The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My horrible, yet functional, brew sculpture

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default My horrible, yet functional, brew sculpture

I bought me some 1x1x1/4" angle iron and a welder, and decided to see if I could pull it off... I did so, albeit horribly. It holds all my weight though, and I weigh 230 lbs, so thats looking pretty positive. All the images are in the gallery, so I'll be linking from there, but take a look:

I think its 3 images per post, so I'll put up another few in an update

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?

Recipes 

Here's some more:

There that should give you all a few laughs

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Last edited by pompeiisneaks; 02-23-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: added image links

Old 02-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
slykwilli
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't know anyone that started off as an expert welder but luckily practice makes perfect!

Old 02-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wow, did a bird poop on your brewstand or is this your first time welding?

Seriously, thats better than I could have done. I suck at welding. Good on you for DIY.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 2698 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Did you use the hammer at all to chip away at those welds? I'm no welder and have only laid down a handfull of beads myself, but I wouldn't trust those.
Is the whole thing level/straight?

It is still better than my non-existent one though. A+ for effort

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 02-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?

Recipes 

I've got the chicken head hammer and have been hitting them... A few broke away, and I had to retry its "mostly level/straight" It looks to me like even though there's a slight irregularity to it, its very strong/stable. I banged around on all the welds... I need to clean it up still. I'll take the angle grinder to it tonite to clean up a bit. I also still need to weld on the keg support areas on top, but want my kegs to arrive (should all get here this week) before I size them. That way I know how big to make their platforms... Just big enough for them to overlap a bit...

Thanks for the comments... Yes its my "first welding" since high school, which was over 20 yrs ago :P. I vaguely remember how it all worked, and by the time I was almost done, I was finally getting some good beads out of it.

The other good thing, is that now, I have a welder, and can fix it if it doesn't work well

Old 02-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I had a structural engineering professor that was fond of saying, "even a sh#!y weld will take the design load...once" I remember as a kid the basketball goal's rim at the end of the street broke one time. Of course one of the nice neighborhood dad's had a welder and came down with his ladder to fix it. And fix it he did, until after a few hundred times being impacted and vibrated by shots and of course it broke the first time we played. After several more attempts at fixing it, he eventually replaced the rim with a new one.

I'm not an expert, but from the photos you posted it doesn't look like you've actually bonded the metal. It also doesn't look like you preped the weld sites very well either. My guess is that with repeated loading you are going to start seeing joints come undone. I'd be careful. You get an A for effort though. I'm not trying to be harsh, but I don't want you to end up many gallons of boiling wort being dumped on you crotch level. And God forbid if you have any kids around.

Next time be sure to clean the weld areas thoroughly to remove any possible oils and oxides. You can do this by sanding the area down to pristine bare metal. Also, you need to preheat the weld area to ensure proper bonding. The strength of a weld is from the two individual pieces bonding together, not from using the weld stick as glue.

Also, with using such small angles you're not going to get very much moment resistence at the individual joints. Racking forces are probably the weaklink of this structure. You could vastly improve on that by adding a few cross braces to take the moment loads off of the joints.

Here's a link about basic welding practices: http://www.wikihow.com/Arc-Weld

Last edited by keelanfish; 02-23-2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Added useful link

Old 02-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think your brewery name should be "Scalded to Death Brewing".
Good luck with it though.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I think it ranks high up in the ugly junk category!!!

I could just see Biermuncher's keggle sitting on top of that thing...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I could just see Biermuncher's keggle sitting on top of that thing...

Only until you filled it with water.

Quick Reply