Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/)
-   -   My idea of an immersion chiller (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-idea-immersion-chiller-135200/)

nostalgia 09-04-2009 02:10 AM

My idea of an immersion chiller
 
My old IC was tall and narrow, causing a lot of it to sit uselessly out of the wort in my new, wider brew kettle. So I grabbed a 50' roll of 3/8" copper from the Ebay. Other ingredients were a tubing bender and two Push-to-Connect Wye fittings from McMaster-Carr. I use this type of fitting on my coffee maker/filter/softener connections and they're fantastic.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...r/chiller1.jpg

I decided to do the same thing I did on my old chiller - instead of one big 50' run of copper, there are two separate 25' runs, one going from the top down, the other from the bottom up. My theory is this will give better heat transfer since the two coils are in different parts of the wort. Whether it works better or not...*shrug*. It gives me something to do anyway ;)

Anyway, I cut the coil in half and started with the outside coil. After getting the coil around the bucket I measured and bent the stalk that would go to the top of the kettle.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...r/chiller2.jpg

Next I wired up the joints where I wanted them, cleaned and fluxed them.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...r/chiller3.jpg

I soldered the joints (using a lot less solder than I did last time - little dab'll do ya!) and moved on to the inner coil while that cooled. This one went around a corny.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...r/chiller4.jpg

I formed the legs in the same way, making sure the runs went in the proper directions and met up properly with the outer coil. I made sure the inner coil's bottom-up leg was opposite the outer coil's so it could support the back of the chiller. It makes for a nice, solid chiller.

I then soldered everything together in the same manner. I slid on the push-to-connect fittings, attached the garden hose quick connect and I was done! Just about an hours' work.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...r/chiller5.jpg

Attached a 3/8" hose to the output side and my water source to the input side to do a pressure test. Looks good, can't wait to try it out!

Thoughts and questions are of course welcome :)

-Joe

Brooklyn-Brewtality 09-04-2009 02:17 AM

looks pretty good. let us know how it performs...

but, you didn't want to incorporate a whirlpool into it? no pump?

nostalgia 09-04-2009 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berserker_Brew (Post 1526311)
looks pretty good. let us know how it performs...

but, you didn't want to incorporate a whirlpool into it? no pump?

Well, my old one performs really well so I'm expecting good things.

I have whirlpool fittings in my boil kettle already.

-Joe

Brooklyn-Brewtality 09-04-2009 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nostalgia (Post 1526322)
Well, my old one performs really well so I'm expecting good things.

I have whirlpool fittings in my boil kettle already.

-Joe

ah! very cool.

nostalgia 09-16-2009 01:47 AM

Put the chiller to the test today. Started chilling 5 gallons right after flameout with 68F water from the hose and using the fittings on my kettle to make a whirlpool.

Temp went from 212F to 100F in 7.5 minutes. It got down to 73F after 20 minutes, when I stopped.

-Joe


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:21 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.