Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My kitchen tap setup (basement kegerator)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
mangiant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default My kitchen tap setup (basement kegerator)

I did a bunch of searching/research here before I did this, so I figured I'd post in case someone finds what I've done useful.

Here are the parts:
-Simple chrome dual-tower w/ heat exchanger etc
-Perlick 545PC faucets
-2 line beer trunk line
-Used 5000BTU AC unit (kijiji, $40)
-Coleman "party stacker" cooler
-RV antifreeze
-Digital aquarium thermometer
-Marineland Maxi jet 1100 powerhead/pump

I got hooked up at a local commercial "beverage distribution" company with everything but the chiller (ie - AC, pump, cooler). The tower has some sort of heat exchanger that the copper glycol lines run through to cool the shanks/etc.

Step 1 was to find an AC unit on kijiji. I found one for $40 with dials - exactly what I wanted. This turned out to be one of the easiest parts of the whole project.

The AC unit actually had a sticker with the wiring diagram. It was simply a matter of connecting "red, white, blue wires" and boom, "low cool" mode. I used an STC-100 from eBay as a temperature controller.

The only AC unit modifications required were:
-Remove the exterior.
-Remove the squirrel cage
-Cut approx 1/3 of the plastic bottom away

I chose the cooler I did because it has quite thin sidewalls. I cut a notch out of it, then dropped the AC unit on top. This required absolutely no bending. I then used the foam/etc that I cut out and a ton of aquarium sealant/adhesive to seal it all up. Not pretty, but it should work. The glycol level isn't this high anyway.

Connecting the STC-100 was easy - it's a simple unit.

I set it to 1C and switched it on. After the 1min compressor delay setting, it kicked on. Around 1min later it started getting cold. I then watched the temp drop approx 1degree every 15 seconds - my jaw dropped!

It hit 1C on the display after a few min. The temp continued to drop (the glycol wasn't circulating, no pump yet) and hit approx -1.8C. I didn't hear it kick on again for another 4hrs.

I think 5000BTU is enough

The pump I bought is rated for 6' head. It barely made it - I had to suck on the return line a bit (and spit out some nasty tasting glcol in the mean time - I recommend drinking some strong beer while doing this to wash the flavor out of your mouth . One running it was all good. We'll see how long it lasts.

I also bought a $12 aquarium thermometer, and jammed the sensor in between the 2 beer lines and 2 glycol lines at the tap. This way I can verify line temp etc.

Anyway, here are some pics. Sadly, I've gotta wait a week for my homebrew batch to finish =(

If you have any questions, ask away!

Summary:
-Get a 5000BTU AC unit. Any more BTU is overkill. I might even remove the stock fan and replace it with silent PC fans.
-Get an AC unit with knobs. Not sure how a digital unit would compare, but this seriously couldn't have been easier to setup.
-The STC-100 does a great job for this. No need to spend more than $15.
-Get a wife like mine, who'll let you put a beer tap in your kitchen

PICS:
My new kegerator. Found it on kijiji as well, $70, no freezer. This is pre-chiler setup.

My taps:

The trunk line. I had to tape it up to compress it to fit it through the 2.5" hole I cut in the floor & cabinet. Not fun pushing it through, but was too cheap to buy a bigger hole saw.

The aquarium thermometer. NOTE: This is while it was cooling down, approx 10min after I turned it all on.

My AC chiller unit

The STC-100 temperature controller. I should probably put all the connections into a box, but for now they're just marette connections.

Inside the cooler. Didn't get a pic while I was doing it, but this shows how deep the heat exchanger is:

Here's the notch in the cooler:

EDIT: I'll post an update once I get the beer flowing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 AM   #2
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

nice job, I think you will quickly want more than two taps though

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

Old 03-26-2013, 03:22 AM   #3
mangiant
Recipes 

One step at a time

Actually, my next step is to somehow rig up a "removeable" drip tray with rinser. I don't want to cut any more holes in the counter, so we'll see...

Old 04-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
mangiant
Recipes 

A quick update. Just filtered/kegged my first homebrew batch in almost a year. The beer is OK, the tap is great!

Old 04-02-2013, 03:47 AM   #5
mrkrausen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I love the idea and how you integrated it into the counter top. Great work. It has me wondering how I could do something similar to run down to the basement! /scratches head

I'm in over my head...fortunately that's right where I like to be.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

A buddy of mine has been tossing this same idea around with his wife. Will definitely need to show him this.

Handmade Chalkboard and Dry Erase Tap Handles

We are one of the few that offer a Black Dry Erase version tap handle and we have some of the lowest prices on the market.

Custom Idea? No problem, just shoot us an email with your thoughts and we can work it out together.

AleYeahDesign@gmail.com

My Keezer Build

Old 04-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
VonMessa
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

About ready to do this, myself.

4 faucets on the kitchen wall should do it...

Für lange zu leben, ist wie eine Katze und trinkt wie ein Hund!

mangiant Likes This 
Old 04-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
golfduke
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

great stuff. I coin this 'grassroots' remote faucets.

How far away from your kegerator are your taps?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
mangiant
Recipes 

Thanks guys.

I believe my trunk line is around 25ft long total. It's 3/8"x1/2" micromatic line.

I was/am a bit worried about line pressure etc. My batch hasn't fully carbed yet, and I havent' played with pressure (sitting at around 12PSI right now). So far it's good with the flow control set wide open. I guess I'll have to wait and see how it turns out in the long run!

One more detail: The aquarium thermometer indicates a 1C increase in temp from the chiller temp. Not too bad

I have the chiller set to 2C, which results in a ~3C tap temp. The exterior of the tower is around 14C (20C ambient), measured using an el cheapo IR thermometer from China. The tower was insulated as well.

Quick Reply