Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My shamelessly cheap $12 DIY stir plate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #161
fc36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCougfan97 View Post
How do you do that? If I am just using the magnet and fan I can't identify the center point because of the shape. I tried with the stir bar on the magnet but there is a little play in where the stir bar will stick so that doesn't seem reliable enough.
Real easy. Put the fan on a table surface and turn it on. If it skitters and moves itself across the table surface, the magnets are off center and need to be adjusted. Just keep moving them little by little until you find a sweetspot (centerpoint). It'll take you a couple of tries, but once you feel comfortable mix up that JB Weld and lock them in place. Believe me, if the magnets are close to being centered, the stirbar will fall inline and not misbehave (as much )

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #162
cbzdel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just wanted to pass it along, it may have been mentioned already though. I got this fan from NewEgg for $14.99 shipped, I didnt need anything else off Amazon so I did not qualify for the shipping, plus they are based out of my state so I have to pay sales tax with them as well.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #163
theCougfan97
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc36

Real easy. Put the fan on a table surface and turn it on. If it skitters and moves itself across the table surface, the magnets are off center and need to be adjusted. Just keep moving them little by little until you find a sweetspot (centerpoint). It'll take you a couple of tries, but once you feel comfortable mix up that JB Weld and lock them in place. Believe me, if the magnets are close to being centered, the stirbar will fall inline and not misbehave (as much )
My fan does budge but my stir bar still gets tossed. Does that mean I need a bigger stir bar?

Wazzu taught me everything I need to know, primarily my appreciation for beer.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #164
fc36
Recipes 

Quote:
My fan does budge but my stir bar still gets tossed. Does that mean I need a bigger stir bar?
Does budge or doesn't budge? Because if it does budge that means the magnets are off center and the small 1" stirbar will get thrown all the time. I have a stirplate that is rock solid centered and I can get a ripple in my 2L flask even with the 1" stirbar, but I use a 2" stirbar for big starters and the 1" is for starters 750mLs and under.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #165
theCougfan97
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc36

Does budge or doesn't budge? Because if it does budge that means the magnets are off center and the small 1" stirbar will get thrown all the time. I have a stirplate that is rock solid centered and I can get a ripple in my 2L flask even with the 1" stirbar, but I use a 2" stirbar for big starters and the 1" is for starters 750mLs and under.
Sorry does not budge.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #166
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1380 Times on 1277 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCougfan97

Sorry does not budge.
I had to put a little more distance between the stir bar and the magnets. Right now, it's a Post It notepad

Oh, so you're just gonna sit there drinkin beer from your keg, sh!ttin in the kitchen sink, and watching him work -Xaphoeous

I McDrunko and this beer is Amazing!- McBrewskie

Old 04-11-2013, 02:56 AM   #167
theCougfan97
Recipes 

Do I want the cyclone of water to touch my stir bar and send up all those bubbles? I can get it to do the cyclone but as soon a it touches the stir bar it gets tossed. Do I just need a bigger magnet?

Old 04-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #168
fc36
Recipes 

Quote:
Do I want the cyclone of water to touch my stir bar and send up all those bubbles? I can get it to do the cyclone but as soon a it touches the stir bar it gets tossed. Do I just need a bigger magnet?
No, the cyclone is an area of turbulence. I would fully expect that your stirbar would get tossed once the cyclone touches it regardless of the size of either the stirbar or the magnets. Reduce your speed. Also once you actually start doing starters in there, your cyclone will be less pronounced due to the higher viscosity and density of a sugar/water/yeast solution. In this case, there is a measurable quantity that tells you it's a denser liquid that brewers are directly interested in: Gravity is a measure of density.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #169
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 677 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 610

I built my own stir plate, it didn't work. The first power supply I used wasn't powerful enough to spin the fan when the stir bar was present. On my second attempt, the stir bar would get tossed off immediately. I just gave up and bought a ready-made one from stirstarters.com (not spamming, check my post count - just giving a personal account). It's worked great for my 1" stir bar and 2L flask. I haven't yet tried it with my 2" stir bar and 5L flask, but that'll get to be tested when I finally make my Doppelbock later this summer.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #170
tabrazinski
Recipes 

We made one using the fan and a couple rare earth magnets. We glued the washer to the fan and never even had to glue the magnets down. Initially we did it for placement, but it worked so well we never messed with it. Then we mounted it into a little project box. Couldn't be happier with it!

Quick Reply