeritas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Smurf here is a pic of my 6v system I was worried it was too tame but after some reading I think it will do...even though I would like the cone to touch the bottom.

image-1406051715.jpg

Old 03-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #1056
GulfCoastGirl
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow52 View Post
It sounds like you have the electronics wrong.
I'm fairly positive the electronics are fine. I have the same parts as the OP and my wiring is the same way. I had it wired a different way at first and it didn't work. I re-examined the posts here, found my problem, changed the wiring and it works now.

FWIW, the rheostat does control the speed of the fan. When I turn the dial it speeds up to full force. It's just that even on the lowest setting it's nowhere near "a crawl".

I did look up some fans that others here have used and I'm seeing that many of them have much lower RPMs than mine so it makes sense that those might spin much slower than mine at the low setting.

It's no big deal.... I got the bar to spin this morning in the flask and let it run for 1 1/2 hours while I worked out and it did fine... didn't throw the bar. I really hate the hexagon shape of this particular bar and I think I'll have more success with the smaller, flat, round bar that I've ordered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Are those magnets glued down? I know I originally thought mine would hold itself to the washer by magnetic force alone, but after awhile the magnet started drifting. If your fan isn't slowing down much an additional resistor or lower voltage is in order.

In theory there is a point above which shearing force could cause damage to the yeast ... but your not anywhere close to that.

Edit: you are also the first I've seen to use ring magnets.
Thanks for the post! No, the magnets are not glued down. Those are "super magnets" I picked up at Home Depot and it was VERY difficult for me to pry them apart so I figured they would hold just fine but I'll open it up and see if they've moved at all. Honestly the thing works just fine on the smaller jar it's the flask that I'm having hit or miss success with and I really do think (from all the reading I've done) that the smaller, flat round bar will make a difference. If it doesn't, I'll rip out that 12 v power and put a 9 v on it. I'm not gonna let a little stir plate kick my a**

Here's a picture of it spinning in the flask. I also discovered that if I got the magnet centered.... then lifted the flask just a little while starting the fan until the vortex got going and then set it down I had better chance of it not throwing the bar. This makes me think maybe I should lower the fan inside by 1/8".

Old 03-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #1057
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

GulfCoastGirl what size of bar are you using, mine is posted around the 101 thread count and looks just like yours, but I lowered mine a little bit?

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 03-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #1058
GulfCoastGirl
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear101 View Post
GulfCoastGirl what size of bar are you using, mine is posted around the 101 thread count and looks just like yours, but I lowered mine a little bit?

The bar I currently have is a 1 1/2" hexagon shaped bar. from reading here I see that most people get the 1" bar and have no issues so I ordered a couple in 1" and also not hexagon shaped.

If the new bar doesn't solve the problem, I'll drop the fan down a little bit and change the power supply as a last resort. No big deal really as it does work now.... it just takes me a minute to get it going. I'm going to use it this weekend as-is

Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #1059
Mellow52
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

This is a fool proof wiring diagram. All parts is obtainable from your local Radio Shack.

This will allow for perfect speed control. Using just a potentiometer will work at first but wont last and last. You wont get good speed control and using lower volt DC adapters for speed control is silly. Don't do it, build it right.

Also checkout this handy link: http://www.stirstarters.com/instructions.html

If you like DIY then build one if not just order one from here, it is much easier and only marginally more expensive than parting and building it yourself.

Cheers to happy yeasty beasties!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #1060
Mellow52
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
not hexagon shaped
You will find the shape has no real change in effect, only length will. Also see if you can get the solid round shaped rare earth magnets at Home Depot (about $3.60 for a pack of 6) I am not sure those 'washer' magnets are doing you any favors and be sure to glue them down or they will shift. Don't lower the fan/magnets you want them as close as possible for a good 'coupling' with your stir bar. Rather fix the electronics for proper speed control.

Good luck in fine tuning your machine!

Quick Reply