Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My ridiculously easy stir plate build - nearly no tools needed!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
camiller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default My ridiculously easy stir plate build - nearly no tools needed!

I'll skip the obvious stuff that is covered in multiple threads already. If you haven't already read Anthony's excellent http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-stirplate-cheap-easy-build-86252/

First is my fan in the enclosure I selected. The box contained these foam'ish inserts from it's previous life. During my testing the fan ran pretty good without even being attached, I just hot glued it to the foam Heck elmers glue would probably work. This configuration left the magnet about 0.5 below the top of the box when closed, which seems to work pretty good for my stirbar.

I dremeled out a notch for the cable from the fan when the box is closed. Could have easily used a wood file, or less easily a fingernail file. Or for that matter heated a nail on a stove burner and burned the notch.

I opted to use a variable power supply I had laying around. Voltage is switchable from 1.5-12 volts in 1.5 volt increments (excluding 10.5v).

Looking at the tip of the power supply I realized that the pin diameter was about the same as the pin in the molex connector on the fan so...

The rubber band pulls the connector over to make contact with the next connector completing the circuit. I wasn't really satisfied with the rubber band solution though and since the tip is removable (the power supply originally came with a variety of tips) and the fan also had the standard three pin motherboard connector so version two of the connection was born

It requires a little fineness with a pair of pliers and a couple bits cut from a paperclip. There are small kinks in the wires to make them snug in the larger openings of the power supply and a bend in one of the wires to make it line up with the middle wire on the fan connector. Obviously with exposed wires hanging out of the end of the power supply like that you won't want to plug it into the wall unless it is plugged into the fan first.

And the money shot. This is running at 9v (stirbar gets thrown at 12v) when I run it at 3v it pulls the dimple down about one inch. At 1.5v the fan stalls out.

If you made it this far thanks for taking the time to read.

Last edited by shecky; 04-27-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: requested by OP

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Nice! One of these days I'll have to get me a fancy flask for my stirplate.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 07-15-2010, 02:54 AM   #3
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

love it.

where did you get the box from? Would we be able to get one from somewhere?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
camiller
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Nice! One of these days I'll have to get me a fancy flask for my stirplate.
In hindsight I almost regret buying the flask. I should put up a pic of my alternative. it is a flower vase like this one. With the one I have one Liter fills it to the widest part which leaves a lot of surface area for o2 absorption. When I get a chance I'll post a pic of it running with the vase.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Hmmm, time to raid SWMBO's flower vase collection.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 02-11-2011, 03:01 AM   #6
Snowhere
Recipes 

Nice and easy! I may have a free stirplate from my dad's photography lab coming if my mom can find it. If that is not found I will build my own like yours.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
camiller
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
Nice and easy! I may have a free stirplate from my dad's photography lab coming if my mom can find it. If that is not found I will build my own like yours.
Thanks for your kind comments, I would have replied sooner but I'm just back at a computer since some minor surgery last week.

The one thing I would add is that originally I thought the magnet would be strong enough to stick to the washer without help, but ultimately the magnet began to drift a bit, so I had to use a little glue to make sure it stays centered.

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
rekoob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

love it, i made mine about two years ago... come to think of it i think i hot glued it to the enclosure too... just used it last week for a mead starter... still works GREAT.... nice job.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:19 AM   #9
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Is there a cheap fan you'd recommend? I don't really have one laying around >_> and they're still cheaper than buying a plate.
Then I've got a 1 gal jug I use for starters, would this be acceptable on the plate?
And finally, would I need a case or could I get away with gluing the fan to thin sheet of plastic(I'm thinking a hunk of a CD case)

The best beer I ever made was the next one I brew.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:50 AM   #10
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

great design,

where did the magnet come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D