Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My side-by-side conversion (yes, this fridge is old)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
rudu81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My side-by-side conversion (yes, this fridge is old)

Here is my first build project out of a side-by-side fridge that came with my house. Luckily SWMBO hates it, and for the small price of buying her a new one, I am able to turn this one into my fermentation chamber. It is a Whirlpool model ED22MM1JWRO and is almost as old as I am. Unfortunately, the center divider does not remove, as there is a coolant line that runs through the wall about halfway up. I didn't find this out until I had the center metal stip pulled out - and that wasn't easy.

What follows will be a catalog of my build making two seperate chambers out of the same fridge. I have 2 ebay style temp controllers, one for each side, which will operate the compressor, a heat lamp, and 2 80mm 110v fans. The fans will more air between chambers to help each side regulate temps.

The plan is to place the controllers in the space that formerly held the ice/water dispensing unit. I built the housing for the controllers out of 1x4and as the original liner took up a lot of space in the chamber, I replaced it with .093" acrylic sheeting. The acrylic needed special drill bits for, so I bought a drill press for this and other projects.

img_23611.jpg   img_23621.jpg   img_24061.jpg   p71800011.jpg   p8010001.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
rudu81
Recipes 

Here are a few more pics of my build progress. I have the new back on the door and have reinstalled the magnetic door strip as well. The controllers are mounted on the faceplate, but I haven't gotten to the wiring yet.

p80100021.jpg   p80100031.jpg   p80100041.jpg   p80100051.jpg  

Old 03-25-2011, 11:44 PM   #3
rudu81
Recipes 

My next step is going to be getting the wiring set for all of the units. I am using the power that comes into the door that used to power the water/ice and run the outputs in flexible conduit to where they need to go. To control the compressor I plane to bypass the original thermostat, but leave the rest of the fridge's functions in place (if I am wrong, please let me know). I must admit that I was dumb today and forgot to leave room to run wire behind the new panel, so I'll have to go back in there to do my wiring. Not a huge deal, but it is mildly annoying.

wirediagram3.jpg  

Old 04-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
rudu81
Recipes 

It's been a little while, but here is the progress on the fridge door. Both controllers are wired in and I bundled the wires together so that they will be easier to manage. Although my inital plan was to use acrylic for the back as well, I don't have paint or other matting material, so I'll probably have to stick with wood.

I'd like to get this done quicker than I am, but work keeps getting in the way.

p81500011.jpg   p81500021.jpg   p81500031.jpg  

Old 04-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
SHOOK
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go on!!!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
SauceBoss
Recipes 

nice!!! I still dont really know what Im looking at but I can tell itll be epic!

Kegged -

Upcoming - Mint Chocolate Stout, Imperial Milk Stout

Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
BARBQ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My side by side single compressor runs the freezer side then vents to the fridge side.

I was able to raise the temp in the freezer to 40F using the existing thermastat and then vented to the main fridge chamber making it 54F without any fans. The great thing about the fridge side is it doesnt fluctuate at all. The Freezer side does lot though probably a 15 degree range.

Good luck, I am interested in how you do the fans and bulb.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
rudu81
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBQ View Post
My side by side single compressor runs the freezer side then vents to the fridge side.

I was able to raise the temp in the freezer to 40F using the existing thermastat and then vented to the main fridge chamber making it 54F without any fans. The great thing about the fridge side is it doesnt fluctuate at all. The Freezer side does lot though probably a 15 degree range.

Good luck, I am interested in how you do the fans and bulb.
My first thought was to try it your way, but the fridge wouldn't fit down my staircase, so it's in the garage. That's probably the biggest reason for how big this project has to be.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 112

What was the reason behind using two conductors for each of those contacts? And are you doing something on the plexi window or will all the wires be visible from the outside?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 04-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
rudu81
Recipes 

I went with the acrylic because I needed a material that I could machine myself and that would be strong enough. The wires will be visible from the outside. There is a way to paint the acrylic, but it is much more costly. Given that this is going in the garage, I'm not too worried about that. Although I could always cover it with stickers from various breweries...

Quick Reply