Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My New Wort Chilling Station

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #21
korndog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Very nice setup all the way 'round. Congrats! Some folks (including myself) have found it useful to orient the pump outflow facing straight up for priming considerations. If you end up having any issues, you could consider a purge (bleeder) valve with a spigot coming out of your box.

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #22
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is neat. I rigged up something similar:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=37557

My only fear with your design would be the fixed (electric) pump in such a close and closed proximity to the chiller. If there were a leaking issue, you would have a situation on your hands. I assume (actually, looking at your rig I know) you are hooking into GFI, but it is a little to close for me. I am sure you know your abilities and tested this, so should work good for you.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:35 PM   #23
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_PA View Post
That is neat. I rigged up something similar:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=37557

My only fear with your design would be the fixed (electric) pump in such a close and closed proximity to the chiller. If there were a leaking issue, you would have a situation on your hands. I assume (actually, looking at your rig I know) you are hooking into GFI, but it is a little to close for me. I am sure you know your abilities and tested this, so should work good for you.

So that's where the idea came from! I couldn't remember but I knew I saw someone else had a pump encased inside a toolbox.

Yeah, its actually being plugged into a GFI socket. I'll be monitoring closely for any leakage. Used it for the first time on Sunday - worked great!

Old 08-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #24
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Wow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer
Nicely implemented. I have toyed with this idea too, only keeping the pump connects separate from the chiller. I currently have everything mounted to an old stool. I definitely couldn't use the silicone hosing for the chill water throughput. My water pressures would have it blown up like a balloon.
I hear you about the water pressure, Ada has some serious pressure and my silicone hose always bulges. Very scary!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
The only downside I see is that the pump is completely dedicated to chilling where I find myself using it for everything. I suppose you don't have a brew sculpture to mound this stuff to, in which case it's a great idea.
I'm definitely doing this, and I will be separating the pump and chiller connections. I think I will simply use more male QD connections outside the box and connect to the chiller once I need it. I only have one pump and use it for everything also. Man I love the ideas this forum gives you. I also think I want the back-end of the pump with the electric and coil opening outside of the box where it can cool itself off. I can only imagine using that with the lid closed and how hot it might get. Still a very nice setup for you, and I am dang envious, lol. I must have one!!!

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 08-05-2008, 04:43 PM   #25
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Thanks again! I've run two batches through it already, with the lid closed, and noticed no heat build up inside the box at all. Oh, and I guess I don't have that good of water pressure or my silicon hoses are thicker that others as there has been no buldging at all...

Old 08-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #26
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hmm, good to know on the heat.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 08-14-2008, 11:36 PM   #27
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
You should mount a Blichmann Thrumometer on the outside of the chiller so you can see the temp of you wort.
Any updated pics with the Thrumometer installed John? I only ask because I'm waiting to see them before I completely steal your idea and build one, LOL! I already bought the same tool box and a piece of MDF from Lowes.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:37 AM   #28
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
Any updated pics with the Thrumometer installed John? I only ask because I'm waiting to see them before I completely steal your idea and build one, LOL! I already bought the same tool box and a piece of MDF from Lowes.
Well, I have the thrumometer but it has 3/8" barbs and all my hoses are 1/2" - so I haven't done anything with it. I can tell you though that the external temp probe on my fermenters didn't rise above 73 degrees the last time I used it...

Merchandise: http://zazzle.com/deepsix
Projects: HERMs Setup v2.0 | Fermentation Cabinets | Milling Station | Wort Chilling Station| Walk-in Cooler | Kegerator

"If thair is no gas bing pasted thru the air lock check for a leak."
"Handcrafted Brewing - A guide for All home brewers!" by Stan Richards, RFC - Copyright 1992.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:41 AM   #29
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beere View Post
Well, I have the thrumometer but it has 3/8" barbs and all my hoses are 1/2" - so I haven't done anything with it. I can tell you though that the external temp probe on my fermenters didn't rise above 73 degrees the last time I used it...
I had the same issue with the Thrumometer John. I also use 1/2" ID silicon tubing and when I did use the Trumometer I just cranked down on the hose clamps to seal the 1/2" tubing to the 3/8" barbs. It looked like crap, but it did seal. I was curious how you were going to deal with that.

You're very adept at solving problems like this John so please figure something out so that I can copy you and not have to think about it any more, LOL!

Old 08-15-2008, 04:51 AM   #30
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

A line splicer fitting would be one very practical way of dealing with it. You just need a short bit of 3/8th ID tubing on either side of the Thrumometer, and two of these 3/8 to 1/2 inch splicers.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Quick Reply