Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Sculpture was not created equal!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 02:43 AM   #31
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1030 Times on 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelikesit2000 View Post
I'm hoping they will be fine. I did rotate the heads 180 so that they will not trap air. Is there a concern that that you wish to share?
Of the two possible horizontal orientations, you actually rotated the heads into a position where they will trap air. Which is why the pumps were shipped with the opposite head orientation.

Other than that, the least problematic orientation is actually vertical, with the outlet above the inlet.

There are no end of threads that will lead you to the same conclusion...

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #32
GreatWetNorth
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just wondering if you can post any details of the welding you did on the fittings. I'm also a welder and I'm planning on doing the same thing to a couple kegs I have sitting around. Glad to see someone using Solar-Flux. I looked into it a couple years ago and found it's not rated for food-grade welding. With that said, I'm sure with a good weld and proper cleaning it should be fine (and like you said, a lot cheaper and easier than purging).

Brien C
Weldless? Why would anyone want to weld less?

Old 12-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #33
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelikesit2000 View Post
Ollie is always there to lend a hand.
First look I thought your son was holding an oxy tourch! Now that would be some bad-ass 7 year old (although even now he looks like he's probably a better welder than I am)

Old 12-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #34
maplebrew
Recipes 

Very Nice ! ! Makes me want to reinvest a few hundred into mine.. What compression fitting manufacture did you use?

Old 12-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #35
mikelikesit2000
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWetNorth View Post
Just wondering if you can post any details of the welding you did on the fittings. I'm also a welder and I'm planning on doing the same thing to a couple kegs I have sitting around. Glad to see someone using Solar-Flux. I looked into it a couple years ago and found it's not rated for food-grade welding. With that said, I'm sure with a good weld and proper cleaning it should be fine (and like you said, a lot cheaper and easier than purging).
Basically you want to start with clean metal. You also want a tight joint. Because the kegs are relativity thin and the couplings are much thicker you are going to want to focus the arc mostly on the coupling, sweeping over to the keg (over the filler wire, I used 3/32" 316L) fast enough to see the weld puddle "wash" on to the keg. This is where heat is your friend. To many people try to turn there tig machine down too low (55-65 amps) with the thought that this will prevent them from blowing a hole in the thinner material. But what actually happens is because the amperage is low they need to move slower in order to get the filler metal to melt, the base metal starts soaking up all of that heat, and then "bam" a hole opens up. It is better to turn the amperage up and move a lot faster. I weld mine in quarters to distribute the heat around.

As far as the solar flux is concerned, First mix it with Denatured Alcohol, It work better this way. Because the product (wort) is being boiled I am not to concerned with the "not food grade" issue. If I were going to weld on a fermenter or piping that the wort would contact post boil, I would purge with argon.

My Build My Photo Gallery

Old 12-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #36
mikelikesit2000
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplebrew View Post
Very Nice ! ! Makes me want to reinvest a few hundred into mine.. What compression fitting manufacture did you use?
The tube fittings are a mixture of Swagelok and Parker. Basically whatever I can get cheap or free.

Stealthcruiser Likes This 
Old 12-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #37
mikelikesit2000
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Of the two possible horizontal orientations, you actually rotated the heads into a position where they will trap air. Which is why the pumps were shipped with the opposite head orientation.

Cheers!
I rotated them back to there shipped position after the photos were taken. I was going to mount them a different way so I had rotated the heads to see if it would work, but I didn't like it, so I mounted them as the photos show and rotated the heads back.

I appreciate your concerns. I have always believed that several sets of eyes on a project is better then one.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #38
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 42 Posts

Like you have done I used the Solar flux when tig welding parts onto kegs, did you back weld the inside of the couplings and buff it smooth?, or just the outside.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #39
mikelikesit2000
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This is where I am at as of right now. I ran out of fittings. I am starting to think about how I will do the LP gas manifold. I am going to use Asco valves to control the burners. I have 3 Asco valves that I salvaged, only problem is one is not working.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #40
tdogg
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

very cool build! isn't that built in chiller hard to clean?

Quick Reply