Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My shamelessly cheap $12 DIY stir plate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #181
PistolsAtDawn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 129

This is how mine came out using these magnets (two of 'em) and a 1 inch stir bar. That's a two liter flask. It gets a pretty nice vortex going at full bore.

Thank you to everyone posting instructions for this!

stir.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #182
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Nice box, looks great. I got a good deal on a 1" stir bar, $3 delivered.

http://amzn.to/148ywup

Old 07-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #183
00p
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Anyone have any tips on gluing the magnets? Mine keep sliding all over the place before I can get them clamped down. I guess they are resisting each other too much.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #184
PistolsAtDawn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien View Post
Nice box, looks great. I got a good deal on a 1" stir bar, $3 delivered.

http://amzn.to/148ywup
Thanks! Just an el-cheapo box from a local cigar shop. That is a good deal on the stir bar. Nice find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00p View Post
Anyone have any tips on gluing the magnets? Mine keep sliding all over the place before I can get them clamped down. I guess they are resisting each other too much.
Hi 00p, I used Goop. No, seriously. It worked really well. Goop is really strong contact adhesive. You can get it at pretty much any big box store. Just apply some to both the washer and the magnets, give it two minutes or so to set up and then stick them together after that, making sure you have one magnet in one orientation and the other in the opposite (N - S).

Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #185
Stealthcruiser
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 2248

Quote:

Make a spacer to go between then, something that the glue won't stick to, ( some types of plastic), or better yet, test your fan balance with the spacer installed, and glue it all on there, ( magnets and spacer).

The latter is what I did, after first gluing a thin piece of ferrous metal,( about .012-.015 thick), to the top of my fans, stick the magnets to that , ( with the spacer), and check you balance before gluing it all up.

Corned Beef............The other pink meat.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #186
00p
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks to PistolsAtDawn and Stealthcruiser! I had some Goop on hand and used a toothpick as a spacer. I got everything in place, and will check it all out at lunch. You guys rock.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #187
alien
Recipes 

Quote:
I glued a wide penny washer to the fan with epoxy resin. Then I moved the magnets around on the washer until the balance and spacing looked right, and fixed them in place with more epoxy.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 07-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #188
Stealthcruiser
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 2248

Here's mine in work, a triple muffin fan setup removed from some equipment being scrapped at work.
The fans have a metal disc glued to the center...........This pretty much does not affect balance, ( but check any way,before you glue!).
Then, the spacers are made from plastic, with the slots cut to give the magnet some clearance, so you can re-position radially whilst dialing in the balance.
The metal disc keeps the magnets positioned, yet separated while dialing in the balance..............( positioned, yet separated.......kind of like a bra......).
When I find the sweet spot, I use some semi-runny 5 minute epoxy to secure them in place.

I would have had all 3 finished, but I busted one of the magnets crewing around with it, and have to fetch another.

Corned Beef............The other pink meat.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #189
alien
Recipes 

My 2L Erlenmeyer was just delivered, looking forward to seeing how it performs.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 07-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #190
PistolsAtDawn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

A couple things I've learned about my stir plate build now that I've made a starter:

The thickness of the wort is sufficiently different from straight water that the 1 in stir bar gets thrown at full bore, so I had to turn the speed back a little. I set it as high as it would go while being stable.

As the yeast grew in numbers and fermentation started, it got thrown again. I'm guessing because the solution was even thicker at that point and the fluid dynamics changed. I had to reset the stir bar at a slightly lesser speed again.

The 1 in stir bar makes a good amount of noise, enough so that it's actually annoying. I'm going to try to the suggestions in this thread and see what either a piece of vinyl tubing or some old keg o-rings will do for that. Hopefully they won't increase the resistance so much that it further affects the size of the vortex I can get.

The total diameter of the magnets on my fan is just over 2 inches (two, one inch magnets), so I'm guessing that if I got a larger stir bar that might keep it from getting thrown as easily as the wort composition changes and may also help with the size of the vortex I can get.

1800 mL in a 2 liter flask is really pushing it. I have krausen foaming over the top and pushing off the foil cap. Next time I'll stick to 1500 mL or less and step it up.

Quick Reply