Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Kenmore 8.8cf coffin keezer build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Tat2nBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default My Kenmore 8.8cf coffin keezer build

Ok, I just got a bunch of stuff in today for my build. Please be patient because I am not sure how often I will get to play with this project but I normally have more free time in the winter so that is why I am starting it now.

First off, Thanks to Jester and the countless others who have worked out a lot of the details already. You surely will make my build easier than if I was to try it without such great resources.

I am going to try and keep a running tally of the total amount spent and also the time I spend on the project so other will have an idea what to expect in the future. Sorry about the crappy phone pictures but my Nikon D80 lens just went in for repairs. I hope to have it back in about a week or so.

Here are the parts that arrived from Keg Connection today plus two ball locks that I had purchased last year from them.

Here is my new Kenmore 8.8cf chest freezer.

Four ball locks fit nicely on the floor and there is still room for a co2 tank on the floor also.

I popped the lids inner plastic liner and seal off.

I used some colored electrical tape to mark what wires went to where just in case my memory fails me later.

Today I spent maybe an hour unpacking everything,taking the lid apart, removing the lid and the hinges from the freezer to have better access to everything. I also took some accurate measurements of the lid and base so I can start messing around with some sketches to decide which way to go forward. My big decision is whether to skirt the front and sides of the freezer or just trim out the base nicely and allow the black freezer body to be visible. I really like the idea for the wood grain appearance but I am nit sure if I can pull it off to the degree that I would like it. I want to have this in my dining room or den when it is finished. I may have to enlist the help of my father and some of his wood working goodies that he has.

I marked all the wires to the lid but I am not sure if I will use any of them when I reassemble because it is just lighting and the passages to the coffin might need to be located where the light is. Not to mention I have not decided if I am going to retain the plastic lid liner or use a sheet of plywood like some others have.

Totals:
1 Kenmore 8.8cf chest freezer $300.68 with tax from Sears(on sale)
4 Premium faucet refrigerator ball lock conversion kit $280.00
2 Cornelius keg upgrade $99.90
1 Taprite co2 regulator dual body upgrade $35.00
4 525SS upgrade $100.00
1 16x5 Stainless drip tray with drain $79.95
2 additional kegs bought last year $107.85

Total to date: $1003.38
Time to date: 1 hour

Questions for the pros: How is everyone supporting the bolts through the lid that hold the top in place. The soft insulation and flimsy plastic liner will completely collapse with the slightest pressure. I was thinking about using a 3/8" plywood panel on the inside of the sheet metal lid to stiffen everything as well as distribute the load across the entire surface by sandwiching the metal. Then I could either slightly condense the original insulation and replace the plastic liner or use 1/2" plywood and 1" solid foam insulation under the plastic liner. That will also eliminate the unsightly screw heads from being visible. Does this sound like it would be strong enough?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
Wilden
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

subscribed

Old 11-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Why is it called a 'coffin' keezer?

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 11-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
Demon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have the exact freezer with four taps. I did a simple collar. Very curious to see how yours turns out. I may have to modify mine.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
Tat2nBrew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHoppyGuy View Post
Why is it called a 'coffin' keezer?
Because my SWMBO may very well bury me in it if she knows what I am spending on it...
Old 11-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #6
DrinkDR
Recipes 

On my freezer, I designed mine to slide over the top. Has side supports that "pinch" the top, then has a groove that I made with screws. The groover is smaller than the top; this works because the plastic sealing is maleable and slightly smaller. The counter slides on top of the freezer top and stays on it as I lift it up, all the way.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #7
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Can't wait to see it all come together. I love reading and following though coffin keezer builds. By the looks of that fancy new freezer and your kegging equipment, your off to a great start.

What types of materials are ya thinkin'?

Old 11-04-2011, 02:19 AM   #8
Tat2nBrew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkDR View Post
On my freezer, I designed mine to slide over the top. Has side supports that "pinch" the top, then has a groove that I made with screws. The groover is smaller than the top; this works because the plastic sealing is maleable and slightly smaller. The counter slides on top of the freezer top and stays on it as I lift it up, all the way.
That is an interesting idea. Do you have any pictures of that?

Old 11-04-2011, 02:30 AM   #9
Tat2nBrew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppopotomus View Post
Can't wait to see it all come together. I love reading and following though coffin keezer builds. By the looks of that fancy new freezer and your kegging equipment, your off to a great start.

What types of materials are ya thinkin'?
Thanks you! Wood and some tile but not exactly sure what kinds yet. Going to look at a couple of the local lumberyards and see what is available. I do not know a whole lot about woods so any pointers would be great.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Where are you putting it when your done? You can try to match the decor of your trim, cabinetry, furniture, etc. I did mine in a very rustic design to fit into my basement design....lots of cedar logs and knotty pine, but the sky's the limit with these things. Check out my thread if your interested, it's in my sig. line. I'm happy to help in anyway that I can to get you going with this project!

Hoppo's Rustic Basement Bar Build:

Hoppo's Knotty Pine/Cedar Log Keezer Build:

Hoppo's Rustic Dual Fermentation Chamber Builds:

Hoppo's Motorized Grain Mill:

Hoppo's Rustic E-Brewery Build:

Quick Reply