The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My kgerator build.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #11
Lilrascal
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just wondering how the copper pipe is working to keep the lines cool? Any excessive foam on the first pour?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 12:44 AM   #12
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie2Hottie View Post
looks great. i like how you made such a large wood base. i bet that tower is very sturdy. it should give a "quality" feel to the whole thing when pouring.
have you considered adding a fan for circulation?
I wouldn't want to test it, but I wouldn't doubt if you could suspend this thing by the tower! Yes I plan on installing a computer/muffin fan that will help to circulate the cold air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi View Post
looks perfect!!! good job! mine works awesome except for the cheap taps... they get stuck all the time and its a pain!

just need to pull the trigger on some nice ones.

Other than that I am sooo pleased with mine.. actually I think I will have a pint!
Yeah I figured this would be a one time splurge so I went with the Perlicks. I got the 525's, but I did think about getting the 575's (Creamer), but I was already dropping a ton of cash, so I reserved myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewslut View Post
Nice Build A+!
Thank you, I am proud of my kegerator, 2.5 more weeks left for my Witbier, and I'll be pulling my first pint!

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Last edited by Schnitzengiggle; 05-05-2010 at 12:51 AM.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:49 AM   #13
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilrascal View Post
Just wondering how the copper pipe is working to keep the lines cool? Any excessive foam on the first pour?

Thanks
I haven't gotten any beer in it yet I'm certain it will be fine. I also ordered my Love temperature controller, but it will be another 6 weeks before it arrives. (Special order, w/blue LED).

Old 05-05-2010, 02:46 AM   #14
daveooph131
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzengiggle View Post
I haven't gotten any beer in it yet I'm certain it will be fine. I also ordered my Love temperature controller, but it will be another 6 weeks before it arrives. (Special order, w/blue LED).
I'm getting ready to build a kegerator with the same unit...Couple of quick questions.

1) How sensitive are the coolent lines. If you knick them with the puddy knife are you ok? I mean I know you don't want to hit with the drill but...

2) Did you just measure where you drilled your initial holes in the unit, and then do the same measurment on the piece of wood so you knew where to drill?

3) Do your tower bolts run all the way into the fride or to they just run into the wood and then stop before the coolent lines?

4) Lastly, when you pour your first pint let me know, I'm wondering how many feet of beer lines I should get...so I'm curious to see how 10 ft work for ya.

Thanks for the post, inspiration for my soon to be project

Old 05-05-2010, 04:14 AM   #15
Jaybrinks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Nice Job!! I just finished my kegerator build....same fridge. Looks great! One thing I am not liking about this fridge is.......I have my OE temp controller set to 1....the lowest setting, and it is still under 30 degrees.....anyone else having this problem? I'm probably going to have to get an external temp controller.....more $$$$

Old 05-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #16
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveooph131 View Post
I'm getting ready to build a kegerator with the same unit...Couple of quick questions.

1) How sensitive are the coolent lines. If you knick them with the puddy knife are you ok? I mean I know you don't want to hit with the drill but...

2) Did you just measure where you drilled your initial holes in the unit, and then do the same measurment on the piece of wood so you knew where to drill?

3) Do your tower bolts run all the way into the fride or to they just run into the wood and then stop before the coolent lines?

4) Lastly, when you pour your first pint let me know, I'm wondering how many feet of beer lines I should get...so I'm curious to see how 10 ft work for ya.

Thanks for the post, inspiration for my soon to be project
1) I assume the coolant lines are aluminum, so if you were to hit them with the putty knife or any sharp knife for that matter you should be fine unless you were really putting some pressure on them. I mean, they aren't made of aluminum foil or anything, so while care should be taken, they aren't going to be punctured extremely easily.

2) Yes, first you'll have to decide where the hole under the foam insulation in the fridge will be, then you can measure your wood and top. Fortunately, the grid on the underside of the top, and the grid the top formed in the foam insulation makes it fairly easily to make the measurements. Don't get me wrong, it is difficult to be extremely precise, but if I can do it anyone can do it. I am handy, but I am no engineer.

3)The tower I purchased from Kegconnection was supplied with screws, which aren't too long to penetrate all the way down to the coolant lines. So to answer, no I did not run the bolts/screws all the way into the interior of the fridge. It is unnecessary IMO. If you have a wood reinforcement the size I used, you will not have any trouble with stability whatsoever. My tower is very solid.

4) I will PM you in about 2.5 weeks when I pull my first pint off of this bad boy. The math says I only need 4-5' beer line (resistance) with the height of my tower, but I have heard horror stories of excessive foaming, so I went with the 10' lines as a precautionary measure. It is easier to shorten than lengthen, right? Apparently 2oz/second is the goal to achieve for the perfect pour. A well balanced system will have minimal foaming, and pour relatively quickly. the American Homebrewer's Association has a great draft beer resource which can be found here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybrinks View Post
Nice Job!! I just finished my kegerator build....same fridge. Looks great! One thing I am not liking about this fridge is.......I have my OE temp controller set to 1....the lowest setting, and it is still under 30 degrees.....anyone else having this problem? I'm probably going to have to get an external temp controller.....more $$$$
You are both lucky and cursed to have this problem, I have heard of individuals that have had problems keeping their fridge at a low enough temperature at the highest setting. It makes me wonder if at the factory, they installed the knob properly. Iis ther a possibility that it is turned all the way up, when it is actually showig a 1? Try setting it to the highest level and see if it warms up at all. Otherwise, I have all of the wiring info that you would need for a temp controller on this fridge. PM me if you need wiring info.

I have not even plugged mine in yet. No reason to use electricity unnecessarily. Having said that, I will be installing my Love TS-2nTemp controller ASAP. I special ordered the model w/the blue LED, (40 day lead time) It should ship June 30th.

But a fellow brewer has the same fridge w/picninc taps and has had not troubles whatosever.

Good Luck!

p.s. PM me if you have any other qustions. I plan on outlining a write-up for the temp controller install.

Check out the link in my sig if you want to follow along, I update it as much as possible.

Tyson.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #17
maxamuus
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 34

10% off Lowes coupon online at http://www.lowes.com/cd_Lowes+Moving+Center_509684072_

Old 05-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #18
daveooph131
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Picked up the fridge this morning...tower should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to start.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #19
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

UPDATE:

I added a Love TS-2 Temp Controller:

And magnetic chalkboards:

I made liquid housing for my temp probe:

And I added a fan:

I plan on fabricating a plexiglass cover for the wiring using the original thermostat housing as a template, I should be able to get it to sit flush. I'll probably leave it clear because I thnk it looks cooler to be able to see the wires, but I did think about painting it white to hide the wiring completely, we'll see what actually happens when I get around to it.

The fan helps reduce condensation, but far from eliminates it. I think the last thing I will add is an Eva-Dry to do away with the condensation.

Later, I will probably move my co2 tank to the outside just because I have to leave the door open so long when switching kegs, or adjusting pressures, but for now it is not a priority.

I have the thermostat set for 38°F with a 3° swing, during the summer it does not fall below 36°F, but in the winter when the house is cooler inside it reaches 34°F. It cycles on and off equally, about every ~40 minutes, with the off time slightly reduced in the warmer months, maybe 30 min off, 40 min on with our thermostat in the house set at 78°F.

If you click on the this Broken Glass Brewery link or the one in my sig. I have a detailed write-up on the wiring, and I include a wiring schematic (thanks to ClaudiusB). So all the info you need is there if you are interested.

If you have questions feel free to ask.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #20
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Is it okay that I bump this because I am so uber proud of it, and no one has bothered to comment

Quick Reply