Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Rolling Portable Keg Dispensing Unit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 02:07 AM   #1
kpr121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default My Rolling Portable Keg Dispensing Unit

Heres some pics of my progress on my adaptation of the rolling kegerater. This will be used for tailgates, parties, concerts, etc. It fits one corny perfectly fine (with room for ice and probably some additional beers). It is sooo close to being able to fit 2 corneys that I may eventually do some hacking of the insulation to get em to squeeze in there.

Havent completely decided how I am going dispense from this, but for now it will just be a picnic tap out the back. Gonna have it ready for the Pirates home opener tailgate (try to get wasted so I don't have to pay attention to the game).

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 02:11 AM   #2
kpr121
Recipes 

This is just the start. I still need to add a hinge to the top, add panel insulation to the interior, and drill a hole for the tap. I also need to figure a way to somewhat temporarily but securely fasten the wooden box to the cooler. I want to be able to throw the factory lid back on fairly easily when I need to.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 04-06-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
sammy33
Induction Junky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Nice.

I am wondering if something simple like some adjustable straps with hooks would work for temporarily attaching your box? A couple brackets on the outside to attach the strap to on each side.

You could also add some cheap wood molding to fill those gaps on the inside corner. Maybe a lip around the lid with molding to help the seal?

Picnic tap should be perfect. At a tailgate party, after 4-5 beers, nobody is gonna care that it is not a nice Perlick!

March '14 Photo Contest - Brewing Ingredients
Check it out!

Old 04-06-2011, 03:12 AM   #4
rollinred
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Seems to me that you would have been better just building a double walled wooden box and used insulation board in between the walls. Or even Wood outside and fiberglass the inside so it is waterproof.

It is going to be kind of difficult to attach that top.

But hey, good luck, I hope it works because that is a great idea!

Old 04-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
kpr121
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy33 View Post
Nice.

I am wondering if something simple like some adjustable straps with hooks would work for temporarily attaching your box? A couple brackets on the outside to attach the strap to on each side.

You could also add some cheap wood molding to fill those gaps on the inside corner. Maybe a lip around the lid with molding to help the seal?

Picnic tap should be perfect. At a tailgate party, after 4-5 beers, nobody is gonna care that it is not a nice Perlick!
Thanks for the response. I am hoping that the insulation board will cover up those gaps. They are less than 1 inch thick. Although your suggestion did give me an idea. I could create a lip that dropped down into the cooler on 2 or all sides. Then that would give me something to anchor screws or bolt into from the outside of the cooler wall. It wont be in the spirit of "keeping it factory", but it wont be completely gutted either. I think two bolts on the left and right side would work well.

Dunno if I'll be able to do that before tomorrow, so I may use your strap idea as well!

Yeah the more I think about it, Im gonna stick with a picnic tap. I'd rather spend the money on new brew equipment or ingredients.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 04-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
kpr121
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinred View Post
Seems to me that you would have been better just building a double walled wooden box and used insulation board in between the walls. Or even Wood outside and fiberglass the inside so it is waterproof.

It is going to be kind of difficult to attach that top.

But hey, good luck, I hope it works because that is a great idea!
Those sound like alot more work, and I had the cooler sitting around anyhow. I appreciate the suggestions though. I am pretty sure that my bolt idea should work for attaching the top. Either that or some kind of latch that I can attach to the cooler.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 04-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
kpr121
Recipes 

I may have to end up skinning the inside of the box with fiberglass or maybe some FRP paneling. I dunno how well that foamboard will do in wet/humid environments.

For tommorrow I dont even think I am going to insulate it. Its only going to be high 50's and clouds/rain. That will give me an idea about how much splashing takes place while rolling (shouldnt be much). Since the wood is hardwood ply, shouldnt have many issues with moisture yet.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 04-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

I'm adding a removable collar to mine, to allow either 3 or 5 gallon kegs to be used:

I'm considering either metal "flip latches" or velco straps to hold the collar and lid together.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
kpr121
Recipes 

Hey Cpt, your build is actually what inspired me to do this. Are those kegs the same diameter of 5 gallon cornys? I wasnt able to get two kegs in mine unless I really pushed them down hard. It felt like I would break the plastic liner so I didnt go that far. Plus it was hard to get them back out.

Heavy Duty Velcro sounds like a great idea! I might pick some up for the tailgate tomorrow.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
Hey Cpt, your build is actually what inspired me to do this. Are those kegs the same diameter of 5 gallon cornys? I wasnt able to get two kegs in mine unless I really pushed them down hard. It felt like I would break the plastic liner so I didnt go that far. Plus it was hard to get them back out.

Heavy Duty Velcro sounds like a great idea! I might pick some up for the tailgate tomorrow.
The kegs fit in TIGHT, there is only one way to fit them, you have to move them around and find the sweet spot.

I like having two kinds of brew. Plus, it has two taps.

Quick Reply