Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > my simple, 3 tap keezer build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
wncbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default my simple, 3 tap keezer build

I've been threatening for a while, and its finally time to start my keezer. I scored a small GE freezer on craglist for 80 bucks and got started this morning. I had a bunch of tongue and groove spruce leftover from another project so I decided to use it for this also.

I cut a sheet of plywood, mounted casters, then placed the freezer on the rolling plywood and began framing for the t and g.

I'm keeping things pretty simple. I left the back uncovered and used construction adhesive to glue 2x2s two the freezer body. The tongue and groove was then nailed to the 2x2 with wire brad nails. This way the warm air radiating out of the freezer can exit through a 1 1/2" airspace all the way to the back of the freezer. Here is a pic of the tongue and groove spruce in progress.

Next I mounted the plywood bartop to the freezer lid with a couple of t-nuts and four inch bolts, 4 inches wound up being way too long, so I ground them off flush. I'm really not happy with how secure it feels, so. I think I will go back and use a couple more.

For the trim around the top and bottom, I used the same lumber, only with the toungue and groove ripped off, and I like the way it turned out.

I have a keg cowboy conversion kit on the way to convert the tower on my my current kegerator to 3 taps, at which point the old fridge will be turned into a ferm chamber. I haven't reall started on the bar top yet...and seem to be having trouble getting pics up from the mobile app, so hopefully this works

forumrunner_20111106_180701.jpg   forumrunner_20111106_180732.jpg   forumrunner_20111106_180828.jpg   forumrunner_20111106_181327.jpg   forumrunner_20111106_181658.jpg  

forumrunner_20111106_182216.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Ok, not sure why that first pic posted so many times, sorry about that. The bottom is pretty much ready for stain. I hope to work on the bar top after work this week and will put pics up as things progress. Thanks to all who have put up keezer pics on this forum, I have taken ideas from lots of you guys

Old 11-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You can go back and edit them out...

Good start though! Looking forward to seeing how it ends up.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
wncbrewer
Recipes 

For some reason I'm not able to edit them from this damn phone, will try again when I get back to a computer...one question for you guys:

I recently had a few beers at a place with copper on the bar top, which I was planning on doing with this keezer. My only concern is that my tower is stainless. Do you all think stainless on copper will look silly? My feeling is that it is enough of a contrast that it will look fine, but I would like to hear other opinions...thanks...wnc

Old 11-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Subscribed! Looks great so far....love the T&G spruce! It would look pretty sweet with a coffin on top, but I suppose the tower will do. Can't wait to see it come together.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Thanks for the kind words..

I have waffled back and forth about doing a coffin, and decided against it only because I already have a tower and building the coffin would be out of my carpentry comfort zone. I'm going to have a long week at work, but still hope to get some work done...more pics to come

Old 11-08-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppopotomus
Subscribed! Looks great so far....love the T&G spruce! It would look pretty sweet with a coffin on top, but I suppose the tower will do. Can't wait to see it come together.
Also, just checked out your basement bar and keezer build threads...very well done sir. I love t&g, so easy to work with and I just redid my kitchen in it, so this keezer is going to match perfectly

Old 11-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks......keep up the great work!

Hoppo's Rustic Basement Bar Build:

Hoppo's Knotty Pine/Cedar Log Keezer Build:

Hoppo's Rustic Dual Fermentation Chamber Builds:

Hoppo's Motorized Grain Mill:

Hoppo's Rustic E-Brewery Build:

Old 11-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Well, after much thread trolling I have decided to go ahead and do a coffin for my keezer... I think I can handle the carpentry, and it will look cooler in the end.

Do any of you guys that have done them have any advice for insulating the coffin? Is it necessary to have a fan to get the cold air to make its way into the coffin?

I have had a hell of a work week, but I really hope to get this thing mostly done this weekend. Still waiting on my three way gas splitter from keg cowboy though...wnc

Old 11-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I strongly suggest 2 fans....one to pull cold air up into the coffin from the freezer and one to exhaust air back down into the coffin. Build the coffin box big enought to allow plenty of rigid foam insulation, so that you can create an air channel. I would build the box, then caulk every wood joint, then start layering rigid foam insulation. I know my keezer thread is ridiculously long, but I think I took pics. as I went.

I used 4" inductor fans wired together and a dual input/dual output temp. controller (Love TSS2), so that the fans are controlled independent of the freezer. Use a 4" bimetal hole saw to create the hole through the bottom of the coffin box and down through the freezer lid. Then install the inductor fans by cutting and bending down tabs in the duct work the fans are mounted in (easier to see on my thread than explain). You also need to cut another hole with a smaller hole saw for your beer lines to run up through the lid adjacent to the intake fan channel. Once the fans are installed, use rigid foam insulation (I used 1 1/2") stacked in layers to fill the entire bottom cavity. Use the 4" hole saw to cut two holes for the air channels (intake/exhaust) and the smaller saw for the beer lines. With each layer, gradually move the smaller beer line hole closer and closer to the 4" air channel until they merge, so the beer lines ultimately merge into the 4" intake port and up to the shanks. How you insulate the rest all depends upon where your access panel is in the coffin to work on the shanks and beer lines. Essentially you just want to keep piecing in insulation until most of the interior of the coffin is filled with insulation. It's more efficient to cool a small channel up to the shanks and back down to the freezer than the entire coffin cavity.

Like I said, I probably just confused the issue, but it you have some time to jump onto my thread, it should be more clear. Good luck!

Hoppo's Rustic Basement Bar Build:

Hoppo's Knotty Pine/Cedar Log Keezer Build:

Hoppo's Rustic Dual Fermentation Chamber Builds:

Hoppo's Motorized Grain Mill:

Hoppo's Rustic E-Brewery Build:

Quick Reply