The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My shamelessly cheap $12 DIY stir plate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #51
Ibrewaletx
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks for the inspiration CS223 & redshift76. It cost me $13.76 for the fan via the Amazon link, $2.99 for the 10 pack of magnets and $3.00 for the USB plug in adapter. Not as cheap as some, but not bad!

stir-plate-parts.jpg   stir-plate.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #52
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I love the use of tupperware on these. I might do that as well. Just go get some cheap, sturdy tupper ware and do that. I do like the look of a cigar box though. Otherwise I'll find something. I always do. The fan itself can be made into a stand but I don't know about there being much grip on the grille to keep the flask from vibrating off. Def don't want that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #53
tre9er
Recipes 

built this over the weekend (Friday). Used the Thermaltake 12, which is larger, just in case I wanted to do 3-5L starters (currently doing 1 and 2L). I mounted the fan to a piece of 1/2" MDF with a 2" hole drilled in the center, then slid a 2x4 under either side of the MDF to slightly elevate it/support it. I glued a zinc washer to the fan's center and just stacked 3 neodymium magnets to either side (6 total), didn't glue them down. Using a 1.5" stir-bar but had issues with throwing in a large pickle jar (my 2L, well, 2.36L "flask") due to non-flat bottom, even at lowest speed. So I put dip-tube o-rings on either end of the stir bar (it has the fulcrum in the center) and ran it just slight above lowest speed on a 2L starter beginning Saturday night. Wasn't a big vortex but I had good krausen and in about 18 hours it fell. I let it go and pitched Sunday around 3PM, so just under 24 hours since it was on the starter. Worked well for about $35 total, including fan, washer, magnets and stir-bar.

q27jh.jpg  

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #54
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

So i built one and it works. Only cost was the stir bar.
Lucked out with the box i chose (thickness of lid/space between magnet and the lid) and the strength of the hard drive magnet, because it spins in liquid without a speed control (or an on/off switch).

Here is my question:
How do I use it?

I boiled about 1ltr of water, added 3/4 cup DME, boiled another ten to fifteen mins, left it covered, let it cool

When it was cool, i opened my yeast--white labs 007, shook it until mixed, and dumped it into the glass vessel on the stir plate. Fired it up and got a nice cyclone in the middle. Left it running for about 5 hours.

Still no signs of life. Didnt have another vial so i got nervous and pitched it on my freshly brewed and aerrated wort.

Im reasonably confident it will kick off by morning but im also sure my "starter" did much more than increase my chances of an infection.

...sigh...maybe i shouldnt have experimented until i was more sure of the process...just got excited about using the new DIY homebrew gadget..

Old 11-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #55
tre9er
Recipes 

my starter took about 18 hours to show krausen. leave it be, it should be fine

Quote:

Old 11-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #56
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrewB View Post
So i built one and it works. Only cost was the stir bar.
Lucked out with the box i chose (thickness of lid/space between magnet and the lid) and the strength of the hard drive magnet, because it spins in liquid without a speed control (or an on/off switch).

Here is my question:
How do I use it?

I boiled about 1ltr of water, added 3/4 cup DME, boiled another ten to fifteen mins, left it covered, let it cool

When it was cool, i opened my yeast--white labs 007, shook it until mixed, and dumped it into the glass vessel on the stir plate. Fired it up and got a nice cyclone in the middle. Left it running for about 5 hours.

Still no signs of life. Didnt have another vial so i got nervous and pitched it on my freshly brewed and aerrated wort.

Im reasonably confident it will kick off by morning but im also sure my "starter" did much more than increase my chances of an infection.

...sigh...maybe i shouldnt have experimented until i was more sure of the process...just got excited about using the new DIY homebrew gadget..
To make a starter, an ideal ratio of water to DME is 10g DME for every 100mL water. Brewers yeast on a stir plate should be left for at least 24 hours to allow sufficient cell growth. You won't see much activity (if any) after just 5 hours. Make sure there's some sort of cover over your glass vessel. Sanitized Aluminum foil works great. It can be easily secured over the top, but still allow sufficient airflow to help the yeast growing. Just an FYI, don't put an airlock on your starters.
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze
tre9er Likes This 
Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #57
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Fermentation kicked off just fine, so just like 90% of the posts on here, I was worried about nothing.

Thanks for the 24 hr timeframe estimate. I will plan my next brew day much better and try to pitch at the height of the starter activity, after a day's worth of dizzy spinning yeasties.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #58
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I can't get my stir stick to stick to the magnets on the fan... Are they just not strong enough magnets ya think? I have tried two different sets...one I got to stay for around 2 minutes or so but slowly but surely it comes off and I can't turn it up full blast without it coming off. Stronger magnets? I have a washer between the magnets like the OP says also...

Old 11-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #59
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo57
I can't get my stir stick to stick to the magnets on the fan... Are they just not strong enough magnets ya think? I have tried two different sets...one I got to stay for around 2 minutes or so but slowly but surely it comes off and I can't turn it up full blast without it coming off. Stronger magnets? I have a washer between the magnets like the OP says also...
run it slow. no need to run it fast. ican't get mine to run fast either, but no problem, just keep yeast in suspension

Quote:

Old 11-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #60
seatbelt123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift76

Same fan/controller mounted in a plastic container. Super easy.
That is a great solution. My starters have, more than once, tried to escape. A bead of silicon on the washers would be my choice.

Quick Reply