New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Sculpture was not created equal!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #141
Sparky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Interested in what kind of (electrical) controls you have. I may have missed it in the past couple pages.

Good that you are not having your welds X-rayed at home. And, at least OSHA is not showing up in your driveway!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #142
Welderbydaybrewerbynight
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazzBarlow
I have a question for you both, since you're professional welders (mikelikesit2000 and Welderbydaybrewerbynight).

Why is it that everyone seems to be using such large tubing for their brewstands? (You two included) Most of the stands seem to be overbuilt to me. 2 x 2 is an awful lot of steel! Hypothetically, if you were doing 15 gal batches and had HLT, Mash and Boil Kettle full, we're talking a total weight of less than 450 lbs including kettles.

I think I could park my car on top of some of these stands and roll it around the driveway.

/end threadjack
I can't speak for mike but I got all my steel for free, and 2 by 2 box tube was what was available. I also like working with it, 1" tube would be fine but I like the beefy look of it. Big steel, big pipe, big welds make me happy.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #143
mikelikesit2000
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazzBarlow View Post
I have a question for you both, since you're professional welders (mikelikesit2000 and Welderbydaybrewerbynight).

Why is it that everyone seems to be using such large tubing for their brewstands? (You two included) Most of the stands seem to be overbuilt to me. 2 x 2 is an awful lot of steel! Hypothetically, if you were doing 15 gal batches and had HLT, Mash and Boil Kettle full, we're talking a total weight of less than 450 lbs including kettles.

I think I could park my car on top of some of these stands and roll it around the driveway.

/end threadjack
I plan at some time to go to a 1 bbl system. So for me strength was a major consideration when I designed my stand.

For others, sure, 1" tube would be enough. But the smaller tube does look kind of funny with the bigger vessels on it. So the looks of the larger tube I think is preferred by many.

Also, It is easier to weld thicker material. It can be welded at a much higher amperage which makes for nicer welds.

IMHO

My Build My Photo Gallery

Old 03-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #144
mikelikesit2000
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Interested in what kind of (electrical) controls you have. I may have missed it in the past couple pages.

Good that you are not having your welds X-rayed at home. And, at least OSHA is not showing up in your driveway!
I am using ebay Chinese temp controllers. Right now they are only wired up for manual control, meaning I control when the pumps come on and when the burners come on.

I need to relocate the temp probes down to the drain ports to get a better "real time" temp as I recirculate before attempting to run the controllers in an "auto" mode.

I am actually enjoying brewing on my system right now, and learning the differences from what I was used to before. I have brewed 3 times in the last 4 weeks, and have now run out of room to store beer. This is a great problem to have. I, of course increased my consumption levels in order to combat this problem.

Stealthcruiser Likes This 
Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 AM   #145
mikelikesit2000
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verloc5150 View Post
Gorgeous looking sculpture. I'm green with envy, especially of all those nice pretty welds.
Thanks Verloc for the compliment.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #146
autobaun70

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelikesit2000 View Post
I am using ebay Chinese temp controllers. Right now they are only wired up for manual control, meaning I control when the pumps come on and when the burners come on.

I need to relocate the temp probes down to the drain ports to get a better "real time" temp as I recirculate before attempting to run the controllers in an "auto" mode.

I am actually enjoying brewing on my system right now, and learning the differences from what I was used to before. I have brewed 3 times in the last 4 weeks, and have now run out of room to store beer. This is a great problem to have. I, of course increased my consumption levels in order to combat this problem.
what probes are you using? I like the idea of using these rather than the others that are out there just because I am familiar with them from my fermentation chamber, and the price can't be beat. I may even get a spare just to keep on the shelf.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #147
mikelikesit2000
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
what probes are you using? I like the idea of using these rather than the others that are out there just because I am familiar with them from my fermentation chamber, and the price can't be beat. I may even get a spare just to keep on the shelf.
I ordered these probes on ebay. I tore out the sensors from the thermowells because they were the wrong type for the controllers. I then inserted the K-type probes that came with the controllers. I did use some heat paste in the wells for better heat transfer.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #148
mikelikesit2000
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So here is my latest upgrade to my brewery. This micro-RIMS setup consists of a 400w 120v heat cartridge that is 1/2"od installed into a custom made mini rims tube. The cartridge will be controlled by the temp controller in auto mode.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:02 AM   #149
Primevci
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Looks Great Mike. now i understand why your Detailing looks great looks like you take pride in everything you do...

Keg 1: No Name IPA
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Cream Soda "Kids"
Primary 1 = Oatmeal Stout
Primary 2 = Alaskan Amber Clone
Primary 3 = ApelfWein

Old 08-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #150
Welderbydaybrewerbynight
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

You aren't up here at instructor training in Ann arbor by any chance are you?

Quick Reply