New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Keezer Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
Lilrascal
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default My Keezer Build

Well I have just gotten started in the homebrew hobby. In fact my first batch of beer is not even finished yet, it is an amber ale that is currently in the secondary. But I can tell you I already have the bug. When I first started reading the forums, I spent to days reading the "show us your kegerator" thread". As soon as I started reading the thread I knew that I wanted to build one too. I read each post, bookmarking ones that I found interesting. The I came to the holy grail of keezers: Jester's magnificint build. It can be seen here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-project-31221/index13.html#post710605. I just knew this is what I wanted to build. I spent the next day reading his build thread.

I then PM'd Jester. He was nice enough to send me the sketch up files. I can not give him enough credit, and hope he feels honored that I have cloned/copied his design. Now obviously his is a different size freezer, and I had to design mine with that in mind.

In the past I have dabbled in woodworking, and had a small shop at our old house. But once we moved 4+ years ago, I never got around to setting it back up again. This gave me an excuse to dust of some of the tools, and set them up in the garage, as a temporary workshop.

What follows is my chronicle of my build. It will be in somewhat in real time, so it may take me a couple months to finish. I am looking forward to sharing with you all, and getting ongoing opinions and advice. I can only hope it turns out half as nice as Jester's, and I hope my beer turns out good too!

More posts and pic's to follow soon.......

Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
Lilrascal

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

First step is to buy a freezer. I went with a Sunbeam 7.2 cu ft model. I got this at a hardware store call Menard's. It happened to be on sale the day I got it for $169. Not a bad deal:

One of the reasons I went with this model is it had the coils in the back of the freezer. This way I could have the front and sides enclosed and not worry about overheating. See below:

I am planning for four taps. Three dedicated to beer, and a fourth dedicated for soda/rootbeer. I am easily able to fit three corines in there. There is room for a 10 lb CO2 tank, and I am planning a 2.5/3 gallon cornie for soda to fit on the hump.

More to come......

Old 05-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
OsbornBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice start, and welcome to club!

My advice, I just finished my build, would be: BE PATIENT do not fill that sucker up until you are finished. I was so excited to get started And SWMBO was so eager to get fridge space back we moved beer, yeast and a keg into the freezer once the controller got here and that was HUGE mistake. No matter how tempted you are don't do it!

Keep the pics coming"
CHEERS!

Life's too short to drink diet beer.
Osborn Brewing, LLC
Friend us on Facebook
Monroe, OH

BREWS - Brewing alot, kegging alot, bottling more, updating less, check Facebook if you need to know for sure

Old 05-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
Lilrascal

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsbornBrewing View Post
Nice start, and welcome to club!

My advice, I just finished my build, would be: BE PATIENT do not fill that sucker up until you are finished. I was so excited to get started And SWMBO was so eager to get fridge space back we moved beer, yeast and a keg into the freezer once the controller got here and that was HUGE mistake. No matter how tempted you are don't do it!

Keep the pics coming"
CHEERS!
Thanks. The controller is here, but I am waiting. I guess it is easier to wait since I don't have my first batch ready yet!!! I plan to bottle first batch, I need to learn that too.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:56 AM   #5
Lilrascal

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I had asked Jester if there was anything he would do different. He said he wished he used a higher quality wood. That helped me make the decision to go with cherry. I decided to start on the base cabinet first.

I purchased some 4/4 cherry to get started. First step was to joint, plane and dimension it to 3/4 stock. Then I cut out the rails and stiles for the cabinet:

Next step was to use a router table to cut a 1/4" dado to accept the cherry plywood panel and join the rails and stiles.

Next I used a dado blade to make the tenons on the rails that will fit into the stiles.

Next I cut the cherry plywood into the correct panel sizes. I used 1/2" cherry plywood. I cut a 1/4" deep rabbet in the back. This is so the front would still have a 1/4" reveal. I did this at the router table with a rabbeting bit.

That is as far as I am in the project. Next step is to sand everything, then glue up the cabinet panels.

I will keep you posted.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:19 AM   #6
Jersh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

nice work...

I just picked up a used 8 cf freezer tonight off Craiglist for $40, and I'm going to start building it up into my keezer tomorrow.

Please keep us posted, looks like you're going to have a nice one when it's finished!

Last edited by Jersh; 05-07-2010 at 02:32 AM.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:19 AM   #7
KingKegII
Recipes 

Heh, using words like "dado" and "stiles", you sound like Norm. And remember there's no more important rule than to wear THESE safety glasses!

That cherry already looks nice, can't wait to see it come together.

Good luck with the project.

Cheers

Old 05-07-2010, 02:38 AM   #8
kegtoe

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

nice start

Motorized my grain mill

Old 05-07-2010, 04:58 AM   #9
kmat123
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Good looking build but why wouldn't you just build a taller collar so that you could fit a 5 gal. corny on the compressor hump?

Empire Brewing - Bend, OR
http://empirebrewing.wordpress.com/

Fermenting: Guv'nor ESB
Kegged: Ominous Black Ale, Molotov IRA, 2011 Below Zero Barleywine, Cream Dream Stout, Amarillo IPA, Apfelwein

Old 05-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
Lilrascal

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmat123 View Post
Good looking build but why wouldn't you just build a taller collar so that you could fit a 5 gal. corny on the compressor hump?
I thought about adding a collar, though was quite content with 3 kegs. Plus I was quite fond of the idea of not having to mess with the original freezer seal. The idea of adding a fourth tap for soda was kind of an afterthought/bonus. 2.5 gallon batches of soda will be more than enough for just SWMBO and my self.

Quick Reply