Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My shamelessly cheap $12 DIY stir plate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #131
Arrheinous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 131

If they're brushless DC motors, then that might help prevent flames (compared to brushes). Plus these things are - in general - made to run on PCs and I haven't heard of a PC fire starting with the fan.

But if you're putting a load (a pipe and magnet setup), that might create some kind of drag or wear on the motor. The other issue is if the flask/jar/growler leaks into the housing or if condensation builds up within the box and causes some kind of short.

Yet these are advertised in some cases for drying the insides of boots and have been used in fermentation chambers to push air around. Those could be considered moderately unideal and I don't think I've seen a thread around here about one catching fire.

Been around fancy industrial stirplates for a while and never heard of one catching fire either and those are built with heaters that get up to 300C in some cases. More common, something catches fire on top of them.

Fermenting: Southern English Brown Ale; Rice Wine; Tripel; Scotch Ale
Aging: Brett'd Old Ale; Ancho Chile Berliner Weisse; Flander's Red; Oud Bruin; Pumpkin Lambic
On Tap: Scotch Ale; Cherry Lacto Saison; Pumpkin Stout; Styrian Aurora Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #132
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrheinous View Post
Nabbed your idea. Built a prototype in a cardboard Bijoux Terner tie box.
The first stirplate I made used a very sturdy cardboard box. As I was inexperienced with stirplates, I made the mistake of filling my 2000mL flask with 2000mL of wort, and THEN adding the yeast. Not usually a problem, the constant spinning typically cuts down on krausen, but this was my first attempt, and my stirbar got thrown while I was at work. I came back home to a flask that had a LOT of krausen overflowing the flask getting all over my cardboard box. The fan I used was dry still, but the box no longer was adequate to hold that starter.

Just keep this in mind when making a plate with a material that won't hold its shape if wet. FYI, had I used a foam reducer (such as Fermcap-S) as I do now, I probably wouldn't have had an issue.
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze

Old 01-20-2013, 04:25 AM   #133
michgan241
Recipes 

ok so i think i did everything right but i cant seem to get my stirbar to spin... it kind of nervously hops around the bottom of my flask..

Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #134
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I gotta rebuild my stirplate cuz it keeps throwing stirbars. Looks like I found my next fan.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #135
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgan241 View Post
ok so i think i did everything right but i cant seem to get my stirbar to spin... it kind of nervously hops around the bottom of my flask..
Put the bar in the flask with water, and have the magnet grab hold of the bar BEFORE you start the stir plate. Start up the plate from the slowest setting up to wherever you want it, and it should work.

I had the same issue when I tried to place the flask down onto an already spinning stir plate.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #136
DenverUSMC
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc36
I gotta rebuild my stirplate cuz it keeps throwing stirbars. Looks like I found my next fan.
Deleted, wrong thread.
Fermenting
: AHS Anniversary IPA
Lagering
: Heineken clone
Next:

Old 01-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #137
DenverUSMC
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgan241
Try flipping one of the magnets over, see if that helps.
Fermenting
: AHS Anniversary IPA
Lagering
: Heineken clone
Next:

Old 01-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #138
mjap52
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My [double] take on this build!

Eggertsville Brewhouse: Stealing the livers of suburbanites, one pint at a time!

People Like This 
Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #139
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I finally made mine after having it sit for 2 months. It works on a medium setting, but when it is low it throws the stir bar. I get a vortex going and it seems to work fine at that point. At a high setting it throws the magnets, so maybe I'll glue them on. I just have the basic fan at this point, I'll have to build some kind of enclosure or at least a plexiglas top that's bigger than the bottom of the flask.

So how fast does this need to go anyway? I would think just enough to keep things moving

Old 02-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #140
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
I finally made mine after having it sit for 2 months. It works on a medium setting, but when it is low it throws the stir bar. I get a vortex going and it seems to work fine at that point. At a high setting it throws the magnets, so maybe I'll glue them on. I just have the basic fan at this point, I'll have to build some kind of enclosure or at least a plexiglas top that's bigger than the bottom of the flask.

So how fast does this need to go anyway? I would think just enough to keep things moving
low speed is fine. It's really just to keep the yeast in suspension. Does your stir-bar have a fulcrum on it? I shaved the fulcrum off and it's working better. Prior to that sometimes I'd use cornie dip-tube o-rings on the outer edges of the stir-bar and it would run better at certain speeds. Play around with that and also the height the fan is from the flask. I also have to do different things for different vessels (I have a 2.36L pickle jar I use for larger starters and the bottom is concave, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply