Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My insane 25 Gal, 100 Percent Hard Plumbed Tri-Clover, Automated Tippy Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #551
finsfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1728 Times on 1213 Posts
Likes Given: 3521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff View Post
Good point with the machining. So here is what I'm talking about, see that ring of rust? Obviously it needs hit with some BKF to clean out but that groove would not be there if it was sanitary.

Attachment 172667

As far as them being machined. The left part is from glacier tanks, you can see the machining. The right came from stout tanks. Looks cast then polished like you said.

Attachment 172668
Just a heads up incase you dont like the double picture posting

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/thos...iphone-454165/

Cant wait to see the whole thing put together. You 2 have some amazing and inspiring builds going on here

Drinking helps fight against Radioactive poisoning. The survivors of Chernobyl were drunk at the time. Drink up HBT!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #552
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 294 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflip_mj
That's exactly what I'm talking about! Thank you for posting pictures. In the future if like to get a away from these threaded electric ball valves. But in the mean time, I don't want to spend the coin until something cheaper hits the market. For a few months there I was working on sanitary electric ball valves. I was making progress but the costs seemed unreasonable for a homebrewer. Not only that I spent around $500 on RD that didn't end anywhere. now that I just mentioned this, I think I figured out how to fix a problem. Hmm what if I came up with a solution and just posted it for free so that anyone can create a valve without my added costs?
I haven't seen a close up of the ball valves you are using. Could you have a local welder drill out some end caps and then weld them on? If the ball valves are fps you would need to have them turned smooth too though.

VOTE, n. The instrument and symbol of a freeman’s power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #553
kickflip_mj
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I haven't seen a close up of the ball valves you are using. Could you have a local welder drill out some end caps and then weld them on? If the ball valves are fps you would need to have them turned smooth too though.

Thats exactly what I was thinking about doing. What do you think it will cost to have a machine shop lathe the threads out of a stainless 1/2 ball valve? Hmm maybe I should buy a small lathe and give it a go

Old 01-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #554
Stealthcruiser
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 1930

Hmmmm.......I don't THINK, that any of those "tri clover" fittings are cast.

The "polished" vs. "machined" look is probably from the polished one going into a "vibratory" de-burring / polishing machine after manufacturing.

I could be mistaken.............I was once.

Corned Beef............The other pink meat.

Lost_Arkitekt Likes This 
Old 01-18-2014, 02:35 AM   #555
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflip_mj
Thats exactly what I was thinking about doing. What do you think it will cost to have a machine shop lathe the threads out of a stainless 1/2 ball valve? Hmm maybe I should buy a small lathe and give it a go
That I couldn't tell you. I do want to find a welder to tack some TC fittings to my counter flow though. If you want to buy a lathe, I'd recommend looking into the HF mini lathe, I've come close to buying one many times. Also http://www.mini-lathe.com is an excellent resource to get started.

VOTE, n. The instrument and symbol of a freeman’s power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #556
cfrazier77
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflip_mj View Post
It has been a long time since I was in a metal shop but I think using a milling machine would be easier than a lathe. But any competent machine shop should be able to knock that out pretty easily.

Happy Dog Brewing

Old 01-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #557
Thirteen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthcruiser View Post
Hmmmm.......I don't THINK, that any of those "tri clover" fittings are cast.

The "polished" vs. "machined" look is probably from the polished one going into a "vibratory" de-burring / polishing machine after manufacturing.

I could be mistaken.............I was once.
I guess this makes twice. Still, an enviable record.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #558
kickflip_mj
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
That I couldn't tell you. I do want to find a welder to tack some TC fittings to my counter flow though. If you want to buy a lathe, I'd recommend looking into the HF mini lathe, I've come close to buying one many times. Also http://www.mini-lathe.com is an excellent resource to get started.

Just drill out the TC end caps and solder them on like I did, it was super easy! imageuploadedbyhome-brew1390077064.585152.jpgimageuploadedbyhome-brew1390077152.083931.jpg

Old 01-19-2014, 04:08 AM   #559
maierhof
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I recently used a pro welder down here in the bay area (mtn view) and he has a machine shop next door that has worked with him from time to time. The weld was 20 and the machining was 30. I had a TC 2" cap drilled out and had a 1/2" Tee , where i had the shop take out the threads one one side of the T, then put that end into the cap then had it welded (this is the base to my pressure fermenting in sankes btw) The finished product looked like a thing of beauty... I should take a pic and post it. I did feel like I was paying too much for that but you get what you pay for and as an hourly rate it aint that bad...imho

Old 01-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #560
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Just drill out the TC end caps and solder them on like I did, it was super easy!
that might be what I end up doing...I suppose stainless to stainless is no more difficult than soldering stainless to copper. Right now I have some of those screw on TC fittings but the goal is to not have any threads because I'm lazy and hate cleaning them

Quick Reply