Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My RIMS Build... Almost ready to run.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
ikonis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default My RIMS Build... Almost ready to run.

I was building an E-HERMS build, but learned two major things:

1. Coolers are expensive, especially when you hack two of them up beyond repair.
  2. It is hard to fix a leaking cooler. (Well for me it was!)

The inspiration for me to go "waste" more money on this hobby was Sawdustguy's RIMS for dummies thread. So, I went back to that and decided to use all that I had already purchased to do a RIMS.

There is the tube I came up with using all 1/2" SS fittings... Mounted with exhaust hangers. I'm just waiting on the ELD heater element to get to the house before I can go any further.

There's the whole stand. It isn't too big, since I brew in my kitchen, it needs to be able to be put away. The copper pipe needs a ball valve (on the way) on it... I usually start building then realize that I am missing more pieces to the puzzle. No biggie, I can cut the copper and put some male fittings and plop in the valve. It will go to the HLT that is sitting on the stove. Since I'll be heating up the sparge water during the mashing, I can pump it through the heating element on the way to the mash tun.

The control box, plain and simple. Was a box I saw at the hobby store, fitted my needs perfectly. Would have a shot of the inside, but the camera's battery died on me. Everything is fused up so my house cannot blow up the electronics.

The return and sparge manifolds. Had the copper laying around. Both have QD's on the top. The wire at the bottom of the return manifold is so that I can adjust the height of the manifold as needed.

In the next few days, I *should* be able to do a wet run on this and see where I need to go from there.

I'd appreciate any help on learning the ins and outs of the PID controller, since I have never used one. Any settings I should change? Or should they stay the same. I thought I've read people changing some of the variables for better accuracy... but maybe I am mistaken.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I think you are going to like the RIMS, works great for me. I don't use a regular PID so I can't help much with that. I use a BCS and with my set up I need to set my temps about 3F higher than what I want my mash temps to be. I use a Keggle so I am guessing your system might not need any adjustment at all.

Good luck with it!

Old 11-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
brewluver
Recipes 

looks great, I am working on something like this. Can we get a closer shot of the control panel.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
ikonis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As requested... After the battery on my camera recharged.

Front

Top/Rear... The agitator label will probably be removed... an extra socket now without a HERMS build.

Rat's nest of wires.
Those are 2A slow blow fuses going to the left socket (pump/agitator sockets)
And a .25A fast acting fuse going to the PID

Old 11-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Plan9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We set our PID up a year ago, I don't remember what changes we had to make.
I do remember we had to do a "learning" with water to establish it's memory or something. It should be in the instruction sheet.

Central Florida Home Brewers

http://twitter.com/PlanNine

Old 11-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 

Looks like an Auber PID? Typically there is some fiddling to do with the PID, but the manuals do a good job of explaining the settings. In your case, you should really only have to set it up for Auto Tune. After about 4 on/off cycles the PID will finish its auto tune function and run in auto mode very effectively.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
brewluver
Recipes 

Thanks for those close up shots of the control box. This is great, I too have to be able to take down and move my brewing equipment, so this was great to see.

Thanks

Old 11-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
ikonis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Looks like an Auber PID? Typically there is some fiddling to do with the PID, but the manuals do a good job of explaining the settings. In your case, you should really only have to set it up for Auto Tune. After about 4 on/off cycles the PID will finish its auto tune function and run in auto mode very effectively.

It is indeed an Auber PID. I am aware of the autotuning... And if that is all that I need to do, then great! Just in unfamiliar territory here... and haven't gotten to play with it yet

Old 11-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
The Pol
Recipes 

When you get to play with it... you will see things very clearly. AutoTune is easy to set up, just keep that RIMS element wet

Old 11-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I called SUYI at auberins. He helped me setup up all the parameters...I WOULD HAVE NEVER FIGURED IT OUT without him. There were some defaults that were incorrect and he caught them....very cool guy.

Quick Reply