The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My ongoing basement bar build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 04:38 AM   #31
lockwom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This looks spectacular! If I had the space, I'd attempt the same. In the meantime, I try to just store my goods. Space in proportional to distance to DC on an affordable budget.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #32
Trimmer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

We have the space out here in Fairfax Station, but you have the good restaurants...

serious questions though. I need some suggestions from the kegging experts. I can't decide on the best way to keep my beer lines cool in my tower. I have two options that both have their pro's and con's but ultimately I want cool beer lines to my tower. I am using four 14' bev seal lines (I hope that is long enough because I have already cut my lines...) that will run up my Stainless TEE tower. Also I already made the DIY beer line cleaner http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-...leaner-226497/

Option one - Run each beer line through copper lines all the way up the beer tower. Thanks Bradsul
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/pvc-...olution-43072/

The disadvantage to this is that I will not be able to take my beer lines completely out to soak and clean. Since I am using the bev seal line I know it a PITA to put those 3.16 line on a 1/" barb. But if the DIY beer line cleaner works I should never have to take the lines out, correct?

Option two - If I just insulate the inside of my tower will it stay plenty cool? The advantage to this is that I can take out my beer lines and soak them very easily. Does anyone know how much warmer my lines will be with this set up???

Would any other option work better than these? What would you all recommend I do?

My basement bar build!!!!
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-o...-build-369105/

Old 12-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #33
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I built this to cool my tower:

http://www.kegkits.com/kegerator5.htmimage-481465632.jpg

It works great. Just blows cold air from the bottom of my kegerator to the top of the tower. I need to widen the tower hole though as the tube plus 3 beer lines don't fit very well. I even built an on/off switch for when I'm going to be gone or whatever. image-2180651895.jpg

The site offers a premade version that is much prettier and probably works better. It costs me just slightly less to make the ugly junk version.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #34
Trimmer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Is there any chance my Tee tower would sweat and ruin my nice wood bar top finish?

Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #35
Ryush806

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimmer
Is there any chance my Tee tower would sweat and ruin my nice wood bar top finish?
It probably would sweat if you didn't insulate the inside of it. Mine sweats (no insulation yet) but I guess it evaporates fast enough that it doesn't start dripping down.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #36
kitemanks
Recipes 

How far away from your freezer is the tree?? I would consider running a large diameter pvc pipe (same diameter as your tree) from your freezer to and possibly into the tree allowing the freezer to keep this air cold. You could wrap the pvc if you want in some insulation, to minumize the thermal loss. If your Tree is a ways away I would do the PVC trick and then install quick disconnect devices on your beer line. Then pull the lines through the PVC after attaching a nice size line or string to help the lines back through after cleaning and visual inspection. Star san is a good lubricant too if things get tight.

Most Trees have insulation (foam) on the inside that prevent sweating. Commercial Kegorators are a good example, however this is helped by the refridgerating unit keeping this area cold. This is why I would use a Large PVC Pipe to connect the two.

I run maybe 6ft of line in my refridgerator from keg to tap and it works fine, I despense and carbonate at 10 psi normally, unless I'm using a carbonating stone. Your beer line length should be more than adequate.

Oh and by the way your bar build is quite impressive and spot on!

I feel sorry for people who don't drink, because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they will feel all day!

Eric

Old 12-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #37
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimmer View Post
It is coming together. Any questions from the crowd?
When can I get some beer?

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #38
RMS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I cannot wait to see the taps get installed. I never really new what it took to set up taps on a bar so this is really interesting and more to it than I thought.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #39
bearaids
Recipes 

Awesome build! I love the way the bar flips up to access the keezer. I am just starting to build my bar and might steal this idea. What type of freezer did you end up buying? How many kegs will fit inside? Is it tall enough where you don't need to make a collar (I've seen this in many keezer builds)? Also, where did you get your Tap tower?

Keep up the good work!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #40
Trimmer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearaids View Post
Awesome build! I love the way the bar flips up to access the keezer. I am just starting to build my bar and might steal this idea. What type of freezer did you end up buying? How many kegs will fit inside? Is it tall enough where you don't need to make a collar (I've seen this in many keezer builds)? Also, where did you get your Tap tower?

Keep up the good work!
It is coming together nicely. I ended up buying the kenmore 8.8 from from Sears because it wasn't as deep as some other chest freezers. Four kegs (almost 5) easily fit inside the 7.2' CF chest freezers is just too tight. So I have four kegs on the floor and a 22 CF nitrogen tank and 10# co2 tank on the hump. No collar needed.

I got my four tee tower from a company called ACUMETALFAB. This is the company that makes many of the towers for suppliers that we typically buy from. He was great to work with and it was inexpensive and very well made.

Quick Reply