New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Sculpture was not created equal!




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #141
Sparky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Muir Beach, California
Posts: 289
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Interested in what kind of (electrical) controls you have. I may have missed it in the past couple pages.

Good that you are not having your welds X-rayed at home. And, at least OSHA is not showing up in your driveway!



__________________
Sparky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #142
Welderbydaybrewerbynight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 195
Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazzBarlow
I have a question for you both, since you're professional welders (mikelikesit2000 and Welderbydaybrewerbynight).

Why is it that everyone seems to be using such large tubing for their brewstands? (You two included) Most of the stands seem to be overbuilt to me. 2 x 2 is an awful lot of steel! Hypothetically, if you were doing 15 gal batches and had HLT, Mash and Boil Kettle full, we're talking a total weight of less than 450 lbs including kettles.

I think I could park my car on top of some of these stands and roll it around the driveway.

/end threadjack
I can't speak for mike but I got all my steel for free, and 2 by 2 box tube was what was available. I also like working with it, 1" tube would be fine but I like the beefy look of it. Big steel, big pipe, big welds make me happy.


__________________
Welderbydaybrewerbynight is offline
Stealthcruiser Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #143
mikelikesit2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TEMECULA, CA
Posts: 405
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazzBarlow View Post
I have a question for you both, since you're professional welders (mikelikesit2000 and Welderbydaybrewerbynight).

Why is it that everyone seems to be using such large tubing for their brewstands? (You two included) Most of the stands seem to be overbuilt to me. 2 x 2 is an awful lot of steel! Hypothetically, if you were doing 15 gal batches and had HLT, Mash and Boil Kettle full, we're talking a total weight of less than 450 lbs including kettles.

I think I could park my car on top of some of these stands and roll it around the driveway.

/end threadjack
I plan at some time to go to a 1 bbl system. So for me strength was a major consideration when I designed my stand.

For others, sure, 1" tube would be enough. But the smaller tube does look kind of funny with the bigger vessels on it. So the looks of the larger tube I think is preferred by many.

Also, It is easier to weld thicker material. It can be welded at a much higher amperage which makes for nicer welds.

IMHO
__________________
Brewed this year- "Maiden Voyage" Pale Ale - Peat Smoked Earl Grey Porter - American "Orange Blossom" Wheat - IRA -

My Build My Photo Gallery
mikelikesit2000 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #144
mikelikesit2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TEMECULA, CA
Posts: 405
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Interested in what kind of (electrical) controls you have. I may have missed it in the past couple pages.

Good that you are not having your welds X-rayed at home. And, at least OSHA is not showing up in your driveway!
I am using ebay Chinese temp controllers. Right now they are only wired up for manual control, meaning I control when the pumps come on and when the burners come on.

I need to relocate the temp probes down to the drain ports to get a better "real time" temp as I recirculate before attempting to run the controllers in an "auto" mode.

I am actually enjoying brewing on my system right now, and learning the differences from what I was used to before. I have brewed 3 times in the last 4 weeks, and have now run out of room to store beer. This is a great problem to have. I, of course increased my consumption levels in order to combat this problem.
__________________
Brewed this year- "Maiden Voyage" Pale Ale - Peat Smoked Earl Grey Porter - American "Orange Blossom" Wheat - IRA -

My Build My Photo Gallery
mikelikesit2000 is offline
Stealthcruiser Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 AM   #145
mikelikesit2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TEMECULA, CA
Posts: 405
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verloc5150 View Post
Gorgeous looking sculpture. I'm green with envy, especially of all those nice pretty welds.
Thanks Verloc for the compliment.
__________________
Brewed this year- "Maiden Voyage" Pale Ale - Peat Smoked Earl Grey Porter - American "Orange Blossom" Wheat - IRA -

My Build My Photo Gallery
mikelikesit2000 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #146
autobaun70
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
autobaun70's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 426
Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelikesit2000 View Post
I am using ebay Chinese temp controllers. Right now they are only wired up for manual control, meaning I control when the pumps come on and when the burners come on.

I need to relocate the temp probes down to the drain ports to get a better "real time" temp as I recirculate before attempting to run the controllers in an "auto" mode.

I am actually enjoying brewing on my system right now, and learning the differences from what I was used to before. I have brewed 3 times in the last 4 weeks, and have now run out of room to store beer. This is a great problem to have. I, of course increased my consumption levels in order to combat this problem.
what probes are you using? I like the idea of using these rather than the others that are out there just because I am familiar with them from my fermentation chamber, and the price can't be beat. I may even get a spare just to keep on the shelf.
__________________
autobaun70 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #147
mikelikesit2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TEMECULA, CA
Posts: 405
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
what probes are you using? I like the idea of using these rather than the others that are out there just because I am familiar with them from my fermentation chamber, and the price can't be beat. I may even get a spare just to keep on the shelf.
I ordered these probes on ebay. I tore out the sensors from the thermowells because they were the wrong type for the controllers. I then inserted the K-type probes that came with the controllers. I did use some heat paste in the wells for better heat transfer.
__________________
Brewed this year- "Maiden Voyage" Pale Ale - Peat Smoked Earl Grey Porter - American "Orange Blossom" Wheat - IRA -

My Build My Photo Gallery
mikelikesit2000 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #148
mikelikesit2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TEMECULA, CA
Posts: 405
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

So here is my latest upgrade to my brewery. This micro-RIMS setup consists of a 400w 120v heat cartridge that is 1/2"od installed into a custom made mini rims tube. The cartridge will be controlled by the temp controller in auto mode.

__________________
Brewed this year- "Maiden Voyage" Pale Ale - Peat Smoked Earl Grey Porter - American "Orange Blossom" Wheat - IRA -

My Build My Photo Gallery
mikelikesit2000 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 02:02 AM   #149
Primevci
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Battle Ground, Washington
Posts: 359
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Looks Great Mike. now i understand why your Detailing looks great looks like you take pride in everything you do...

__________________

Keg 1: No Name IPA
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Cream Soda "Kids"
Primary 1 = Oatmeal Stout
Primary 2 = Alaskan Amber Clone
Primary 3 = ApelfWein

Primevci is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #150
Welderbydaybrewerbynight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 195
Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

You aren't up here at instructor training in Ann arbor by any chance are you?



__________________
Welderbydaybrewerbynight is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Brew Sculpture Hockyplr DIY Projects 14 08-30-2011 04:13 AM
Just finished my sculpture! Chipster27 DIY Projects 21 04-30-2011 11:12 PM
Aluminum for sculpture skizziks DIY Projects 9 11-26-2010 04:32 AM
Help with BREW SCULPTURE Please!!! Nikko2000 DIY Projects 1 04-24-2010 01:35 AM
Brew Sculpture Wade E DIY Projects 3 06-24-2009 11:27 PM