Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My new false bottom

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013, 03:38 AM   #1
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default My new false bottom

I've been using a SS braid in my mash tun and it works well but I notice that when I was stirring my mash I was shoving the braid all around and sometimes when I finished a batch and was taking the grain out the braid would be sticking up like Dilberts tie. I had thought of a false bottom for a while but didn't want to cough up the cash. Then I saw a couple of folks DIY false bottoms and I got an idea. I could have the best of both worlds!

So here's my new false bottom. I bought a deep dish aluminum pizza pan on Amazon for $10, drilled a million frick'n holes in it and then cut out a "mouse hole" so it would slip over the top of my braid fitting in the side of the tun. It fits great and if I want a seal around the fitting, I could just pack some cotton in there before I start my mash.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I should have a brew day coming up in a couple weeks. I'll let you know how it goes. Meanwhile, let me know what you think!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Felixio
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 41

It looks great!
I'd look into getting that seal so you don't get any grain slipping through on you.
Also, do you know how much dead space that leaves behind in a 10 gallon cooler? I'd love to know for when I try something similar.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
KingKlong
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I would drill holes in the side wall too. Maybe just a row or two close to the bottom. That way no wort will be left between the tun and the false bottom.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
lazyzbrewery
Recipes 

Looks good, I like the idea a lot. Just added to my DIY list !

Old 04-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 32

So are you keeping the braided tubing on in addition to having this false bottom on there? If that is the case, I wouldn't think you would need to worry too much about sealing up the "Mouse Hole".

Old 04-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Thanks for the feedback all! I will measure the dead space and let you know. Guestimating, the pie pan is about 1 1/2" so I think I'll have plenty of room (it's a 10 gallon cooler)

Yes, I'm leaving the braid in place because I think it is a better "filter" than the drilled holes.

I probably will drill a row or two of holes in the side - I just got tired of drilling after a while!

Quick Reply