*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My new brew system, a brutus 10 with some nice modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #361
midnightbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

yes, both pilot and thermocouple connected. pilot is functioning, but I have not verified that the thermocouple is functioning properly. how would I do that? and yes, the knob is set to 'on' :-)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #362
ShaKeyJ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbrewing
yes, both pilot and thermocouple connected. pilot is functioning, but I have not verified that the thermocouple is functioning properly. how would I do that? and yes, the knob is set to 'on' :-)
If the pilot flame stays on, then the t-couple is good. Is the gas valve yer using for the proper gas?

Old 10-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #363
midnightbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I think so... it's the same model as most folks on this thread have purchased. http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-V...lve-11588000-p

Old 10-18-2012, 12:46 AM   #364
midnightbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

upon further inspection, the gas valve is for 3.5"WC and my regulator is standard 11" WC. so it looks like I do have too much pressure at the valves and it's locking up. as I look closer, perhaps I need the LP conversion spring kit but I thought the valve was already situated for LP... if the spring conversion isn't the answer, would I just find some in-line 3.5" WC regulators?

Old 10-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #365
ShaKeyJ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbrewing
upon further inspection, the gas valve is for 3.5"WC and my regulator is standard 11" WC. so it looks like I do have too much pressure at the valves and it's locking up. as I look closer, perhaps I need the LP conversion spring kit but I thought the valve was already situated for LP... if the spring conversion isn't the answer, would I just find some in-line 3.5" WC regulators?
Most gas valves can be converted from natural (3.5) to LP (10 or 11). Seems like that would take care of it.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #366
ShaKeyJ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaKeyJ

Most gas valves can be converted from natural (3.5) to LP (10 or 11). Seems like that would take care of it.
Yes. Use the spring conversion kit. that's what I meant to say.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:22 AM   #367
midnightbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

yeaaaahhh... so about that whole "research" thing. I didn't do mine.

well I feel sheepish.

Thanks for the help getting me turned around and in the right direction. except for a couple of 304 stainless pieces; that was the last hang-up to the first brewday on my new stand! I'll get some more photos working in a little bit.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #368
jsw585
Recipes 

Hey Josh or anyone else that can naswer,

I have completed the control panel for my brewing rig. Today when I connected it to the brewing rig (i.e. the gas valve solenoid) I over heated the tranformer and blew the fuse on the main load. I am using pretty much the same components as Landin's rig.

I did a control panel dry run Friday before connecting to the solenoid to check voltages at all the points. I indeed had 24V at the panel connectorsfor the solenoids when they were in both the AUTO (PID) mode and the MANUAL mode as selected by the 3-way switch. That 24V disappeared when switched to the OFF mode, as expected.

Today, I connected the cable from the panel connector to the solenoid on the gas valve to what I thought were the right connections, one being TH and the other TR (see wiring diagram for gas valve on page 7 of the above pdf link). When I powered on the control panel, I blew the fuse.

Upon opening the box, I noted the transformer to be VERY hot. I removed the cable from the panel connector so the solenoid was no longer connected, replaced the fuse and tried a dry run again. The fuse blew immediately. I suspect I have damaged the transformer and that is what led to the second fuse blowing.

Does anyone have a description for wiring the gas valve? I have the PDF that shows the wiring diagram for the gas valve, but I dont really understand how to modify it for this application. I suspect I have wired the gas valve incorrectly and thus blown the transformer.

Thanks for any help!!!!!

JW

Old 10-21-2012, 01:29 AM   #369
Commonwealth
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What is the volt amps rating of your transformer? I had bought one that wasnt rated high enough and could only power one solemoid at a time.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:43 AM   #370
jsw585
Recipes 

40vA. Didn't think of looking at that. I don't know what the Honeywell 8200 requires, though.

Either way, I'm only powering one solenoid during the mash. I'm using a HERMS setup, so I only need to heat one tank.

Sorry. My dad kept all the electrical-skill genes to himself.....

Sure do appreciate the help!!!

JW

Quick Reply